Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, February 06, 2009

Snow Capped Balsams

This has been a cold week. Yesterday morning there was ice nearly across the Forks of the French Broad and shelves of ice hang in about every stream. Grave Yard Feilds and Black Balsam Knob showed white from the snow this week. Nothing to amount to anything fell on the Upper French Braod Valley, it was all north and west of The Balsams. Morning before last it was 5 and didn't bust 24 all day. But, from noon yestarday to quitting time all that snow up there went away. We still have hints of a dusting laying around. It's supposed to hit the 60's this weekend. Warm weather betrays Winters intenet.


Screen Door - Uncle Tupelo

I'm off to Athens Gee Aye this weekend, with forcasts in the 70's. Lap Top is still in the garage. Probably hanging from a cherry picker...

Did you know that John Hinckley Jr was kicked out of the Nazis for having a bad temper? No wonder he gave Jody Foster the creeps.

The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like trivia so I found that very interesting about Hinckley. One of the best bits on US Nazis that I saw was when they started heaving chairs at the audience on Geraldo's show.

I think one connected with his jaw at the entrance to their compound one time, also. Geraldo never could seem to interface well with the Nazis.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

During the first part of your entry, I made a mental note to stop any job hunting in N.C. but then with your last bit about the 60's, I'm back to looking there.

Have fun this weekend. If there is such a thing as fun on this type of weekend away.

11:41 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I use to think the mts of NC were pretty cold in winter... it was only 2 degrees here this morning and that seemed pretty normal! Those hills are beautiful with a dusting of snow.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I have me some Uncle Tupelo. I also have some Wilco and Son Volt. I kept reading about the critical acclaim of those bands and the pure genius of Jeff Tweedy.

Sorry, it was all lost on me. There was a good song here and there on all of them, but overall, found 'em over rated.

I'll take Whiskeytown or Ryan Adams.

Might be headed to Hot-lanta next week. Gwinnett County, close enough.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All we got was a dusting of snow too-and the cold mornings that lasted through the day. Warm and sunny now-feels like spring.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ice nearly across the Forks of the French Broad and shelves of ice hang in about every stream . . . " seemed to describe so well what was happening a few days ago. I went hunting some information about where the Forks were, and I concluded, correctly or incorrectly, that the Forks you are speaking of are near Rosman. A few weeks ago there was that kind of snow to the north of Dillard, Georgia . . . a dusting of snow on the upper elevations.

When I looked for information about the French Broad, I quickly realized that there was so much information to be learned about the river. One fact theat jumped out at me was that a million people get there driniing water from the river system. I wouldn't have thought that so many folks could be found in that part of the world . . . people . . . they are everywhere. Bill

1:54 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Morning Folks. I've got a bunch of catching up to do.

Most interesting! There was an opening on the 2 Meter band this morning, with a fellar in Cincinatti hitting WA4KNI's Repeater (147.105) on Bearwallow Mnt in Northeast Henderson County NC. He sounded good, real clear.

Ladies first, boys...

Murf, you are determined to be a Southerner. It was a pretty good weekend.

Tipper, I never did hear what hit over there. I heard more about Haywood and Buncombe than anything. But, boy! Wasn't it a nice weekend?

Gunner, forgot about Geraldo. There's no telling about what Hinckley did.

I'm out of time, I'll catch yun's.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, Yes, thay can be pretty cold, but being as close to the Gulf as we are, we can catch those Highs spinning the warm air in, then it goes back to Winter. 2 degrees....Ouch...Oooosh...

Ed, I'm a Son Volt fan of course. I have been since Trace. Speaking of they will be in Asheville next week. But then, DBT cam to town for two nights and I didn't bother to go. I have seen them about three or four times...Long story. But, the Uncle Tupelo Song, caught on the lyric about the snow not lasting. That was Mississippi of course. I always make paralells with the music, but few catch it, if any.
Son Volt is good, but a bit dry in show.
Gwinett? Your three hours in the distance.

Bill, you got it right, Forks of the river are next to Rosman, but not in sight of the town. What much of a town is there, and as for the drinking water, between here and Knoxville, I would suppose...LOL, don't drink the water in New Orleans.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, Ed, I see. It didn't play the whole song through. I hate it when it does that, that's the trouble with Imeem, you never know when it will or won't.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home