Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Regroup

If you're a Drama Zombie, you've got it with the gas situation. That is if you're a Drama Zombie in the southeast.(I'm speaking to us Americans, but you foreign folk are welcome to follow along) It's sad, but someone that griped about us invading Iraq "for oil", is lined up at the one gas station that has fuel in a state of anxiety. Not that I'm defending what we did, but, that is the irony of it all. Or, would that be hypocrisy?

One thing for certain, it's not shut everything down yet. Life is going on, it's just everyone talks about the lines over their coffee and shakes their heads. However, in Asheville, it's gotten down right ugly. The Police have had to brake up fist fights. They've got a Mayor Lady that went out begging for gas. But, seriously, soon...If it keeps up, it will start to shut things down. Don't beat your chest about what a powerful nation we are when we can't use our own resources and we have infrastructure issues that we won't solve.

In the meantime our government is going to bail out something it created. Yet, if I continue on with these subjects, this will be far more negative than I feel. I've seen, and been a part of history, yet, in a humble role. What we, here in Western North Carolina, Southern Appalachia, and the Greater Southeastern United States are seeing is history. We should take careful notes, we need to learn and regroup from this.

It's turned fall, and the nights are getting a chill. The sky's have been lovely.
The Appalachianist

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have my own take on things. I believe that the earth spinning through the heavens went through a cosmic cloud of dumb dust which settled mostly in the northern hemisphere where a certain country is located . . . a country that builds a city below sea level and refuses to build an adequate levee system ( I was in that city during Hurricane Camille . . . hundreds died when that hurricane came ashore . . . nothing was done in the years to Katrina.) In the early seventies, I saw these same fistfights and gas rationing and nothing was done except to make the country even more dependent on oil coming from places where the people do not like us for whatever reason. Many of these places do not like themselves so do not feel hurt. Then I read about how a certain building was bombed with hundreds hurt and some relatively few dead and no one thought to look further than a local crime and a local matter. The bombed building is now gone. The effect of these experiences has been to wonder how many of us have been infected with the cosmic dumb dust because it would seem that something is wrong . . . but here in the "screen door to hell" that is Columbia, South Carolina, the air has cooled and the night comes a little earlier and the days are beautiful and it is fall again . . . a gift from God. Bill

8:16 PM  
Blogger sage said...

We've not had gas shortages up here, the price spiked again after the hurricane, but dropped back to 3.68 yesterday (It feels weird to think that's cheap). Fall is on it's way, there are splotches of color in the maples, Orion is back in the morning sky, I just which I was more into cash with the markets in turmoil

5:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, as for New Orleans, the Mississippi River is just too powerful. It can't be controlled. No for the 1974 gas fiasco, I was 6 years old. I had no idea, no knowledge. But, I was told it could happen again, this time for different reasons.

Sage, I've been thinking it had to effect more than us. But, your price is way cheaper than ours. It's mostly in the $4 plus range.
I passed three stations that had gas, this morning. One had 11 cars(And that was in Quebec), another at Salica with 13 or 14, then one in Brevard that had three times as many. It's good we can all look past this stuff and enjoy the season.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home