Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, February 27, 2009

"Don't Live The Way They Tell 'Ya"

This is some of the best advice you could give a kid. Ladies and scuzzy males,straight from Tuscaloosa Alanowhere, The Dexateens!

No, "don't live the way they tell 'ya". Some of what they* say is nothing more than out right lies, much of it misguided with the best of intentions leading to the contrary. I've been told some good advice, and I've been told some trash, but some of the best advice I've ever heard was from a Baptist Preacher, "Question Everything". Did you see the way he questioned that old banana?

But, this one is for you'll that prefer something a little harder(IE, Ed), "Madelene", "She's seventeen, she's going to out live us all"


*You know "They". Everybody knows "They". Heck, every where you go, you see them. Them and They, they're like "Fric and Frac". Can't hardly get away from Them and They.

But, while I'm on a roll, here's some more of The Dexateens. "The Suns going to rise, the earths going to spin, the Suns going to drop and do it again".

Enough of Nothing - The Dexateens

Time to get gone...I planned on being out of the house a while ago.
The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I am old and mellow, sure. But I do like an edge to my music.

What's the deal with the 2 miles of white space before the blog begins?

And as for advice, I am not sure if I picked this up in a single source or it accumulated over time. But it is a lot like the don't live like they tell you advice. My gameplan for life works out as:
Always be comfortable that I have a sense of right and wrong. And never trust anyone who is willing to tell me what to think, anyone who is willing to be told what to think, and anyone who will only consider one side of a story.

Best advice I ever got from my father, and it applies in almost any situation, was a mere four words. He told me, "Son, nothing is easy."

9:21 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

First things first, Ed, you are not old. Mellow, yes, and tastefully, so.

There is no problem with my blog for Mozilla. But for some reason, I suppose the bit large photo of the Confederate Veterans knocks it way down there. That is one reason I linked the Macon County Veterans. I could fix it, but...Oh well, I'll fix it.

Ed, I thoroughly agree with your advice. God placed in us all a moral compass, it's a matter of using it. Some, as a matter of meanness ignore theirs. But, it is absolutely true, the best arguments views both sides of a coin and it' edges too.

Speaking of edges, was that edgy enough for you?

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yeah... real bohemian.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

There is a problem with that "Question Everything" theory and that is you get labeled "The Question Lady"...at least I did.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

"But, this one is for you'll that prefer something a little harder(IE, Ed"

Anything for the bluegrass preferring crowd?

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, after much trying I seem to be connected again. I even used my daughter's computer to no avail, but I seemed to have made it back at least for now. I need a new computer, but . . . . as for not livin' "the way that they tell ya" lots of luck . . . so many times things happen that you never intended to happen . . . I guess that's tellin' you how to live too. A question . . . did you have any snow . . . . 'cuse me while I stop laughin' . . . a better question . . . did you run out of firewood. I hope I can make it back to read the answer. Bill

11:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

"The Question Lady". You ought not have ever said that.

Gunner, give me time. Ralph Stanley OK?

Bill, I've noticed you gone. I got a grand total of 1/2", mostly blown away inthe night and frozen in the morning. About Brevard and east, they got a bit more. All I've seen is a little ice and some teaser snow.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's alright, Dan. I like Dr. Ralph, but lately I've been into a Jim & Jesse type listening mode.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter whose computer I use I cannot open "a hell of its own." I surmise it is about the "war between the states" as it was fought in the North Carolina mountains . . . more or less guessing. I would have liked to have read it. Bill

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter whose computer I use I cannot open "a hell of its own." I surmise it is about the "war between the states" as it was fought in the North Carolina mountains . . . more or less guessing. I would have liked to have read it. Bill

12:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, keep trying is all I can tell you. That's pretty much it, or at least the state of affairs here of that time. Post on it, that's fine, I finally subscribed myself to the comments.

I know I'm over due a post, been occupied with one thing or the other.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard to "post" up and keep folks happy even for the best of 'em . . . put yourself in that category. I was out ramblin' . . . hat tip to "Ramblin' Ed" and I came across a sign . . . perhaps well below Brevard . . . south toward the border with Georgia that mentioned a small war over whether or not the folks were going to be part of a Georgia county or North Carolina. They were not sure where the boundary was or as some thought there was just encroachment. Men lost their lives. I suspect the "Waaaaaaar" made many in the area have hard feelings. I understand many in the mountains were against slavery, and supported the Union. In the Primitive Babtist Church in Cades Cove lies a man shot dead by other men pretending to be Confederate soldiers . . . really bushwackers, cutthroats and theives. So there was a lot of turmoil. I would have like to have read the comments. Bill

4:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, your talking about the Walton War, when Georgia attempted to set up a County withen NC (Due to confusion over a boundary. One of the two fights happened on my peoples land. They lived on that stretch of the river.
But, what you said about the Mountain people being Anti Slavery...I'd hold on that statement. They were not rightous Abolitionist. Not from what I can tell. I'll explain later.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home