Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Things Are Always Better Than They Seem

3_Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi (NSP).wma - Jim White
"Handcuffed To A Fence In Mississippi"

I'm handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi.
My girlfriend blows a boozy good-bye kiss.
I see flying squirrels and nightmares of stigmata.
Then awakening to find my Trans-Am gone.
Still, I'm feeling pretty good about the future.
Yeah, everything is peaches but the cream.
I'm handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi,
where things is always better than they seem.
Things is always better than they seem.
I see the guitar that my cousin played in prison,
floating with the tv in the swimming pool.
I'm calling for the owner of the motel,
then noticing the bloodstain on the door.
I'm reaching for the shoes under the bushes,
just in time to hear the sirens sing.
I'm handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi,
where things is always better than they seem.
Things is always better than they seem.
You know freedom's just a stupid superstition,
'cause life's a highway that you travel blind.
It's true that having fun's a terminal addiction.
What good is happiness, when it's just a state of mind?
For in the prison of perpetual emotion,
we're all shackled to the millstone of our dreams.
Me, I'm handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi,
where things is always better than they seem.
Things are always better than they seem.

Interesting point of veiw, Jim White...
The Appalachianist

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! He's hittin' all around it, and he's leavin' it up to you to figure just what his difficulties really are . . . the imagination can really get in to this one, and hopefully, "things is . . . better than they seem." You have to read the lyrics many times to even begin to sort it out. I have not heard from Randy, but he is back in business blogging. I told him that worse than getting his emails was not getting his emails. Some of them are very funny. Yes, the mountains are always the mountains . . . they are just beautiful . . . but then I am so biased. I always get upset with Andrew Jackson when I watch Unto These Hills . . . I don't believe in doing that to someone who has befriended you . . . the Cherokee had helped him at Horse Shoe Bend even saving his life as you know. Anyway let the dogs out in season . . . let 'em run, let 'em howl! Bill

5:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

I really like this post. Good one.

App, thank you for your comment on my blog

Wow, Team America World Police is one of my favorite movies! How did you know that?
I kid (it's funny cos it's true)
:op

Sorry about keeping up with my rambling posts. It may have something to do with the fact that my social life is...what's the word....non-existent. :oD

8:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Stephanie, I've developed a Ladys first rule on comments. After tat it's every man for himself, so I addres you first.

I don't know that..oh hang on, I do, know that movie. I've not seen it though. I get a kick out of Idiocracy. I ought to post a clip of it.

Me, my social life depends on what day of the week it is. Things are alway better than they seem.

Bill, as long as Randy ain't handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi it's alright. I could call him.
Yeah, there's a moral to this story even though you ain't sure what the story is. And what's a boozy kiss goodbye?

6:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

App..I think a boozy kiss goodbye might mean one's girlfriend is an alcoholic. Just a wild guess.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Maybe shes not an alcoholic, just drunk, Stephanie. Being drunk and an alcoholic are two different things. But, I get what you get.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

I was joking! Yeah, I agree. Huge difference between being an alcoholic, and being drunk.

*She says while drinking Ziegen Bock*

- I deserve one though - my fuel pump or fuel line or something went today in town and I've just been brought home by the tow truck. My car is an '84 Mustang so it shouldn't cost too much to fix ( I hope). :o/

3:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Stephanie, every once and a while things go over my head.

You ain't alone. My truck has been down all week. It's not getting fire, I worked on it and gave it up to a shop. It's a matter of finding the problem, all are a fairly easy fix. You are so Old School in so many ways! That's kidding. I drive an old truck, a 92Toyota 4X4 Pick Up, runs like Hound on a hot trail, if it was just getting fire. Your in an 84 Mustang, a fuel filter or pump ain't too bad of a fix, unless it's in the tank. Then if you have a full tank...Ugh, but it's better than an engine. And it beats payments!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

Looks like you were right - a neighbour just came to look at my car. He said "I bet it will start first time", and it did! It was stored for 20 years before I bought it and only has 29,000 miles on it, so it's probably something silly wrong with it.

I was reading John's blog, and was surprised to see both you and me are related to Galloway people. Small world!

Have a good night.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Stephanie, I know that the Galloways (Ancestors of us here) did pass through Northern Ireland. How about that! My understanding s they went there because they lost a fight with the English.

Sounds like a fuel pump if it's coming and going like that. Like I said, if it's outside the tank it's alot easier. Been there/Done that in the tank pump. Things are always better than they seem.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The song is well written in its puzzlement . . . everyone brings a different point of view . . . and no one is wrong . . . because it's a reflection of life's puzzelment . . . went to the PX with Number 1 son today . . . but was unnerved when he stopped in front of the licquer . . . just pricing and knowing the prices a little too well . . . who is Josea Cuvera (spelling) . . . not a friend of mind . . . what is worse than being handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi is meeting a big old oak tree where the road don't go at eighty miles an hour . . . there was a funny moment in Unto These Hills where Chief Junaluska is thought to be dead only to wake up . . . scaring everyone, he proclaims a vision to the effect that he has had an awakening . . . "Indians don't need to drink anymore." Don't anyone worry about political correctness . . . I have only been to the play five times. It is a great experience, and including myself in his admonition since my grandchildren are part Choctaw, I agree with Junaluska. For some reason, I think the girlfriend is dead . I am going to read it again. Bill

11:17 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Catherine Cecilia Steele Nelson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey You'll, I've had a very busy but productive drill weekend. So, I was gone. Did anyone see those MI-17s?

7:13 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I lived in Mississippi and just LOVED it. Would be there right now except for the wife's insistence that we move to Florida to take care of the folks. Some of the best people in the world.

I liked the lyrics because you know I like lyrics and poems and other manly stuff like that. Those lyrics were especially cool because, like Mississippi itself, everything fell into one of two categories: Oxymoronic or just moronic.

Don't bother doing a drive by on my blog. Been bouncing tween cities again and there's nothing new there. What can I say?

Got a huricane (maybe) bearing down on central Florida to get here tomorrow or the next day so I took the opportunity yesterday to spend the day on the lake fishing and testing out the new Mercury.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, it will be a "good" hurricane and just bring rain and not tear up everything. It is supposed to move through central Florida north to Georgia and the Carolinas. I hope it isn't much more than a tropical storm . . . those areas could use the rain/water. Where did you drill this weekend? Bill

11:12 AM  
Blogger sage said...

We must listen to different radio stations!

I didn't see no sycamores in Canada and my camera made it back safe!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, that's why I stomped the gas when I didn't see any lights on. You're fishing.

Bill, I was in the Classic City, Athens.Wasn't enough minutes to make the hours.

Sage, did you flip the canoe anyway?

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home