Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Gloom, Despair and Agony on...

Me.
My camera is working. I've got pictures I plan to post, but not tonight.

Remember what I said last post about not needing any cough medicine? Well, I spoke. I need it tonight. This is the first time I remember being sick since Thanksgiving 2006. In the second half of my tour everything got easier. Less bugs and less spells of gut wrenching diarrhea. I tolerated the Iraqi food better than most others. But, none the less, I've got a run down, sore throat, flem thing. And, just in time, I have a busy Drill weekend ahead. Yeah, Gloom, Despair and Agony...Oh,it ain't all that bad.

But, I've come across some interesting stuff I want to share with you.

Charity comes home first, so, I'll start local. I read a peice in the Asheville Citizen Times today about how the Economic Slump has slowed the "growth" here in the North Carolina Mountains. Well, we could have figured that.

The other is from The Liberty Papers. With this crazy shooting the other day in South Alabama the local Law Enforcement asked for assistance from near by Ft. Ruckers Military Police. A possable breach of Posse Comitatus. It probably wasn't really a big deal. But it is of interest.

The darn Dogs are having a hissy...
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get in bed and wrap a blanket around your throat and try to stay there as long as you can . . . take the tea and honey or maybe some of that white lightning and get better. Had a long talk with Randy the other night. Bill

8:07 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm better now. I've pumped myself with Vitamin C.

I've not talked to Randy in about a month.

2:10 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Glad to hear (in your comment) that your better--hope you feel well for your drill

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that the possible breach of Posse Comitatus in this incident wasn't a "big deal," but given the political climate in the country of the last decade there are a lot of issues concerning troop use that need to be written in stone. It seems that anyone with powere or money or both in this society can violate the law with impunity. The situation outside Ft. Rucker might have been horrible, but the attitude of many in our society or government or business could be even worse. I sound a little like a Libertarian, don't I. Bill

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I got home this afternoon, my Army Times was in the mailbox with a story about "Rucker Command On Hot Seat" 4-star investigates why MPs were sent to aid sheriff . . . well, interesting . . . . Bill

5:06 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, I have stayed functionable, Sage. And Thanks. But when I typed that, I didn't knock on wood. I meant to. It got me.

Bill, you are sounding so Libertarian! More power to you.
I can see why the locals asked the MP's for help.
An observation...I don't know if it's me seeing more as I go or that it is getting more so, but, the Military is becoming more legal. I can't think of a word to effectivly explain it.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon-I could give you a long list of Apppalachian cures-like smearing pole cat fat on your chest-but I won't :)

I saw someting about the military in Alabama after the shootings-it is interesting.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, Tipper. I thought I had it fended off, but apparently not. I've had to call in the last two days. Yesterday I felt like someone had beat me. It's a strong bug, I fought it for five days before it finally got me.
Speaking of pole cats, I've sure been seeing allot on the road lately. A couple of weeks ago I found where one got eaten by something behind the house.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home