Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Thank You Mr. President

Mr President,
After a long streak of damages to Liberty, this week the Supreme Court did justice with it's ruling on the 2nd Amendment being an Individual Right. The decision is monumental, perhaps this is the greatest victory for both Individual and Collective Liberties since Prohibition's end.

It didn't occur to me as much until Neil Boortz said: "Without the appointments made to the Supreme Court by George W. Bush this probably would have been completely different. With Al Gore in the presidency your right to own a gun for self-defense would have been ripped away today."

Despite the differences Mr President, Thank You. Let Freedom Ring.
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

You also have to remember the Gang of 14 may have had a large part in Roberts and Alito being nominated.

At the time, when McCain pulled this "stunt" I was p*ssed off about it. But now... I don't know. Maybe he knew what he doing.

One other good point about the decision was Scalia pointing out the Constitution didn't bestow this as a right, it was already a right long before 1778. The 2nd Amendment only affirmed that is was a God-given right to defend oneself.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

4,600 dead Americans over 5 years is better than not getting to legally own a gun? Neil has interesting priorities.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You're right, Gunner.

I've not read what the judges had t say, but, Scalaia had the balls to say it. He only said the truth. A truth held Self evident.

Murf, Neil actually is a fan of the war.
But, I don't know how many times I've gone through the awkward experience of someone "Thanking me for defending their freedoms by going to Iraq", while Politicians have been chipping away at them for years more than my life time.
We want to blame the President for every little woe. We give him too much power. What we've been seeing is just a conintuation of a trend that has been going no matter what party is in office.

The question is not to legally own a gun, but morally own one.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting comment . . . "to morally own one" . . . . you're right about that . . . it is a phrase that should be used more often. Bill

8:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, That's what it is.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an aside, an acquaintance of mine from graduate school has taken a position in Taji (sp) to teach English as a foreign language to Iraqis coming to the States to learn such things a flying planes (Does that sound familiar?). I told him about some of your comments as to how hot it could get there, but then I told him about your comment about Fort Jackson . . . "the screen-door to Hell." Telling another friend about that comment, I notice no one even attempts to argue. The comment sure fits, and it tells something about Iraq as well. Bill

1:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill it can be summed up as "the mud is 18" deep, the sun is blazing hot".

1:49 PM  
Blogger decobooth said...

Hi, I don't mean this as another "awkward experience" for you, but I just had to write you and thank you as personally as I'm able for your service to this great country on the eve of her birthday. Please know my heart truly is heavy with gratitude and pride for the sacrifice you bore. You have honored yourself, your family, my family and me, the countless men who served before and with you, and this great nation! Thank you sir! I salute you!
Leslie Booth

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home