Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

MI-17 Watch



The Mystery of the MI-17s
I went to a Family Reunion today, we ate allot of chicken. It was good. I was speaking with a cousin that used to fly Chinooks and he said he saw two MI-17's at the Asheville Airport. He said that he could see small "N numbers" on the tail. However, the FAA has not approved of the MI series helicopters, at least not to his knowledge. So, apparantly, my first instinct was right, MI-17. What these two MI-17 helicopters are about, I don't know. I'd love to get a flight on one.


Weening

While in Iraq I almost got a flight on one, but didn't get around to it. At that time the Iraqis had not had them long and were mainly lapping Taji with them. After I had left I got word that the Iraqis had done some of their own resupply missions with them. That's a good thing. They could be hard to ween from dependance on others.

Twang

Speaking of good things, I don't care what Ed says, The Dexateens are one of the finest Southern Rock Bands in exsistance today. I tend to prefer them over Teshamingo. One reason I say this is, they are giving away a freebie. That's a good thing.


Weather

Last week was a hot one. It doesn't bother me as much after standing in 130+ heat, but good ol' Southeastern humidity puts an accent on it. It cooled considerably this week. It was the upper 40's on one morning. Twice in the month of July it reached the upper 40's, both in the early part of them month and later part. On the 28th of June at 0900 I stood atop Black Balsam Knob (6200+ ft above Sea Level) with the wind gusting and it being cool enough it hurt my ears. The last two days I've heard Katydids in the middle of the day.

Like I said, we ate allot of chicken.
The Appalachianist

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

mmmmm Chicken.

App, I was just reading this and wondered what you thought.

From today's news;
'... Vice President Dick Cheney said that "Russian aggression must not go unanswered, and that its continuation would have serious consequences for its relations with the United States."

What does this mean? Another war? Peacekeepers?


Thank you for your comments on my new post! Cocktails and blogging don't mix, and yeah, I'm sure The Ex was glad to get rid of me. His soldiers liked me as they said I was 'old school'.

Please tell me that was a compliment. :oD

9:27 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, at least we hqave that in common. Although it's not so much that I don't care what I say, as I usually can't remember.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Stephanie, "Old School" would be a comtpliment in that case. You can now sleep at night...Just being snarky.

I can't tell you what Dick Cheney meant. Exmi just got through talking about this, I tend to agree with him, but who am I oother than some obscure NCO in the Army Reserve?

But both NATO and Russia should make every effort to cooperate as allies.

Ed, one thing I like about you is you spell have with a "q" as I often do. That was no offense to Teshamingo. I made a certain freind from Iraq a Dexateens fan, so he told me in an e-mail. He doesn't know it yet, but DBT awaits him...

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got to Cherokee with my daughter her husband and my two grandchildren. We went to see Unto These Hills Saturday night. It was great, and the Cherokee even mentioned the Choctaws in the play. Sunday we decided to go to the settler's house at the beginning of the Smokie Mountain National Park, and we saw an elk . . . an elk with a huge rack out and about. My grandchildren thought that was the grandest thing. It is one thing to see them in a zoo and another thing to see them out and about. The elk got tired of us gawking at him, and he walked up to an almost 6' rail fence and all but stepped over it . . . all 1,000 pounds or more of him. I hope the other elk are doing well. About Cheney . . . he can be, I think, mean spirited at times. Someone asked him about the casualties, and his response was something to the effect that Washington, D. C. had more . . . two if not three were killed in Bryson City while I was at Cherokee . . . they were assassinated by a group coming from Atlanta I was told. It appeared to be pretty bad . . . Cheney might have a point . . . he needed to just be more tactful. It goes without saying a lot of people are making tremendous sacrifices. Bill

7:10 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I've wondered where you were. You picked a good weekend to be there, felt good didn't it?

Now them Elk are something. It'd be good to get off to Cataloochee, but...Running Season for dogs is about to kick off.

Dick Cheney can come of as cras.
I heard about those Bryson City murders.

Have you heard from Randy?

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home