Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

If you are going to have a "debate"...

I found this on Bob Barr's Web Site. I seriously doubt we could see this happen. It would be good if we did though.

Press Releases › Barack Obama Can Debate Bob Barr
September 25, 2008 10:42 am EST

Atlanta, GA – With the recent proposal of Senator John McCain to postpone the first presidential debate, it is clear that the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) has no authority.

"For the past several elections, candidates have used the CPD as an official buffer to keep competition out of the two-party presidential contest," says Libertarian Party presidential nominee Bob Barr. "McCain publicly proved with his announcement what we've been saying all along: The candidates call the shots as to when to debate, where to debate and who to debate."

Barr continued, "Given Senator McCain's political stunt to avoid the debate, I ask that Friday's debate moves forward without him, as I am more than willing to step in to participate."

In the 1980 election, Ronald Reagan chose to debate John Anderson, one-on-one, without Jimmy Carter.

In the 1992 election, George H.W. Bush demanded the inclusion of H. Ross Perot in all three presidential debates.

"It's time that at least one of the two leading presidential candidates show leadership and provide the American public an opportunity to witness an open and fair debate, based upon substance and issues rather than sound bites and rhetoric," concluded Barr.

On Wednesday, Russell Verney, Barr's campaign manager, sent a letter to both the Commission on President Debates (view letter) and the Obama campaign (view letter) asking for Barr to be included in Friday’s debate. In his letter to the CPD, Verney wrote that including Barr in the debate would allow them to proceed as planned, noting that “Congressman Barr’s participation will provide a substantive and vigorous debate of the issues facing our nation.”

Libertarian Party presidential candidate Bob Barr represented the 7th District of Georgia in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003.

Could we?
The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Don't hold your breath! I can't believe his stunt of not wanting to debate at such a critical time for our country. As for Barr, I think I'd like to have him be one of the guys asking McCain/Obama the questions.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

That not wanting to debate brought me back to my school days and all the sweet talking we did with the teacher the day before a big test. What are your thoughts on it, A.I.?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, Sage, personally, I believe John McCain is sincere on this one. At least i want to. I don't think I'll agree with him, but, I think he is trying to do the right thing.
After all, WE DO PAY THEM to run the nation, not give us a business as usual election.

Also, I don't think Obama has the balls to debate Bob Barr. He'd get his ass kicked by the little guy. Obama won't give us a choice.

6:19 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Barr would have added a certain spice tot he debate to be sure. I liked the way the Lehr actually made them talk to each other instead of just spouting talking points. Probably the best Presidential debate I have ever seen.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they did have the debate. I chose not to watch. Pehaps I should have . . . waiting and watching for the "gotcha" moments. Of course, everyone said "their guy" did great or that McCaine looked too old or tired, and Obama was too inexperienced. The banking situation looks so huge that neither group is going to be able to blame the other for the problem. It is like a big bear in the woods doing damage . . . someone, anyone . . . shoot the damned thing or it will kill us all . . . . My! My! Does this mean we will have to behave like caring, concerned adults and actually work together to fix the problem. It is a little like hitting a class six event on the Ocoee . . . shut up and row . . . row like hell . . . and pray . . . but what the hell do I know. I am just ex-army. Oh, my one bank and its 100 shares, the Bank of Granite . . . a local, western NC bank has shares down to four bucks and fifty cents a share . . . look out Wacovia. I hate it, but . . . . Bill

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Watched the debate. Got what I expected, which was not all bad. Just not all good. Leher really tried to keep them moving in a straight line and is to be commended for trying.

AI, I'd think by now you'd realize that the Libetarian candidate has been effectively "Barred" from participating. (Sorry, but I had to do that.)

11:30 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You'll, I didn't watch it. Maybe I should have, but, I went to bed early. Slept rather nicely.
I figured it would be who ever is pulling would say their guy won. I figured it would be a big finger pointing yawning event. I guess I'll have to watch the replay on Youtube.

Yes, Ed, you can say Barr was Barred. The Establishment is well established.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the financial markets keep roilling, we will not have an extablishment . . . or one that doesn't look like a group of fools. Even if they get it right, this is a horror and a great, shall I say, loss of face. Bill

5:18 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, this is a horror. We're seeing allot of the Pot calling the Kettle black here. Finger pointing galore, and no better time to come than an Election Year.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home