Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Small Town Ruckus

A few weeks ago Buttholeville...AKA Brevard NC...Was in a knot. A better half of the County was in a knot too on account of the Police Chief being let go. Not only let go, but, let go while on vacation and then, without any given reason. OK, let me correct that, he wasn't let go, just placed on administrative leave without pay until further notice. The Chief responded that it was retribution. Some time back, before Hunting Season rolled around, the City Manager narrowly escaped a little trouble. Apparently he likes the Ladies but doesn't treat them like Ladies. To be exact, he touched a 22 year old mentally handicapped girl. He managed to get of with an apology to the family of the young lady. To make matters fair, avoiding any conflict of interest, the case was handled by the Sheriff's Department. And, then months later, all of this happened. People must have liked the Chief, because they got awfully angry over it when he was let go.But then, to make matters more suspicious, the 2nd in Command at the Police department was put on patrol with a Lieutenant placed in charge.

Then one pretty Saturday a bunch of people stood up at the Court House rallying in support of the Chief. The Chief, understandably upset, had said that as long as the city Manager stayed, he would not return. That bunch that runs the City took that as his resignation. Then, right about that time, another Woman came forward saying that the city Manager had acted in an ungentlemanly manner towards her. Finally, the Manager resigned. And as far as the City was concerned still, so had the Chief.

I suspect next time Election rolls around down there...Down there being Buttholleville...And you wondered why I call it so...The Mayor and Council might as well resign too. At least you would think. In County Elections we've failed to put all commissioners in with the genuine interest of the County and not Real Estate or being a member of the club.

What's this got to do with you? What's the moral of the story? I don't feel I can rightfully say. I don't think we've seen the end of it yet. But, obviously, peoples sense of Justice has been upset around here.

The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have always restained myself when you have referred to the great city of Breevaard, North Carolina as "Buttholevile" out of respect for all concerned and realizing that I am a tourist at best to a beautiful plcae I truly think so well of if not love. Having said that . . . damn. Welcome to America everywhere . . . I guess it could have been worse, but I won't suggest how. It gets old doesn't it. Bill

9:04 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, this would be a nicer place to live, much less any place, if everyone did unto others as they would have done unto them.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the City's business. I once lived in the City, but no longer. This whole post is a "Hmm"...Or more so, just something to make observation on. I really think the contraversy is solving itself.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I tried to be reserved in my comments. I hope I succeeded, and I hope it is resolved. I just wish I could spell "place." I spend a lot of time trying not to step on anyones toes . . . with limited success I guess. I don't always see it coming . . . it is part of being human . . . it is part of life . . . anyway, good luck Brevard . . . you helped me raise two wonderful kids. Thanks. Bill

1:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey Bill. I'm prone to typos, but...LOL, you "restained" yourself. Ha ha...

Every little town has some avoidable drama.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a royal mess!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

That's the kind of crap that makes my blood boil. Oh, not the inappropriate touching or the bickering back and forth about resignations. That stuff is, sadly, not particularly uncommon.

What pisses me off, causes me to "restain" myself in a righteous hissy fit, is a comment you made in sort of an offhand fashion:
In County Elections we've failed to put all commissioners in with the genuine interest of the County and not Real Estate or being a member of the club.

That even at the local level, or perhaps especially at the local level, the fact that that the voter's wishes are so routinely and so blatently ignored in favor of the one who can write a check, keeps my drawers in a knot. And a common culprit here, and it seems there too, is the developers. I hate them and I hate politicians. But politicians deserve greater scorn because at least developers don't really try to hide their intentions.

Sorry for the rant. I guess my point is that I don't like politicians. Or developers.

Had lunch at Winghouse today. It's St. Patty's day. The girls dressed for the occasion. Had a kind of slutty leprechaun schoolgirl thing going on. I ate slowly.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Tipper, it is a mess. It's quitened down here lately. But until the posistions are filled it will be a mess.

Ed, you made me laugh. Slutty Leperchuarn! Ha.

Bill! Your not the only one to "Restain" yourself.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home