Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Mmm...About New Years...

Well while I'm on well wishes, let me wish you all, no matter who you are or where you are...Gone are the days I got hits from Jordan and Saudi Arabia looking for intelligence...A Happy New Year.

Yes, that magical time of the year when your Christmas toys are still new and people go crazy over some ball sliding down a pole. It's also the time the Cops set up check points. So, in fine Military Tradition, let m say..."Don't get caught". It's really a dumb thing to do anyway. I've got this theory, that people that get absolutely stinking on New Years do so out of a lack of fulfillment in their existence. They numb themselves for another year of mediocrity...Or they're either hell raisers or hell raisers wannabes. The truth is, I've known all three. I wish them a Happy New Years too.

This year is pretty much done. We can't take it back. It's over. Not that it was all that bad. it had it's moments. We'll understand it better a couple of years down the road. We might understand ourselves a little better. We might know something we didn't know before. Life is what you make out of it. So, when life happens, make something out of it. Does that make sense?

Two years ago I was in a rotten stink hole, to put it mildly. Almost every day something reminds me, though I don't spend much time thinking about it. A few things the last couple of days has reminded me a little more...When I've not been up on a Mountain listening to some Dogs down below me. Iraq could have some beautiful sky's.

If any of us are going to make something out of this New Year, we best get to it.

The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Happy New Year, Appalachianist. I write this from a lodge in the N. Georgia mountains--where the red lingered on the hillside long after the sun set and the pencil thin cresent moon and venus appeared... what a beautiful sight. May 2009 be a wonderful year!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

So...I guess you won't be getting "stinking" on New Years. What will you be doing?

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in my hard drinking days I considered New Year's Eve "Amateur Night" and stayed home. Seriously, I did.

Anyways, whatever year it is coming up, have a good one!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, Murf, I won't be getting stinking. I don't care for it. No confirmed plans. We're still working on it. I'm Hunting the next day.

Sage, I saw it too. It was pretty. Yesterday was a beautiful day. I ought to have been out in it. 2009, here we come.

Gunner, I know what you mean. I've been out and I've been in on New Years.
No matter what year we get, we better make the best out of it.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I will spend New Years Eve sitting in my back yard with some neighbors around my fire pit. Not stinking, of course, but slightly malodorous for sure.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Dance around the campfire, Ed. I've got a mind to do the same thing.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post . . . if I stay away too long, I miss the comments of a caring group of folks who will take time out to turn their attention to the land . . . it pleases me to hear the poetry that touches some of the responses to the posted comments of the Appalachian . . . may all of you soldier on into a Happy New Year . . . and may we meet online to tell of the beauty of Appalachia right here next year. Bill

12:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Happy New Years, Bill. Soldiering on...That we will do.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to You!!

been gone from the blog...but haven't forgotten you....nope!

~janie

12:44 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I was going to e-mail you a Happy New Years, Janie. But, you beat me to it again. LOL.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home