Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ilex Vomitoria and The Road Warriors of Caffeine

Remember the Road Warrior movies? All of those people in the middle of no where expending all of that energy fighting over gas, while they were too lazy to walk. Tina Turner ran a city on pig shit. Chances are, they ate allot of pork chops too.

In Iraq we were standing on top of all kinds of oil, and the Iraqis didn't hardly have a drop of gas. Mainly because they were stealing it in one scheme or another. They would be so nice, but One had better watch themselves when it came to gas. To hell with you, Ali Babba. No pig shit there.

Now, if I was to post about nothing but gas, you'd be...Gassed out. It's all anyone is talking about. So, I'll hush on gas and move on to more important things.

I've got to stay away from caffeine, people. I'm a social coffee drinker and for good reason. But, I've found too many reasons to be social lately. As well, I have a thing for sweet tea. I've had laying in bed awake to wooziness to mind races. Let the Road Warriors fight over it. When it came down to it, those folks fought over nothing, but we did like the movies.

Some pot heads will try to tell you the Indians smoked that stuff all the time. That's propaganda. There's a war on drugs and the first casualty of war is the truth. The Indians weren't smoking "that shit". Caffeine was their drug of choice...At least in the Southeast. They drank it in a very hot tea made out of a form of Holly leaves. The Settlers(Europeans)called it "Black Drink", because it was black in color. The Indians called it "White Drink" because they used it for purity. They believed that because it made them vomit something fierce. Then with a dose of caffeine they would get an intellectual jolt. They only used it every so often. Smart people.

Maybe we could run cars or cities on the stuff.
The Appalachianist

15 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, actually they are finding out that caffeine is good for you, as long as you don't over do it. Of course that applies to about anything - it's all okay, just don't overdo it!

9:35 PM  
Blogger sage said...

that southern sweet tea--I stopped adding sugar to my tea in college, saved me lots of money and pounds. But I do like 2 cups of coffee in the AM. Sorry to hear caffine is giving you fits--I've been having weird dreams, but thought it was due to stress, maybe i should quite too? Nah.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, it is Gunner. In moderation. What is funny is I was at a Birthday Dinner for my Mother last Saturday night and was drinking tea. My Aunts exclaimed that I wasn't to the point yet where it would affect me the way it does them. Several members of the family can't have it.

Sage, maybe it's your subconscious. I've never correlated it to dreams. But, it does heighten your intellectual responses. I don't know if that is the case when it's consumed more often. Drinking coffee hot gets the caffeine into your system quicker.

Anyhow, good morning, you'll.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Eeech..sweet tea.

During your sleepless night, I bet you were still grumbling at your mom for cleaning your place when you were in Iraq. ;-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, sweet tea tastes allot sweeter than unsweet tea. Well, after I found where she put everything, it wasn't so bad. I wish it was as lean as then.

1:23 PM  
Blogger A.G.T. said...

Well, Dan, when I'm in certain parts of KY and most of the south I'll let 'em pour me some sweet tea. I don't think barbecue tastes right w/o sweet tea.

But here at the house we drink green tea, cold in the summer, brewed hot in the winter. It's an acquired taste but we got into it because of the catechin polyphenols. Actually, stir some honey into it and it's not too bad tasting, either.

Bon apetit'

7:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I like Green Tea. I bet it's good with Honey in it. I may start doing that myself. Good idea.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I like the way you make a point, such as saying that caffiene will give one an intellectual jolt, and follow it up with an example such as "Murf, sweet tea tastes allot sweeter than unsweet tea."

Just busting your chops, Hellbilly.

I only drink 2 kinds of tea. Sweet tea at home or with family. Rasberry iced tea at restaurants. And yes, I most certianly do consider Hooters to be a restaurant. A dang good one, too. I don't know. I'm no purist or tea snob or anything like that. I figure that I like the flavor of rasberries and I like sweet tea and if you want to put the two together, well I'm all for it.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You got raspberries in my tea! You got tea in my raspberries!

Ed...Hooters. I disagree, the best thing about Hooters is the help. I went to a Hooters while I was in Lacrosse Wisconsin. The girl that waited on me had everything a man could want, but a personality and some sense. She was still the best thing about the place. The food was greasy for the price...I say greasy and everyone at the Huddle House knows me by name. While I'm there I drink Sweet Tea. In Lacrosse, I had to "sweeten" it myself.

Ilex Vomitoria grows in Florida, you know. Next time the ol' store is out of coffee, Ed...

6:18 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, as I'm sure you've surmised, I crack myself up.

You say Huddle House, I say Waffle House.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, the biggest difference between Huddle House and Waffle House is, we don't have a Waffle House.

Reality cracks me up.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been gone for a few days . . . up to Westminster, South Carolina and over and down to Clayton, Georgia, and over to Dillard . . . well, you know how it is. I can't wait to get back and look at the latest Appalachian Patria musings and we're talking about Tina Turner and pig ----, pork chops, and caffeine? Someone has had too many cups of coffee, which reminds me. I saw that picture . . . does anyone remember what Tina in her role would say . . . something about justice or what? Anyway, caffeine can still keep my blood pressure sky high and awake looking at the ceiling at two o'clock in the A.M., but if I'm awake Ike can't sneak up on me . . . I know he's out there . . . someone spotted him last week in Texas . . . they were all talkin' about it on TV . . . caffeine makes me paranoid too . . . did I tell you? Now, . . . Ali Babba disquised as Ike . . . that's a thought for a fifth cup of coffee. Bill :>)

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I have to "fix" everything. I'd fix Ilex Vomitoria if I knew what it was . . . you all just lay back and let ole Ike do it do you . . . you know Ike and Tina never got over one another . . . and Hooters . . . since when does anyone go to Hooters lookin' for any sense . . . not even hot coffee and ain't Wisconsin in the North? Were they Yankees in the first War of Nothern Agression? I wouldn't trust them with an elephant . . . and I don't lend my elephant to nobody . . . a Hooter girl with sense . . . ain't that what real smart, educated women (men ain't that smart) call an oxymoron . . . whatever that means . . . but years ago and far away I ordered "hot" tea for a cool autumn's day in Woodruff, South Carolina . . . they took my "sweet tea" back in the kitchen and boiled it. It was so different I just didn't have no more to say about it. :>) Bill

2:11 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, We were about to send out a search party. Then I remembered your Dillard House run. Just up from there on 441 on the left is another eating place tucked away, I hunt with that boy that owns it some.

The metropolis of Westminister.

I've got business so, that's it for me on the comments.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Green Tea said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful information for Green Tea

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home