Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Barking at Rabbits

Hello, Blog Readers. I've recovered from what I strongly suspect was the flu. To tell you the truth, I've had enough of being sick and I'm not going to talk about it. I can't say that I have anything up lifting to say, other than God blessed this place with some good rain. You might not like rain, but here it means something. All of those postcard waterfalls you gawk at, well, the water has to come from somewhere. Not only is it not encouraging to see one slowing to a trickle, but it's not healthy for the ground. The last few years have been dry. Really, about the last four. It made things muddy. It replenished.

The weekend before last was a tragic one. My 26 year old 2nd Cousin died suddenly, from a suspected overdose. It was just three years ago as I was packing for Iraq that her Sister died of the same thing. She had gotten involved in drugs and a bad crowd, had kids with a bad fellar that relatives were raising. She was turning her life around though. She had started church, became Born Again and was supposed to check into Rehab this last Wednesday. The day after we held her Memorial Service. I'll always remember though, when she worked at the old KFC in town. Skye had an eyebrow ring and they made her put a band aid over it. This was back in my days as a family man. We were going through the drive through and I asked her about it. She explained while frowning and pulling it the band aid aside to show us.

Then this weekend has brought a passing of another kind. one of my Great Uncles (Other side of my family) passed yesterday. He was 90, I believe. He had recently caught a bug and it was hard on him. He had to do a stint in the Hospital. He was just as quick minded though. A few moths back after a surgery, I was told, that he had to remind the nurse that he had already had his medications. I hope that I'm the same when I reach his age. E.C was a WWII Marine, serving as an Artilleryman and ran the Machine Room down at the old paper mill. The one that ain't there no more. That's just it. Allot of information went with E.C. There are still two of my Grandfather's Brothers left. No one knows where one is at...The best I know. E.C lived a good long life.

I had a Great Aunt over in Macon County die a few weeks ago. She was 93. People, that's Living.

The rain might have replenished, but Blistery took over. Even Blistery get's it's day. And that Pup of mine, I think she wants t be a Rabbit Dog. I don't know what shes going to think when we show her a Bear.
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

If she prefers rabbits, I'm pretty sure she will probably poop herself when she sees a bear.

What a crappy last two weekends you've had what with deaths and being sick. Here's hoping the next one will be better.

5:58 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Wow, sorry about your illnesses and the deaths in your family.

I was at a funeral this weekend and one of the relatives was speaking about the guy and told a story about when the deceased was a kid and his brother came back from war--and I realized it wasn't "The War," it was "The Great War," World War 1. He was just a kid with an older brother then... He'd seen a lot in his life.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The post hurt me to read it . . . in fact, it made me angry . . . and then I said, "Damn," to no one in particular and cried. The sentence, "The one that ain't there no more," could be a sad song. What was it you said about the mountains . . . the mountains will outlast us all? We had an incident at church the other day . . . I'll tell you about it when I see you . . . but a good man realized he would never be a grandfather or be part of an extended family of his own . . . no wonder RIP is put on grave stones. Don't let the bear eat that dog. Bill

1:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, is that you? You wishing me a better coming weekend? Well, you stun me anymore. Thank You.
As for Tip, she sees rabbits getting in the yard and she can't stand it. Which is good. Bosco, on the other hand, she sees them in the yard and they are fine. In the drive way, they better get out of the way!
She better bark at Bears!

Sage, something about it, Friday he called the Church, and told them how he wanted his service. and he passed the next day. I'm sorry for the death, but it sounds like it was the glorious kind and not the tragic.

Bill, that place is nearly a level lot now. Somones got the idea of putting a "Village" in there. What lack of imagination. A fellar working down there got hurt today. But, the old Ecusta Mill is a long and sometimes bizarre story. The machinery went in an auction, but the water plant will stay.

Thanks You'll.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I only let "soft and sweet" Murf out on rare occasions. ;-)

I probably shouldn't admit this to you but I've recently developed a fear of rabbits. Wild ones skipping through the yard...cute. The ones people own and have in their houses that go skipping through a living room...freaky. Last week on PBS, they showed this gigantic one that was over 30 pounds and the guy that owned him could barely hold him. *cringe*

6:25 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

My Stepdaughter had a bad fear of the Easter Bunny. It was going to get her with it's buck teeth and all. It took us a long time to coax her out of tears. I never figured where that came from. Maybe because it came in the house on it's own. She just laughs now. She won't tell me. But 30lbs of rabbit is allot of...That's half of Squeaky's weight. And he's s tout Dog.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous tipper said...

Came by to see what the Appalachinist was up too-sorry about the deaths-especially the young girl-sad. Happy for the rain in your area-and in mine we do NEED it.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, Tipper. Thanks. It was sad. But my Great Uncle insisted on being taken to the graveyard by a Horse and wagon and all of his Great Grand Kids got to ride it. We're about to get more of that rain. We just might get caught up!

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home