Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Decisions Decisions

Well, Good Morning. It's clear on this mountain, but, I know down in the river valley there will be fog. I just got my morning dose of view point. As so you know, I'm sitting here making up the gumption, while listening to Cracker, to go to town...Town, that urban configuration where people gather for the greater goodness...What ever that is. Opinions vary, but for me it would be a plate of eggs, slice of bacon and the rare weekend cup of coffee. But, then, I'm debating a family reunion today and those have a tendency to be high calorie. Decisions, decisions.

It's been a split weekend for me. Yesterday, Saturday, for you confused folks, I was at Ft. Jackson for a Brigade conference. Two weeks ago it was Greenville NC...Yes, North Carolina...Which is way on the other side of North Carolina from me...About the biggest thing here and there have in common is the Governor...Then of course there was my trip to Kentucky to the littered banks of the Ohio. That was preceded by two Drills in June. It's been a busy summer that ain't over yet, but, I'm not going to lament. Lamenting has been a misdirection of energy to me. Even when I was a little kid. Heck, I sometimes forget that I ever was a little kid. And then at the same time I long to be a big kid. Not bigger, but, kiddier.

It's quiet. The dogs are quiet. There's a light breeze and between songs I can hear a cricket.David Lowery is singing into the microphone "You know what time it is, you know what time it is".

Time to go.
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Family reunions--possibilities of blessings and curses have never been so close together...

If you get down to Greenville next week, let me know--I'll be in the Wilmington-Pinehurst area.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, ain't it the truth. The County Manager is my second cousin, and he knows roughly how I feel about things around here. I think he was a bit nervous about speaking to me. But, I left him alone. He seemed relieved.
I didn't hang around but an hour or so. I was the only one of my Grandaddy's bunch there. Not nearly as much of an attendance this year. I'm getting that everyone is worried about H1N1. It's here in the county and we've had a death from it. My Aunt's Preacher. I've seen others mention that the reunions are a little slack this year.

You might have misunderstood me. I was in Greenville (Winterville to be exact) the 24th. I have to be in Atlanta this next weekend.
Speaking of Wilmington! The Ionosphere smiled upon 2 Meter this morning. Had a fellar from Wilmington make the Mt. Mitchell Repeater, WA4BVW (145.190-). I spoke with him for a few. A little noise, but good audio. I later hit Columbia SC (146.715+,PL91.5)part of the www.scheart.us system starting at 5 Watt, but was not very audible until I did 25. I was on Pilot Mountain, Midwest 5/8ths wave ss wire whip, Yaesu FT-2800.
The guy in Wilmington was putting out 45 Watts with a beam. Can't remember his rig.

any how, sage, when your Down East next week, bring your cooler, your going to need it.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get that "plate of eggs, slice of bacon and the rare weekend cup of coffee" at the infamous Huddle House in Brevard? I enjoyed our conversation over the weekend. I am sorry I missed you. My daughter and Virginia Leigh Montgomery have gone home from the hospital although Elsie is still on pain medication as might be expected after only two days. I laughed when I read your comment "about the biggest thing here and there have in common is the Governor." Greenville, North Carolina is way over pretty near the coast of North Carolina. It is a long way from where you are. It is not the Outer Banks, but it is far enough. I hope you went to the reunion . . . we don't seem to value them as much as we once did, but then I sometimes think we are disappearing . . . families are so small now or nonexistent . . . my father-in-law came from a family of 10. My two grandmothers had six and four. I had two and now my daughter has three . . . Virginia Lee being a surprise . . . a wonderful surprise. Take care. Bill

9:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, Bill, it is different down there. It's flat as a pancake, People will fight you over BBQ and it's about 10-15 degrees hotter. Actually ate in a BBQ place (Parkers) that had a Deputy posted. Not sure what that was about. Maybe some of those Western BBQ fans sounding off.
I did make it to the family reunion, see my comment above. A little slimmer this year.
Again, Congrats on the new Grand Daughter.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I've discovered that trying not to lament just makes me lament more.

I felt like you in my latest blog entry because I included a video. Unlike you, I chose a good song. ;-)

6:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lament if you wish, Murf, but, I'm going to have to see this video your lamenting about.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I did have the video posted like you do but I kept getting errors whenever I went to the page so I exchanged it for just the link. Hopefully it worked (I never did check). I'm sure you are familiar with Shinedown.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I am familiar with Shinedown. Wrote the book on pain, all of that...Th Anti Cry Baby Song.
As for your video, didn't picture Ballet to that...Other than anorexia danger, what's so bad about Ballet that would make a parent freak. Don't get it.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home