Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, September 01, 2008

Drizzle

I was standing in drizzle this morning. Fog and Drizzle at 4000+ feet. It sounded as if it was raining with the moisture dripping from the trees, like a rain forest. There was just a light breeze blowing. At 2000 feet below it was cloudy, and though feeling muggy for the morning, it was pretty cool. Labor Day is usually that way. Doesn't matter when it falls, the ones I remember the most were cloudy and cool. What does all of this mean to you? Not a damn thing, I just thought I'd mention it.

Also a little after 0600 this morning all three of those Hounds lit up on a track. I had just driven past a Camp Site and who ever was in it had gotten a rude awakening from my Dogs. I was pleased that Bell had let loose, she hadn't really for Bear, but little wimpering, cowering, Wiggly Butt Walker Dog had. Squeaky squeaked. If these folks weren't familiar with the Mountains and our Culture they may have been wondering what in the world was going on. It was apparent a Bear had nosed at a distance around their camp. What does this mean to you? If you were that camper, sorry to jerk you out of bed like that, and be careful with your food, but it reminds me of the revised Noise Ordinance the County Commisioners came up with.
But, that's another story.

Basically, the way it is worded you can have the Law called on you for shooting a Gun on your own land, a Dog barking, cattle mooing for that matter, riding a motorcycle on your own land IE dirt bikes, while loud Harley Davidsons roar up and down our roads. Why? So they can single people out.

Hope you had a good Labor Day
The Appalachianist

14 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Why were you doing up at 6 a.m.? You didn't have to work today did you?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I was up earlier than that. I was off. I work at 2100 feet. It's legal to train Dogs on Gamelands after August the 15th. That's what I was doing. Theres allot more work that goes into Dogs than people realise. I slept in Sunday.

6:46 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I envy you being out in the mountains early in the morning...

I should write about hiking over Standing Indian Mountain along the Appalachian Trail (a little west of you) one August when it rained 10 inches in Franklin--the remenent of a hurricane. I've never been so wet in my life and Murf would love the story because I was with my brother and an old girl friend.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I know Standing Indian. I've hunted east of there on Coweeta Bio Lab and north of there between Hwy64 and to where you turn off into Standing Indian. Fine country.

We got 8 2/10ths from Faye at the house.
There was some interesting stuff. I'm looking into it, but, I believe the Ionosphere smiled upon us. Not totally sure yet.
When I say I'm going to post about something, I never get around to it.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am writing from Standing Duck on Pond Water Place at elevation 50 feet below pond level . . . it is wet. My hunting companion Swiming Indian is trying to find a two foot dog in six feet of water . . . tongue in cheek . . . forgive me . . . we don't have too many intersting names here . . . mybe Sugar Creek that runs from the sewer disposal . . . I don't understand why they named it that way . . . it don't smell sweet.:>)

Anyway, there seems to be another hurricane headed toward the Carolinas . . . we'll see. You were out and about when the sun came up . . . oh, the bear . . . that was interesting . . . reminded me of camping on Pisgah . . . an animal with huge yellow eyes looking at me a 0400 . . . my children, fortified by time and distance, tell me it was a chipmunk . . . like heck! Bill

10:21 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I'll be sending Hooch down there for some of your training.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Law called on you for shooting a gun on your own property? Sounds as though them yuppy intelopers are making their move down there, Dan.

We sold some acreage that used to be out in the woods with very few people around because of the townies who moved in and built across the road (in the exact opposite direction of our fire). They began to whine to the sheriff about the noise when we'd go out there to shoot on weekends.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, we'll make a Strike Dog out of him. He'll track and tree. I'm having a hard time teaching them to heel though.

Bill, Columbia does lack intersting names. "Chippendolls" was the most intersting name. Sugar creek and the Waste Water plant? What iorony...

No, Gunner, anyone shooting on their own property can have the Law called on them. It's not a problem with my neighbors. Theres more to it.
It does not specifically say "Gunfire". It says anything deemed out of the ordinary.

Yes, that is a problem we all face, people bringing their big city bagage to the country side.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chief Bear Hug of the Choctaw say . . . stay away from Chippendolls . . . crabs no good and neither is the fish . . . all cost too much wampum . . . where were you Labor Day again . . . Pisgah is over 5,000 feet. I am going down to Dillard, Georgia, on the 13th or 14th to eat at the Dillard House . . . if I can raise the money . . . the windows have a beautiful view of the small mountains in the distance. I cannot wait for the leaves. I will try to get to the Pisgah Inn before it closes for the winter . . . I owe you a breakfast . . . don't leave the country without telling me. I emailed Randy this morning . . . everyone is trying to get on with living as best they can . . . the cancer came back . . . they put me on hormones . . . I cry a lot . . . and I want to go shopping all the damned time . . . believe it. Keep writing . . . perhaps I visit the mountains vicariously through your stories, but sometimes when it is so hot in Columbia and you write of the mountains at elevation, I can feel the cool of it . . . and coming in from the heat of the day and cutting the yard I can feel the fire of the ubicquitous mosquitos here that have bitten me . . . but the yard is mostly cut. Take care Bill

4:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I don't like to hear that about the cancer, Bill.
I don't think the Indians had much to do with Columbia, they just passed through, killed some Deer. They couldn't grow corn. But, trails did go through there, and the closer tribes, like the Yamasee, which nearly wiped SC out, got gone...One way or the other. That reminds me. I've read on King Phillips War, but, not the Yamasee War. I wonder if any real literature to note exsists.

Yeah, everyone has life to live. 4000 feet felt good. The Dillard House is too much food. That's Nacoochee School there, Fox Fire fame. Just up the road in NC at Otto...Not too far from Standing Indian is my Grandmothers old stomping grounds. She's from there. I've got a fair deal of Family there.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just purdy down there. Bill

1:59 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That it is, Bil.

Soldier Fun (Like sleeping in the rain as we have done)cool pictures.

He has some cool pictures, go check 'em.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the rain missed us and the tropical storm moved north into the coast of North Carolina. The next one will make its way to the mountains through the back door of back side of the mountains if it gets there at all. Ike seems to be making its way toward the Gulf. Meanwhile, it is humid as all get out here in Columbia, S.C. I just got an email from a friend who has been posted to Iraq. Stopping in Quatar, he said it was the most humaid and hot place he has ever been . . . oh, for the heat of Iraq and the dryness of it all . . . none of it sounds ahhhhhh, too great . . . the mountains are "gooder." :>) Bill

9:24 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home