Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Unintended Stimulus.

Rain. Rain. Rain...Let it rain. It's doing what it's supposed to be dong this time of the year. In places where you push 100" of Annual Rainfall a year, it doesn't take much to miss it.

Wiggly
Tip, that Pup I posted about a few months ago, well, she's a big Dog now. She's still full of puppy, but she's a big dog. As of Yesterday, Wiggly is gone. She needed to be around other Dogs, so, I sent her back to the boy that gave her to me so she could be. When other excited Dogs were around she threw her tail between her legs and looked around in gloomy bewilderment. She had some good abilities. She had a nose on her, would stick to a track, cat footed, good build with a good stance and alert. Just freak out shy. So in view of her abilities, we decided to try to get her socialized.
But, the gap is filled. I picked up a male Plott Hound about seven or eight years old. He was culled, for age, which is too early in my thinking, from Jackson County to someone that took him Down East and was impressed with him, but couldn't keep him. So, I've got another Chop Mouthed Plott in the back. He's just a bit long haired for a Plott, but he has the build. He's not quite as stout as Squeaky, but strong none the less. The only thing is, so far, no one knows his name...So, I've got to find the fellar that culled him.

Clinging to Guns and Money
Last weekend there was a gun Show in Asheville. The place was packed. Despite a recession that will drag on, people were buying what they could up. It was hard to find any ammunition in a sizable quantity. Either in quantity, or by the box, it was expensive. There were no real bargains, just decent prices. Anyone in the business will tell you ammunition is on three week back order. Suppliers are working over time to meet demand. Why is there such a demand? It has to do with a combination of reasons. One being "Mr. Cult of Personality" and a Firearms unfriendly Congress which shows a propensity to tax what they wish. Mexico, crumbling from it's own corruption (and our refusal to legalize drugs) and our own political elites are making(false)statements that 90% of Guns in Mexico come from the US. So, legislation is a concern. Another concern is the prices going up due to other problems in the market. As funny as it seems any time the Government prints money, we have inflation. Our Government is about to print off allot of money to make up for this spending bill that s supposed to save us from ourselves. We're looking at some major inflation to come. A buy it while you can attitude is is out there. So, so far, the only stimulus that Washington can get is an unintended one. Don't blame me, I voted Libertarian.


Speaking of...

Have you ever noticed that there more crazy mass killings in the spring of the year? Usually March and April. I can offer you no explanation other than those on edge are coming out of some Winter dormancy. I guess Spring is not all pretty.

I was supposed to post some pictures...I ought to remember that.
The Appalachianist.

15 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

I've never noticed a trend when it came to mass killings but now that you point it out, you're right. Wasn't Oklahoma and Columbine in the spring?

I went to Cabelas last Sunday and toured the gun area (not to mention all the taxidermied animals they have on display). Much like you pointed out, that area of the store was packed. I, however, got out of there as soon as possible.

A dog with no name? That's sad. I hope you can find the guy and find out what his name is.

good build with a good stance and alert
That sounds like you're describing your ideal female, AI. :-)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I'd like to use his original name. It got lost in the passing around. For now, he's Bob. You know Bob. Keeps his Mama's yard looking like she wants it.

Yeah, you can't help but like the alert ones.

6:55 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Glad you're getting some rain. Are the ramps up yet?

Last spring, a friend of mine who does his own reloading was complaining about the cost of shot and gunpowder--but it had more to do with metal being high (that market has crashed along with other commidities--which has had the opposite effect to inflation).

As for Spring killings, maybe those who carry our such destruction are suffering from sinus headaches that keeps them from thinking straight! :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, another thing that drove it up was the War. The more you use, the mor eit goes up, natural. It's funny though, at one point of my tour there was a 9mm shortage. The Iraqis shot commercial ammo, but not us. They had plenty, we didn't.

It's going on again today in NY. It's crazy.

I don't know about the ramps. It should be soon.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, after the drought you have to love the rain. I hope you get your 100 inches. After 10 years my computer has died . . . it has had the nine lives of a . . . dare I say it . . . a cat. I am using my daughter's computer to keep up with it all. I could discuss . . . er, argue . . . the drug issue, but I don't know much except I don't like them period and don't use them. The mountains have more than their share of trouble with drugs. Anyway, I think you are right about the coming inflation . . . will you get your Wiggly back . . . er, after she is socialized? Have you thought of or what do you think about a Boykin spaniel? Bill

6:39 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

At Cabelas, I saw the oddest things...collars for hunting dogs which are hooked somehow to remotes that the owners use. How does the remotes work with these collars? I hope they aren't shock ones. What happened to the good ol' days of training your dog to come back by a certain whistle?

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, those remotes were most likely shock collars. That's not to come back to, but to keep the Dog straight. It can be used to break up fights, keep them from running off game and so on. The trick is to not let the dog associate the shock with you, but the behavior. I know people that swear by htem.

Bill, I hate to hear about your computer. But ten years is a long time for one of these things. Heck, my truck jumped timing today.
We do have a drug problem here as much as allot of other places. Being illegal doesn't stop them.

Boykin Spaniels. I don't know much about them other than the breed started in Spartanburg. They're bird dogs.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Since I first read your post about a week ago, there have been five mass killings. I'm not sure whether it is just spring, as you say, or if you are some kind of a prophet.

We don't have hunting dogs, but dogs, yes. Last week one took up at my daughter's place near Columbia, SC. It is a six month or so old Pit Bull cross and she has been feeding hime and trying to socialize him. She contacted animal shelters to try to place him but they all have maximum quotas on Pitts and they are all full. Because of the rep, people are scared of them. The best dogs I have ever had have been Pitt crosses. Poor dang thing looks like a furry skeleton and that's after it has been eating good food for a week.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Three and Ten, I have no idea why it is so. This is an odd time of the year. It's very windy at my place now. Spring is sort of struggle. And, gosh, I hope I'm not a prophet of such things.

Most Pitt Bulls are really nice Dogs. I think the biggest problem with them is the breeding. Poor, not so selective breeding.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

But doesn't the use of them just mean that the dog isn't properly trained or just a personality thing like yours that preferred rabbits to maybe bears?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, nothing says that she does preffer rabbits. She's never seen a Bear. I was being sarcastic.

Shock collars are a means of training a dog. These ain't yard dogs being house broken. Allot of the time the dog is at some distance, with strange dogs and in a world of temptation.Sometimes they need to be broken from habits. Like running Deer.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't argue much with anyone's suggestion as how to deal with drugs. It is as bad as any thing that happened to anyone with alcohol. As I have said, my grandson is part Choctaw. What I haven'tsaid is the fact that he has a wonderful great uncle who has been torn out of the frame by drugs. It breaks my heart. The Boykin spaniel was bred from a little dog found near Boykin in the 1880's who took to water like a duck. He is actually named after the little town/village of Boykin in Kershaw County southeast of Camden. The community, I believe, gets its name from a family that lived in the area. They ran a grist mill that dates from the 1700's that still makes stone ground grits. Grits is made from corn. (Ain't I being smart. That was for the Yankees that might be stumbling into the best blog in Appalachia) I'm sorry to talk so like a know it all. Speakin' of the Boykin is kinda like a secret with me and the dog. I loved and hated the darn thing. They are the happiest of dogs, and my thinkin' was nothin' could be that darn happy short of a 1st sargeant giving out extra duty. They are a beautiful dog with dark reddish brown color. Like the Plott that you are so rightfully proud of, the Boykin is one of ours. It is, I believe, the state dog of South Carolina. Still on my daughte's much newer computer. Bill

12:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I wouldn't say you sound like you know it all. I knew that the main dog, I'm assuming the Sire, was a stray that follwed a man in Spartanburg. I didn't know the Kershaw county part. Last summer I knew a woman, smart lady, that her and her daughter had one. She lived near Spartanburg, but had no idea that the Boykin Spaniel had ties to there. I never met the dog, but she spoke highly of it. But, Bill, I now do the job of a 1SG (I'm on the E-8 List) and it doesn't make me happy. Nothing makes me happier than everything running smooth. With a name like Boykin, you'd be a happy Dog too.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous twistoli said...

First of all I'd like to say the mexican ambassador, Feinstein, and hillary rotten clinton are all liars of the same litter of dog. Secondly, given a choice, instead of getting rid of our firearms and giving international tresspassers amnesty, I say get rid of the tresspassers, along with those who would coddle them and keep ourfirearms. Thirdly, since I have made MY OWN CHOICE already, those who would circumvent the constitution and attempt to initiate the pipe dream of disarming America, can go STRAIGHT TO HELL, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200, AND WHILE THEY ARE ON THEY'RE WAY THEY CAN GET SODOMIZED BY THEIR DEITY, THE DEVIL, ALONG THE WAY! That should be how strongly we feel about the subject. No need to be ashamed.

2:43 PM  
Blogger surroundedbydogs said...

Is there any other way to get a dog to stop chasing deer? Other then the shock collar?

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home