Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's Not Pretty And It's Sad

Deer Season didn't end on a pretty note here. The last day was pretty enough, but terribly cold to start. The last day ended in someone dead and that hanging over someone's head. I, myself, ended it sitting on the Pisgah and Nantahala Forest Boundary. Plumb across the County at a place called Turkey Pen on the Transylvania and Henderson County line a "Mexican" fellar went looking for Galax and was mistaken for a Deer. The shot killed him.
Galax is used in some ornamentations, collecting it can bring some money. Collecting wild plants and selling them is known as "Wildcrafting". These "Mexicans" that's come into this country have taken up Wildcrafting. I've heard of them cleaning ginseng out of places, not leaving any behind. It's just another of the things going on here. Now, Galax grows well under big mature Laurel and Ivey, moist, shady (not shaded out) ground. Which can be good places for deer to bed down. The man wasn't wearing orange, I don't know what he was wearing. But, once I read the story, one thing I did know, he was looking for galax. That's the most logical thing for him to be doing in "thick brush". Being the last day of Deer Season in Transylvania and Henderson Counties, it's legal to shoot a doe. So, pretty much if it's a Deer, you can shoot it. Someone took a chance, and it turned out to be a bad one. No one but those that were there and "The Law" knows what actually happened.
Chances are Luciano Martinez had a vague understanding of National Forest being Game Lands and Hunting was taken place there. He'd be alive today if he wore bright colored clothing or just plain hunter orange. Or, he'd be alive if someone had not taken a chance, and had a clearer understanding of what they were shooting. According to the news article, others thought it was a Deer. With what appeared to be a Deer, a chance was taken on a "killing shot". A chance that ought not have been taken. One that can't be taken back. That is all that is certain. I'm not pointing fingers. Ignorance speaks in a judgmental voice.

What is amazing anymore is the people (folks they are not)that we encounter with no idea that Hunting exists in Southern Appalachia. They don't know the difference between National Forest and National Park. One of my hunting partners encountered a couple walking through the woods, the Lady wore a coat the same color of a Deer's hide. He explained it was Hunting Season and gave her his orange. "You mean you can hunt here?", they say as if they have discovered a northwest passage. Most, innocently enough, wish you well or tell you of a dog they seen up the way and ask curious questions. Others, make little comments disapproving of you and what you do. After all, they are more civilized, educated and are certainly far more moral than though!

As years go by, I hear it from my fellow Hunters more. They wish hikers and bicyclers wore orange. Most hunters don't see the rules as being fairly applied. "We get a ticket for not wearing it and they don't. They're in just as much danger." Not that they wouldn't mistake them for an animal, but that they know when they're around! You take on a responsibility when you take a gun into the woods. The state requires that you take a Hunters Safety Course in order to get a license. They can't teach you experience and judgment. They can't teach anyone courtesy either.

The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

It's not pretty. It's Darwinism.

9:48 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Sad story. I tend to stay out of the woods during deer season. As for the "wildcrafting" (never heard that term), I know such folks have destroyed ginseng in many areas

9:52 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

That's an awful story, App, especially so close to Christmas.

I've heard similar comments about hunting from non-hunters. Overheard some girls on my undergraduate campus remark on how stupid hunting was. But then again I don't think she would appreciate the place being over run by deer. People have pretty well removed themselves from the food getting scene. Sad times because there is not much else to hunt the deer...and they are so delicious.

I know some states are working on trying to bring back hunting, promote it amongst the populace so to speak. Are there any such efforts out in your neck of the woods or have you noticed an increase in the amount of hunters?

Haven't heard about the wildcrafting, but there was a good article about a year or so ago about the dropping in the amount of hunters. The author was from a hunting family in Alabama I think, it may have been a NY Times article but not sure. He talked about how because people are moving to cities and hunting less, you are losing some traditions that have been passed down since people came over from the British Isles - like smearing the blood of a boy's first kill on his face. Makes my inner anthropologist sad.

But I hope you had a fruitful hunt and will have some delicious deer centered culinary awesomeness. I suggest pan-fried deer nuggets...hmmm yummy.

Merry Christmas all!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pip, as far as I know, there are no efforts on anyones part to promote hunting around here. If anything, there is a decrease in "active" hunters. Allot of guys do it when they're younger, something comes along and they put it down. Or they used to hunt a place, it went down hill and they just stopped. Once in a while, they will take the notion and go hunting.

Ed, I don't suppose Darwinism is pretty.

Sage, few people use the term. Few people do it anymore. But, yeah, if they don't leave any behind, there ain't going to be anything left.

I've got to get to work, you'll.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Thanks for adding to my list of reasons of why I don't hike or bike: afraid to get shot by idiot/drunk hunters. :-)

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure who said it but it goes something along the lines of, "Common sense is remarkably uncommon."

8:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I don't know, Murf, more people get shot in your Detroit than do in my Mountains.

Who ever said it, said it well, Gunner.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home