Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

unInformed Decison

It's Election Year. Stomp. Stomp. Stomp. It's fraud year. It's a joke. The Democrats fought like they actually had two different people to choose from...Left and Lefter. OK...I can admit there is a difference in the two...One's likable and the other dislikable. Depending on which one you happen to like.

So, off we go to the land of sand..It's more like clay dust. Sen. Obama makes a rock star appearance with cameras in tow. Sen. McCain goes there often, so, it's not that big a deal for the newsies.

I spent a total of 340 days in Iraq (My theater time is 362 days including my Mid Tour Leave)and during that time I did not see one politician. I was at one of the biggest focal points in the rebuilding and fielding (rimes...)of the Iraqi Armed Forces (that includes Police)and, never seen one. Oh, we saw the media. I was probably seen on PBS Frontline pulling PSD[1]. Now, I could have seen President Bush, but, it was late when I found out he was meeting Troops while our(me and the Pres)crossed paths in the IZ in June of 06, and I felt it more important to clean my weapon. But, I never saw one of either, Democrat or Republican show up to see Taji National Depot.The bus just didn't stop there...Times short, hustle, hustle hustle, shake this hand listen to this report...Hurry, we've got a schedule to meet...Gotta get back. Honestly, if you were one of the elites would you be out there stepping over the water bottles where the Iraqis have been wiping their ass? Or shaking hands with future voters? Honest intentions or not...That's the way it is.

Not to take from Sen. McCain that had a hellacious experience in a war more brutal than the ones we see now. Despite that, the New York Times just can't publish his rebuttal to Sen. Obama's Iraq opinion...Write it over to sound like Obama, John. What did the news media people go to college for? Choreographing cartoons? That's a one sided debate. Anymore when it comes to the Democrats and the Republicans we're clapping with one hand and thinking we're keeping a beat.

I can see where both of the big shot Presidential Candidates are coming from. Leave Iraq? Yes, definitely. Make a time line we have no intention of keeping...Typical Democrat sheets over the eyes blathering. Case in point, did we have a time line in the Balkans? Have we left the Balkans? Now, the surge...The Surge. I remember it. I watched it build. Here we are now, it's allot quieter than it was two years ago or one year ago. As a realist, a simple atempter to a tactician...Or Strategist for that matter[2] it was probably a combinations of factors that has contributed to the quell in violence. Will it last? We don't know. But, it is hard to argue with success. So, it's hard to argue with sen. Mccain.

So, here at Appalachian Patria, we (Me,myself and my imaginary friends)are all about freedom of speech. That's one reason I'm a Libertarian...Don't tread on me...County Commissioners and all. so, I'm going to link the Op Ed piece by Sen. McCain.
Here you go.

OK..Check this out...


What did he say?
Hold on, let's say it again...In italics so you can understand it.

Cartoon Choreographer:"If you had to do it over again, knowing what you know now, would you support the surge:"

Sen. Obama: "No, because keep in mind that question, you wouldn't ... but keep in mind that kind of hypothetical is very difficult to know hindsight is 20-20 ... later ... but I think that what I'm absolutely convinced of is that at that time we had to change the political debate because the view of the Bush administration at that time was one that I just disagreed with."
Boy, that's gotta allot of principle.

One thing is for sure, who ever gets a four year lease on the White House next has a job cut out for them. Here is why..."The secret to success is having a wide range of options. That was the basis of von Moltke’s approach to operational art, as opposed to the Schlieffen school’s myopic focus on one option. The list of commanders and nations whose single option failed is a long one." (Now pay attention in the comments between Senor Tomas and Chet then Ma's response, food for thought, it may come up again.)Sadly, that is as real of a in a nut shell analysis of what we face as the U. S of A. Bill Linds part, that is.

In the meantme, we're living a cartoon...

The Appalachianist

[1] Personal Security Detail/Detachment.
[2] The Germans strongly believed that one should have a thorough understanding of two echelons up, as I do. So, to be better on the Tactical Level, I think the Strategic.

14 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

That's quite a jump to go from a Muppet video to this. I think I'm going to go back and watch that video.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I also agree that the real differences between the two parties are illusional, petty, or both.

In all honesty, I believe I will vote for whoever can best convince me that they will stem the flow of money and resources out of my middle class pocket and into the government's coffers and/or some CEO's pocket. It's that simple. It would stand to reason that one part of bringing that to fruition would include scaling back or ending a war or three.

Unlike you, I have never been to Iraq, which as you know was not an avoidance but rather luck of the draw. So I probably don't appreciate the nuances as much.

But to quote Bill Clinton's people when they were sending Papa Bush packing, "It's the economy, stupid." I think that is true... and getting truer. I, for one, am feeling pretty gang raped by the politicos and corporate types right now.

The time is almost ripe for a viable 3rd party campaign. I wish it were now.

By the way, I value the freedom of thought aspect of our blogs. I like to consider myself one who can reason for himself, without the need of a talking head to spoon feed me my talking point of the day and give me my opinion. I have encountered blogs that decide which of your comments will be allowed and which will not. To me, that lack of real discussion is a big part of our problems today. That and calling every change of mind a flip-flop, like it is a bad thing to find out you're doing something wrong and changing course.

Maybe we should just fire Washington en mass, move the capitol to Myrtle Beach or something, and start over.

Didn't mean to take up so much space. Good post, brother.

6:57 AM  
Blogger sage said...

"In the meantme, we're living a cartoon..."

I like your ending and agree with it. Somewhere recently, maybe in the flap of the New Yorker cartoon, there was discussion about how surreal everything in politics has become that it creates problems for the satirists... Even my sidekick, Nevada Jack, has been in hiberation.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey You'll, I figured I'd have a silent audience on this one, but appears not. I appreciate it.

I'll forgo reply's for now. I've got issues...Sounds personal doesn't it?...I'm going to fiddle with. So, catch you'll later.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, cartoon or not . . . thank goodness we can still vote in private . . . I was accosted by an acquaintance I had my back turned to as I ate eating of all things- oatmeal, came yelling at me and everyone in the restaurant was looking at him . . . he was telling me that he knew how I had voted . . . he is as left wing a democrat as you can get . . . (you don't know how I vote unless I tell you!) and I must say I did vote Republican. What I didn't say to this arrogant fellow (don't you spell fellow with an A?) was that I sometimes voted in reaction to intolerant people like that . . . I have begun to think that the leftist are the fascist . . . I know . . . don't use that word. BTW I have and old codger WWII friend whom I disagree with on so many points, but he fought in the Pacific, and as far as I am concerned he can have any opinion he wants even if I don't agree with him. He damn well earned his right to an opinion, our friendship has survived almost eight years of George Bush and so the Appalachianist can have his opinion. My biggest dog in this fight, is that the men and women I met in the Reserves are OK. Bill

1:18 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You'll, I'd like to sit down and reply specifically to each of you. But, I just got through throwing a radiator in my truck, found Bell (my Blue Hound) is still in heat, have a serious e-mail to write on behalf of the Army, would like to have a bath..Yes, I do take those.

One thing, there is a third part, in most states, Oklahoma and West Virginia are being difficult, but it's the Libertarian Party, and in all fairness you have The Green's as well. Actually, here in NC there is a story to that. You have the Libertarians but not the green Party, they did not get the signatures to get on the ballot, and if Bob Barr gets the Polls (he's close) to get in the debate, I believe we may see some fire works.

I'm getting a bath...

Ed, good pic BTW.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, here at Appalachian Patria, we're all about variety.

Ed,"calling every change of mind a flip-flop, like it is a bad thing to find out you're doing something wrong and changing course." It takes strength of charector to admitt you are/were wrong. We know that. It's usually accompanied by an admission that you were wrong. Now, a flip flop, like a fish struggling on the river bank, and not admitting you may be mistaken is weakness vailed by arrogance.

Times up, work bell ringing....

7:03 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

OK. So maybe I was wrong?



No, just messing with you. You are right. But how many times, especially during a campaign, has somebody pointed out that "when he was 25 he was for (blank) and now, 23 years later, he says he can see it's usefulness...WHICH IS IT, FLIP-FLOPPER?" like nobody gets older or wiser over the course of several decades. That's not the same as changing beliefs every other week after seeing which way the poll blows.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well said, Amen, Ed.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, you are abslutely right. Satire is just getting buried in the snow any more. Maybe O'l Nevada Jack could come out of hybernation.

Bill, you've said that story before. I can just see the look on your face. I've gotten the same hiss before myself. Can't people enjoy breakfast? In principle the Fascist were leftist. The Pot calling the kettle black so to speek. Far right my ass, Toltalarism is Toltalarism. No one can call things what they are anymore.
They can't put politics aside either, they make it personal. And the word hate is thrown around liberally these days too.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think I have told that story before. It bothered me very much because I have been very tolerant of this particular individual. I try to allow people their opinion. I do that in my replies to you. I try to be careful in what I say as to opinion because you have been there. I have not. That counts for a lot with me . . . I respect that even if we were to disagree completely . . . which I do not . . . and yes, totalitarian attitudes are just that . . . totalitarian . . . it is one of the reasons I am not so enthalled by global warming arguments . . . not because I disagree . . . I am just more afraid of these people using global warming as a stick to gain power and beat people up than I am afraid of global warming . . . I don't know what to do about it . . . I just don't vote for them. I am afraid of both the far left and the far right . . . I kind of think a little like Rodney King . . . "can't we just get along" and the answer is apparantly not. Bill

11:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I think global warming is cooling off. While we do put allot of crap in the air, not nearly as much as we used to, there is other evidence of ice melt off. Antarctica has volcanoes under it erupting...Wouldn't that melt ice?

So, now we have a whole lot of people running around doing what you just said...it's political. People are being used.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

Hey, I just read this post, it's rather good. I'm glad to see you only had to spend 340 days in Iraq. My ex was there considerably longer.

I also hope that NC doesn't have coastal flooding issues within the next 20 years, as the North Pole (according to the British Antarctic Survey scientists) is going to be completely free of any ice this summer for the first time in human history (at least recorded history). :oD

Maybe Polar bears floating by on the odd iceberg would count as varmints.

Dear App, I've just written Part One of a new post as I couldn't sleep at all last night- this morning- whatever.

I'd be interested to read your comment on it when you have time to read it. I've disabled word verification to make your life a little easier. John has also made some interesting comments in reply to your points on the 'Needs Must' post.

Slainte :op

7:07 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

NoEmpireNoMore: Part One : Unquiet Spirits and Synchronicity

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home