Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Gone To The Dogs

Bye Bell
I don't have Bell, the blue dog no more. Shes gone back to where she came from. Her nose was for 'Coons, not Bear. The other weekend I took her out 'Coon Hunting with the man I got her from and she had had the break she needed. Bell was 'Coon crazy. Last week I caught a 'Coon in my Have A Heart Trap and before I could get it in the holding cage it got loose on me. It ran right by her and for two hours that night she howled. Bear have snuck around the house and she is quiet while the other two carried on. So, I took her out Saturday one last time training. I knew it was best, I dropped her off on the way home. It ain't because she wasn't a good Dog, she just wasn't inclined into what I had in mind. She was a pleasure to have around. She had good manners. Bells a 'Coon Dawg. There ain't nothing wrong with that.


I think I'm the only one on the road last night that didn't have a fire. I seen a touch of frost on a roof or two. On my way out this morning there were fire trucks at the end of the road. I was told a boy's trailer burnt down.

Books
I still read. I have a book on order now and it should be here soon, "Cherokee Prehistory, The Pisgah Phase Of The Appalachian Summit Region" by a man named Dickens. I just finished "Walk With Wick, The Tree Dog Encyclopedia, Volume I" by John Wick. He opened my eyes to allot. I learned a great deal from that book about Dogs. I've gained some understanding, though minor yet, of my dogs. Volume I is packed with allot of good common sense and a life time of observations, trials and errors. If your a Houndsman that has stumbled on to this, I highly recommend reading that book. The man pulls no punches and backs his views up. Soon, I'll be reading Volume II.
Here in Training season I've not had them up on a Bear yet, but, I've turned them loose on a couple of colder tracks. Which has been good. That young Wiggly Butt Walker Dog could get ruined on a mean Bear, she's just now a year old. I want her to recognize tracks, and learn to stay with the other dogs and find her way back. Partly thanks to Wick, I see some good things I've done is raising her. She ran free until she was over six months of age and learned to use her nose and she was chained up before she ran something she ought not too. When she barked for extended periods I put a Bark Collar on her, it was a nuisance to me at the time but continuous barking can damage their vocal chords. And, if she runs junk, she gets whipped and her day is done, she goes right back to the box if not left on a lead for the rest of the hunt. I've become convinced that dogs are allot like little kids, they need to time for things to soak in, dwell on it. Good or Bad. I've come to realize that, thanks to John Wick.

Athens
Last drill was a busy one. They come up with more requirements to eat into doing something creative...They being someone allot higher than Battalion. I worked on Training schedules a good part of saturday Night. But, I did make a round of Down Town Athens. There was a pretty girl with a little pup on a lead. he had just lead it off of the sidewalk next to Junk Man's Daughter's Brother*. The poor pup looked so scared. She said she had gotten it from a shelter and she thought it was afraid of cars because it was found on the side of the road. I told her it was scared of everything, the poor thing had not had tome to adjust to her. It's a baby and it has been shuffled around so many humans. Dogs are allot like people, they need time to adjust to their surroundings. She was told it was a Beagle Mix, but it looked like it was part Leopard Cur to me.

*They have some creepy grinning Obama card board cut outs in their window. It's almost Stalinistic...No, it is Stalinistic.

I just posted what ever I ended up talking about, it's been so long since I posted.
and, I'm done posting.
The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

When I was a small child, my Dad had coon dogs, but I only remember one of them, David, the rest all lived in a pen. Glad Bell will get to do what she's bred for and hope you find another good dog for your bears.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, that is the forst time I've heard of a Gog named David. I've got Squeaky, Wiggly and now Tip, the puppy. I may need to hold that for a while. Bosco is still the yard varmin guard dog.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Obama cutouts, reminds me of the song "Cult of Personality" or sumtin' like that.

No 1 son is up at Ft Lee doing the 92G training thing. Says during PT you can tell the guys that went to Benning for basic. They're still doing it when the Knox, Leonard Wood, and Jackson guys are gasping for breath. He's Army Proud! :-)

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I substitued for a middle school social studies teacher Friday, and I watched an interesting film on South Carolina history. I think you asked about the Yamasee War around 1713. The Yamasees near Charleston sent the red war stick out to their cousins the Cree. In one day all the English traders on the frontier were killed in what were amazingly well co-ordinated attacks. In what was Colleton District all or almost all the white settlers were killed, and about 6,000 Cree and Yamasee warriers advanced in South Carolina and nearly but the colonist into the sea. I am only in memory of part of the film. The strength of the Indidan effort as it was described made me reconsider Andrew Jackson's attitude later in the century. His family was from the Waxsaw District near Lancaster, S.C. on the frontier. Anyway, your comment as I remember it at least made me curious. Bill

8:31 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, that's a Living Color song, and yes, it fits.

My Secondary MOS is 92G and I went to Ft. Lee. It's a very historical place with the Civil War and all. It's surrounded by trenches. In the very beginning of WWII my Grandfather went to his Basic there.

Ft. Benning by far outs out better quality troops that any of the other Posts. Giving time, the others catch up. But, back in the day, Benning was Infantry only. I first went to Leonard wood when it was all male and ran by Engineers.

Bill, I'd like to read up on the Yamasee War, but, I don't know of anything on it off hand, other than, they nearly put SC in the Ocean. Are you sure that is Cree? That's a Northern Plains Tribe. Or Creek, after their defeat, they went and settled among the Creeks. The Indians did have their share of grievances in their defense. Personally, I think Andrew Jackson was under allot of pressure, Georgia started that.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, you were right. I was wrong. The Cree are in Canada or near Canada. I don't think I am the only one confused by the similarity of Cree and Creek. It was Creek and, of course, the saying ". . . if the Creek don't rise." You have your facts together better than I do, but what impressed me was the near anihilation of the South Carolina colony. It explains part of the paranoia that has too often driven South Carolina history. About Jackson my thinking is that if someone is kind to you . . . don't throw them over. The Cherokee often were allied to the English or the colonist. They deserved better. Bill

2:48 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Look at you, giving dog advice to the poor pretty girl. If she only knew that you keep all of yours outside, rain or shine. ;-)

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home