Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Greener Pastures


Pastures Of Plenty - Woody Guthrie


I had Drill this past weekend. It was a long weekend. Usually I get to stay at the Navy School in Athens, which is pretty nice. This time, due to every Reserve Unit in Athens Georgia and their subordinate units from different towns there for the weekend the Navy School was full. I got to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It didn't make me feel a damn bit smarter. I've been going into work at 0400 and Saturday was no different, I left home before 0400 to be in Athens before 0630, to be in Atlanta at 0830. I didn't catch up on rest Saturday night. At 0100 I had to lay in bed and listen to two rowdy kids getting arrested outside of my room after they ran up and down the hall making all kinds of racket. All kinds of racket plus Good Cop/Bad Cop equals not a whole lot of sleep. But, I'm glad Good Cop/ Bad Cop showed up, actually it was Hotel Security Guy, then Good Cop/Bad Cop. All kinds of racket was in a state of intoxication and was worried Bad Cop was going to shoot him. It wouldn't have bothered me if she did. Athens is a nice town to visit. It has some Beautiful Women. I wouldn't want to live there, no offense to the Classic City.

Alpha Company is getting back to strength, little by little...Schway schway...I've picked up a Sergeant and a Lieutenant, which is the Company Commander now, also a Private that is still in High School and will be leaving for Basic this Summer. But, then I may be losing one of the members of the Company shortly, due to moving out of state. Something to do with a divorce and greener grass.

I read that people are fed up with California. They are moving out as quick as they can. Seems it's no longer Pastures of Plenty.


My Pastures of Plenty must always be free...
The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of those Kalifornians may go back to their roots, Oklahoma. Which is not a bad state, just a little flat and the wind can kick up a bit now and then but not a bad state. I've been there several times and I've been to worse places.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, my Brother spent a year or so out there, Oklahoma that is. He didn't care for the winter. He said it wasn't like the winters here where you see green. Not where he was at. Also I used to work with a guy that grew up on Ft. Sill, he said the same about the winds there. And, those winds help bring the dust bowl, so people left. Now people are leaving California because it costs too much.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I didn't know that the Holiday Inn Express was suppose to make one smarter but then again, I haven't stayed in one. I haven't felt especially smart after a stay at a Days Inn but I did after a Hampton Inn but it could've been that I was fooled by their plush, white comforters into thinking they were clean and not covered in..uh..what's the nice way of phrasing this..."stuff" like the tackier bedspreads that I'm more familiar with.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You've not seen the commercials, Murf. Yeah, one never wants to eat pizza on a motel bed. Yet, someone is doing it as we read this...The staff was nice, but gosh, it's $90 for a room!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to get to the Woody Guthrie song . . . I guess he roamed over all of it wind or no wind . . . he supposedly disliked God Bless America and wrote This Land is Your Land, This Land is my Land . . . which use to include California too . . . and Oklahoma with all that wind . . . a child of the Dust Bowl you could say . . . but two rowdy kids . . . don't you have to be twenty-one to drink . . . I know it's done and what better place to do it . . . a motel and without a designated driver to get you to bed . . . anyway I am headed to the foothills and Westminster, South Carolina and a trip to Georgia to the Dillard House to visit and in the meantime take a blanket with you to keep warm . . . how cold is it going to get in them there hills? I am still gonna try to get to the Huddle House in Brevard . . . it has not left my mind even as my mind is leaving me . . . take care. Bill

10:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, it was less than 10 when I left, that's all I know. I'm a little worried about the Dogs. They can handle it good, and I threw extra bedding in their houses. You can stick your hand in there and they've got it warm. But, until I go out there and see it for myself, I worry about them not having a good night.

Ol' Westminister, the pearl of Oconee. Get your gas at Sharon's on 11. It's cheapest there. As for the Dillard House, theres nothing like getting good down home cooking served to you by Latin Americans.
For a bit of my history, take a ride further up 441 into Otto NC. You'll pass Mulberry Creek Rd on your left, you'll see a Church. Go a little further and you'll see a little store called Peek's on the left sitting on the top of the hill. Before it, right before Calvary Church Rd, there is an old barn like structure on the left, a little grown up around it. That was my Great Grandfather's wood working shop. You'll find him standing right inside the cover of Foxfire 4.
Forget a blanket, bring a sleeping bag.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, did you not be able to get Woody to play? No one ever says anything, other than my Brother about the Imeem player.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

That's because some of us know your taste in music, AI so we try to refrain from clicking on any audio/visual things you add. :-)

(Here's hoping that you don't notice that I put 'On The Road Again' on my blog)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Murf, I needed to be antagonized.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home