Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fallen Leaves, Back Taxes and Fallen Angels

I figured I'd just make some small talk until I can post like a real blogger again. Whatever a real blogger is. Opinion varies of that.

How 'bout that new President of ours! I tell you, he's on fire up there, bouncing around the Beltway. If he's proven good at anything its getting people to owe up on their taxes. Heck, he nominates someone for a Cabinet position and they cough up all of their back taxes, whether they get nominated or not. There's no telling how much money he's going to help the IRS collect.

Speaking of, Congress starts hammering out a stimulus plan, this Gietner feller, after paying his taxes, rolls out the TARP plan and the DOW drops over 300 points. Heck, Wall Street better get with it. Washington is going to spend a bunch of money, our jobs are saved! Come on, people are going to be lining up to "rake leaves in the National Forest"...Where did that line come from anyway? Was that someone being silly or was it a "tell 'em anything to get their vote" thing? Weel, I'm here to tell you, if they want to do the Pisgah, Nantahla or the Andrew Pickens District of the Sumter they'd be better off digging fire ditches. January, February and March are the best time for controlled burns.

Bit of trivia for you...This according to a book I have that refers to a book on Agriculture back in the 20's...In the average hard wood forest there are a ton of fallen leaves...Makes me think of fallen angels...on the ground per acre. Would you think? That's allot of leaves. Rake 'em all up in a pile and let all the kids on the road go crazy....Uhm...We'd have to rake them up again. When I was a kid I saw one of my cousins ride a bicycle through a pile of leaves and nearly take another's eyebrow off.

But despite raking leaves not living up to the accomplishments of the CCC, say if we were to do so. Rake leaves that is. What would we do with all of them? Hey! We're so smart we're a danger to ourselves, let's come up with some ideas. What in the world could we do with a ton of leaves? We'll make it a contest. Anybody care to judge? That makes me impartial. About prizes...I've given out enough free subscritions to this blog. I could have an autographed picture of one of the dogs...
Let me know what you think!

Ain't you glad we ain't got to rake up fallen angels?
The Appalachianist

22 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

You only get a ton of leaves per acre?

I think every congressman and every government worker over a GS15 should have their taxes audited annually... It's a suggestion, and as such would probably only be good as a way to get some bipartisan work done in congress as they try to bury the idea in some committee.

11:24 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

I agree, Sage...three people have issues and most of Congress reacts by saying, oh, you haven't payed for your driver and car, Mr. Daschle? No problem, I haven't payed for my lake house in years. That won't keep you from the job.

Makes you think what else is going on when they don't bat an eye.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You'll, if I had my way, we wouldn't have an income tax. April 15th would just be another day.

Pipsqeak, I figure it's damage control on Congress's part. And, no, no eye batting, you ain't seen nothing yet, I suppose. So what would you do with all of them leaves?

Sage, one of the most ironic things I had to do in Iraq was guard the guards. There should be some accountability. If we are going to collect revenue this way, then that ought to be what we do. Another thing ironic is, being a member of the Military, I'm held to higher ethical standards than our elected officials. But, yes, only one ton of hardwood leaves per acre. That's one ton to place over an...Uh Oh...I stand to be corrected...That's one ton per acre of long needle pine, and "probably twice as much in hardwoods"...That makes this more challenging! But, they figure that with "1 lbs per sq. ft. of dry matter there would be 18 tons"...That's all that lay on the floor, going into chemical break down. The 2 tons being annual fall. Of course, dry matter would depend on annual rain fall. I better check my figures better. Any how, it's a bit of fertilizer.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

A.I., I'm disappointed in you. How can you use the term 'fallen angels" and NOT post the video of the song sung by Poison?

Now I have that song stuck in my head...

8:23 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

There is too much math going on on this blog right now, lol!

I don't know about raking National Parks...isn't the point for everything to be natural? But I am all for New Deal type programs. The new Repub leader might argue that the only thing being created is work and not jobs, but that means that some people can pay their bills and eat for a bit. I think it got cut from the surplus package, but I liked the idea of laying broadband lines.

So you were guarding the guards in Iraq? It's sounds funny, but over site is so necessary. Too bad we didn't have guards watching the companies that received the first 100 or so billion of the bailout. Or some people watching out for the money being dolled out to contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan who built nothing or did shoddy work.

8:34 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Well said sergeant.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's clear that (the Dow dropped another 130 points this morning) that Wall Street doesn't feel that the $800 billion pay-back in borrowed funds, unsupported by a revenue stream- won't do much to fix the economy.

Obamatrauma

1:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, you know, I remembered there was a Hair Band that did a song of such, butit wasn't ringing a bell when I wrote that, my main concern was all of them leaves. It was Poisin, and now it's in my head nearly drowning out DBT's "Uncle Frank", ironically, a story stemming from New Dealership...Would you dump thse leaves on Yard Nazi?

Pipsqeak, I disagree on all of the New Dealership, but, your a Lady and I respect your opinion. Too bad we have a Congress that throws OUR money around. Well, we could throw leaves around.

LL, nice to meet you. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?", beats the heck out of me. Apparently Wall St doesn't get it, haven't they heard of Keynes?

None of you'll have a clue what to do with all of those leaves. Put 'em on your garden over the winter;)

3:18 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Put them over the yard for winter?...you are talking about composting...are you secretly one of those green people? ; )

It's ok if you don't like my New Dealership stuff which is funny because speaking of Dealerships, don't we own some now? In addition to our shiny new banks?

8:52 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Well they won't let you burn them. That would contribute to "Global Warming"

9:42 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pipsqeak, that's put them over your garden, something people have been doing for a very long time, until this "green" fad came along. Hardwood leaves and hardwood ash help put nutrients back in the soil. Corn can really take them out.
I don't like to think we own any dealerships and banks. But, Mussolini made the trains run on time...

ExMI, if we were to burn them Al Gore would put us on a documentary and stand in line for another Nobel (not Noble) Prize.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is too wet and cold to rake leaves. Leaves must be raked when the sun is shinnig and the leaves are warm and dry. The leaves can then be shreaded and put into a tobbacco cigar wrap and smoked. If this were widely known, the kids I "taught" would have the Pisgah National Forest clean of leaves in two days . . . well, maybe a week. On the other hand, . . . . Bill

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pipsqeak, as an aside from my wealth of knowledge about fallen leaves . . . what a "purdty" dog. Bill

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the leaves should be used to pay the salary of our government officials-cause thats about all they're worth-a bunch of dried up leaves.

Just a thought-during the whole immigration fuss-folks kept saying Americans wouldn't do the work that illegals do. Now I'm wondering-if that argument was true (which I don't believe it was) who is going to rake the leaves?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I would dump them in the Lawn Nazi's yard along with perhaps a gift or two from Hooch in amongst them. :-)

2:28 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Bill - thank you, and if you give him food (any food) he will love you for the rest of your life : )

App, I've hear of that. Why is corn so hard on the soil? it's also not really a very healthy vegetable because it blocks iron intake. Makes you wonder why it became such an important crop for some native groups.

And didn't the Italians string Mussolini up on meat hooks when they finally over threw him?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I knew somebody would show up with some ideas!

Good one, Tipper, it could really cut down on the Federal Budget. Red Oaks could be Ones and White Oaks could be Fives, Hickory leaves ten and so on. Great idea. Boy, who is going to rake the leaves?

Murf, Yard Nazi needs fertilizer too.

Pipsqeak, corn takes nitrogen out of the ground. With the Indians growing beans up the stalks, the beans put it back in the ground. They complimented each other. I can't come out and answer the question right off, but, there was probably a counter balance of some sort.

Trucks deiced, time to roll...

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people who knew what corn was good for are the forerunners of the people who know what dried cut-up leaves are for . . . both plants incidently were discoved by native Americans although I am not sure . . . and after you smoke it or drink it no one is real sure. I am pretty sure about that. I will google . . . the corn thing. Forgive me, but I don't think that Republicans will rake the red oak leaves and the Democrats won't rake the white oak ones. The only thing to do is wait for a real sunny and dry day and set them on fire . . . that will put nitrogen back in the soil even if the fire burns down the forest and everyone's house too . . . it is a government plan and it would fit in with the coming economic circumstance of the country. Wow! Did I say that . . . ? Bill

11:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Whew, made it! OK...Bill, sounds good 'nuff. Burning leaves or burning up the printing presses making more money...Oh well.

Lap top is back in my lap, I'll post soon enough.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I got so excited writin' about the leaves and all, I got to forget what I wanted to say or maybe I did say it somewhere, but I'm still excited by it. I had a gigantic (big) chinaberry tree against the house. It was old and had a large hole running up the main part of the trunk. It was rotted and ready to fall on the house. I got some folks to come cut it down using saws and a cherry-picker. They had just started sawing when a huge raccoon jumped out of a hole in the tree and ran along a branch and onto the roof. I had seen the coon once before . . . he was not afraid of me and that's for sure, but I did not know until the tree was being cut that he lived there in that chinaberry tree. There is no telling how long he had lived there. He was a male. He was too big to be female. He must have gone 35 pounds. Now he lives in the attic . . . reminds the joke about the eight hundred pound gorilla . . . where does an eight hundred pound gorilla live . . . anywhere he wants to . . . . anyway I'll find out if he has taken up in the attic soon enough. Bill

8:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, ity's pouring and I've seen sleet and lightening this morning.

Bill, sounds like a job for a "Have A Heart" trap, take him down to the Congaree and let him run.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Drifting off subject (...again), I was watching TV last night and I saw something that made me think about you. No...not in any kind of bromance way, just in a shake your head at the bulls**t kind of way.

Whether you know it or not, they're selling off your NC mountians on the TV here with the same hucksterism they use to move kitchen knives and Ronco products.

By the way, yes, I tried. But really, I got no useful opinion on leaves.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, you see them here, so, it only makes sense they are showing them down there in the pseudosouth. They've even invented a neat little catch word, "Ecoluxury". Modern day carpet baggers.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home