Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Disbelief

I tried a new way home out of Athens this last weekend. I took the wrong turn and went through Danielsville. Danielsville is a cute little town. Once I figured I was heading the wrong way, and was getting back on track, I crossed two Deputy Sheriff cars. I looked down at my speedometer...Great, I'm doing 65 down a two lane Georgia road, I'm getting pulled... As one of the cars came on that thought left my mind. I saw something familiar on one of the cars front tag...A Ranger Battalion Scroll...One of Us. I nearly threw my hand up, but looked at the Scroll. Rangers usually don't make very good cops and simply walk away with a bad taste in their mouth. I've never known one to stick with it long, and for reasons I won't get into, it's a Ranger thing. I was almost in disbelief to see a Ranger Bn Scroll on the front of a cop car and then I was relieved. Its good to see your own, its good to know your out there. Rangers don't "take care" of each other, we look out for our own. That is something that few people understand. It was obvious that neither of the Deputies were worried about me once I got close to them. I would have expected no favor. Honestly, I would have tried recruiting the guy into my Company. Then I spent the next few miles wondering why the guy was a cop...I can see the initial lure...Maybe it was the economy.
This brings me to another thing. I've known many a cop through the Army Reserves. Every thing but Federal. Some of them have been damn fine people. But, over the years I've noticed the ones that spent a deal of time talking about being a cop, "I'm a cop this and I'm a cop that", a premadonna, if you will, didn't stick with the Army Reserves for a long time. No matter how much Active Duty they had behind them. The ones that do stay are the ones that you generally don't make a big deal of it.
I'm of the opinion that too many people from the Military cross into Law Enforcement. It's like a whole class of people that can't do anything but hold a Government job. Don't get me wrong, a few, well, that is fine. But, to me it seems chronic now. It could have some very serious problems in store for us as a Nation.

But, if the Ranger turned cop in Madison County Ga is reading this, thanks for not pulling me over. And I'll keep it closer to the speed limit next time. RLTW.

The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was being written a speeding ticket when the officer asked me what I was doing coming through his town. I told him I was going home from a substitue teaching day. He stopped writing the ticket and said that his wife was a teacher and he didn't write tickets on teachers. Praise the Lord! I slow down every time I go through that town. I have not forgotten that kindness. It puts a responsibility on you sometimes that is much more than a fine which reminds me of how much respect I had for your training and was in awe of it. I can read a uniform, and I agree with your comments. Take care. Bill

11:31 AM  
Anonymous a.g.t. said...

No way would I be a cop. Not that I disrepect the profession, but it's so darned hard to be a good one, plus the pay sucks, unless you're at the state or federal level.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Chuck Connors said...

There's too many of us 'beholden' to the 'guv'mint.' Perhaps recent legislative activities in Montana and Tennessee will begin to change that. I am concerned with an upcoming FEMA exercise scheduled for July 27-31.
http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/fema-to-hold-regional-anti-terrorism-drill-in-july/
Direct FEMA link:

http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle09.shtm

This exercise will allow armed foreign nationals to carry weapons and interdict citizens of the U.S. on U.S. soil. This is not good. Unlike the constitutional outrages that were perpetrated on honest citizens in and around N.O.'s after Katrina I urge all citizen in the affected 'exercise area' to just say NO!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, proven oint, cutting someone some slack can go a long way.

Gunner, I hear ya. But right now, everyones pay sucks. Government employees around here are making more than the private sector, and that is a recipe for disaster. Then, that is another subject.

WNCWU, I read that, then some of it is speculation, FEMA is so vague that anything can be made of it. You don't really know until it happens.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Number one thing that I say to a cop is "Yes, Sir". Got me out of some stuff (mostly in CA, WI, and IL) and not out of other stuff (mostly in AL and VA).

Still, I've never been cracked in the head or hauled off to jail on trumped up charges. Normal charges, yes. But not trumped up.

Headed into the cell in Waukegan, IL for reckless driving (and it was)I was surprised that they thought it a serious enough charge that I might suicide myself and they confiscated my belt and shoelaces. Nothing makes you more nervous than to be in jail with a pair of pants that won't stay up. That's all I'm saying.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I've never had any scrapes like that. About the cloesest I've come, other than a ticket, was a cop that let me go because he knew my buddy snicked a beer into my truck. I honestly didn't know. He made my buddy pour it out. My buddy didn't go with me anymore after that.

I'll be back to writing here soon.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous twistoli said...

In short, Rangers don't respect double standards and that's why there ain't many in law enforcement. When you got "do as I as say-not as I do" lawmakers who make up laws and don't lead by example (the drunk ted kennedy for example who I'll never give any slack or that worm tim geightner), politicians who pick and choose which laws are in the books to enforce (immigration for example)and people who get away with murder (o.j. simpleton) or financial fraud (banks)and tax evasion (the worm geightner again)how can one be motivated to support anything so half-assed? That's bound to be why the prisons are full....double standards in law and justice...no good examples to follow...just the chaos of the ongoing congame (fascism is the bailing out of these banks etc.). Need I say more?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

There ain't a whole lot I can add to that, Twister, but, there are more reasons than that. Ones more personal.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices as regards the shoes were about 250 dollars everwhere. But for all I set this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were around 350 bucks on every page. But for all I found this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what do you think?

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging for that singular brand. The prices as regards the velcros were approximately 200 bucks on every site. But finally I set this locate selling them for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home