Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Dog Gone Update


Last summer this was little ol' Tippitan. Today she is Tip, and full of energy. She is now shedding the "puppiness" and starting to act like a dog. It's hard to get her to hush. She will bark and bark and bark...Sometimes at neighbors yard dogs wondering around, sometimes at a rabbit in the tree line, sometimes the distant calls of other folks hounds out the road. Two weeks ago it was a Sow Bear and Cub that walked around the house. The cub was a yearlin and will probably be ran off to make it on it' own this fall.



This is Rebel. He's a Plott Hound, has a few battle scars and a calm, friendly personality. He's about 8 years old or so. He's got a chop mouth like many Plotts. He has slightly longer hair than most strains of Plotts, but is still in the breed standard. He got a cough and I've fed him honey. For a few days he didn't eat. He did eat some grass during that time though. Fearing Kennel Cough, I gave him a shot of Penicillin. He's not as patient with needles as Squeaky is and moved on me breaking the needle off in him with the cup sticking out. The stuff went all over me and I'm allergic to it. He retreated into his house and I had to pull him out so I could get the needle out of him. His cough has slowed. He might have allergies. He has been eating better and is in good spirits.


You fans of Bosco...she is such a heathen...She did run a rabbit down today. She was seen carrying it around. Thunders going to get her.

Focus on the solution; exploit success.
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

I've always heard that dogs eat grass to soothe an upset stomach.

What's a chop mouth?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, usually hen hey eat grass, they vomit it as well. If they eat another dog's stool, they are trying to get more vitamins.

A chop mouthed dog has short choppy barks and howls. A bawl mouthed dog has long drown barks and howls. You usually hear the bawl mouthed dogs more than the chop mouthed ones. So, most people prefer a bawl mouthed hound.

8:53 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Tip's a beautiful dog--just back from taking mine to the vet for the annual check up and heart worms

4:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Heart Worms must die.

I'm still watching Rebel close. He's OK, happy enough. But, he still has that cough, it's like someoen coughing up flem. I thik he might have gotten a stick or something down inhis throat, but, I can't see it. I may be going to the vet myself.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I read it right when you wrote that a sow bear and her cub walked around your house? Wow! That beats the bo raccoon that came out of the chinaberry tree I had cut down. It is a wonder she didn't do daage to some of the dogs. About the Plott Hound, Rebel, is that kennel cough . . . a friend of mind has had a time trying to get her dog well from that . . . it just seems to linger on and on. OK, I am typing and reading . . . it proably was kennel cough. Bill

4:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I'm not sure of he has kennel cough, he's about to get another shot. He's not coughing as much right now.
A bear is sill hanging around, I was told by someone that saw it last night behind the house and I saw sign of it today. We about always get on mid summer, it's a little early.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late one night as I lay in the hospital bed a nurse answered my call for help . . . the kidney stone finally hurt more than I thought the morphine shot would . . . she scolded me saying you had to get the shot ahead of the pain . . . she was so big . . . a late night nurse . . . all I could say was, "Yes, mamn!" Well, Rebel's plight reminded me of that night some years ago . . . poor Rebel. It is a good thing he is a Plott Hound from the mountains. I bought a new computer finally. I hope I can keep up with the adventures of the Appalachian. Remember, a sow bear is worse than the worse shot. Take care Bill

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new computer is a beaut . . . now if only I can make it work. Bill

6:23 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, you've got to hit it real hard on the top and say "Damnit!"

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup! Bill

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home