Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Wild and Free

First on today's agenda is politics. The election is over and now the great victory is getting all of the signs cleaned up. That has gone rather nicely, now you can see the real estate signs.
On the local scene, here in Transylvania County, we were able to retain two good Commissioners, Jason Chappell and Kelvin Phillips. A "Write In" Candidate, "Spud" Ayers didn't quite make it. He ran with the intent to fight the Noise Ordinance and the "Extraterritorial Transylvania Jurisdiction"*, ETJ. Basically the ETJ is seen as a move to make the Town of Brevard and the adjacent areas of the County more of a cute regulated gated community type...AKA Buttholeville. A new Commissioner was voted in, Mike Hawkins. As to how he will respond is to be seen. Fortunately, allot of people running for those seats did not make it. They were,notably, on the Democrat side of the house, though not completely, and are involved in real estate.
National Elections, well, they are more like popularity contests.

Second is I spent the week Dog Sitting. I was driving up Hwy 215 and came across a Walker sitting on the side of the road without a tracking collar. I made numerous attempts to get ahold of the boy and finally did tonight. He had thought he'd lost him forever. That dog was wore out when I picked him up, he could hardly walk. He was a pleasant dog, very friendly and apparently well bred. He was a Coon Dog and had spent that Saturday night running Coons. He'd had a blast, running wild and free.

Wild & Free - Hank Williams III

My own dogs had a good day last Saturday on the Appalachian Trail at a place called Winding Stairs Gap in Macon County. Twice we let them loose on a scent. Little Wiggly got lost n the first letting loose, and later caught up with the pack on a hot track crossing the trail yards in front of me. If I had been 10 seconds faster I would have seen the race. But at some point it busted up. The Dogs ran into Bear Sanctuary and trickled in. Wiggly found her way back to my truck and let a boy catch her. I was happy with her.

I myself have been pulling some extra hours and "playing hard when I can"...Plus I've got plenty to do for the Army.


*If you click on that lengthy PDF file and go to page 28 you will see a map of Transylvania County that clearly shows the Brevard Fault.

I'm done for the time being.
The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

AP, it sounds like you're doing just fine in them there hills

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't figure out that link, Dan, as I didn't see any PDF file to download.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading along early in the morning and I missed the PDF File too. I thought, if I thought at all, Extraterritorial Transylvania Jurisdiction was a link to a rock song (and I don't drink so you all can laugh at me). Finally, after reading a.g.t, I went back and re-read and did check out the map, and then I realized what a gem of information was in the file. On page 28, you can see the fault like a line across the map clearly. There was so much information about the county in that packet. Interestingly, the writers make note very first thing about Dupont closing. Were they textiles? Anyway, if I move to Translyvania, I can fit in at a place called Dunn's Gap (not sure) where many are as old as I am. I am listening to an audio on the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 and much is said about western geology. I think the Appalachians need to be revisited. It is interesting stuff . . . the Green River gorge, escarpments, and faultlines . . . might be an earthquake in all of that. Bill

7:06 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage,I'm trying. I suppose I' managing pretty well at it.

Gunner, I got it to work. It hung up on me this time, but it worked.

Bill, that Fault Line is very subtle. You'd not know it was there. It does follow Hwy 64 and so does the line on the map. There is a series f low ridges and hills that border the western side of the valley(on the faults left side) with some coves behind them. Now THIS IS NOT FACT, I'm no Geologist, but perhaps the plates helped form those, they are not independent of the Balsams, they lead up to them. That line does follow the Fault.

Dupont, later AGFA, made X ray film. There ain't nothing left there now. It's all gone.

Now some of the bullets on that file about preserving property rights and Mountain culture, and the actions are questionable in their actions.

A couple of years ago I woke, sitting up in bed to the sound of a rattleing glass cabinet and the bed was shaking, kinda of like a cheap motel, from a tremor centered at Fort Payne Alabama.

Dunn's Gap, Dunn's Rock, that's over on See Off Mountain. Allot of my roots go to that area.

I'm Hungry.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

"and the actions are questionable in their actions"...That sounds like something a politician sad in the last couple of months....
That's what happens when you watch the news and type at the same time.
But, some of the proposals are questionable in their actions. Now, does that make sense?

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I've figured it out. Click on the first link, NOT the second one, the Brevard Fault link.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Both of those links will lead to a map,Gunner. The second "College Kid" map has one on the Hendersonville Gneiss. Which happens to be about Dunn's Rock.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed with my children when they were young and of tender years at a motel just outside of the entrance to Pisgah National Park. They (the people who owned the place) rented that place by the hour. I knew my son had a chance to become an engineer that night when at the age of nine he made the damned TV work. I anin't gonna say what we found under the bed. Bill Clinton couldn't have explained. There is little more to the story . . . "cheap motel" . . . I am laughing I can't word process. I was embarrassed. Go get a late breakfast at the Huddle House. Good post . . . more information than I can take in easily. I am not a geologist either. Bill

8:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thats National Foret, Bill, not Park. Park is a four letter word.
That place is a drug store now. That place was pretty run down.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forest . . . forest . . . I meant to say forest . . . . The next night I had enough money to take the kids to Grove Park Inn. A young woman at the counter took one look at what was then a much younger man with two kids and taking pity on us said that a room had been canceled and we were upgraded. We stayed two doors down from a room where F. Scotts Fitzgerald had spent the night. To my knowledge there wasn't anything under the bed, but then I didn't feel the need to look. Another little story of my many wonderful trips to the mountains where most nights were spent at Davidson Campground in a tent. Bill

6:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Grove Park Inn, ate there, never slept there.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home