Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

God's Gloucester Gorge


These shots are from down in the Gloucester Gorge of Transylvania County NC. The River is the North Fork of the French Broad and the shots are down stream and up stream, respectfully. I took these back in March, before the leaves came out. As we say here, it ain't no easy walk down in there. That River has been cutting into the south slope of The Balsams since God put them here. In heavy rains that river becomes a massive torrent, but in fine weather it's as pretty and peaceful as God ever intended it to be. It makes a racket as sweet as any music and can match any Lion's roar. It starts under The Devil's Courthouse and meets with the West Fork, as pretty a River, but not as big. The two form the French Broad and pushes it's way out of this country.

There's no easy way down in there, and no easy way out.
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

March eh? Getting an early jump on trout season? Beautiful shots!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, Sage. I was just out. You can't fish in March. Fishing ain't as big of a deal to me. I only drin with friends and the same goes for Fishing.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My . . . my . . . . Bill

12:30 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I'm not big on going places that aren't an easy in and out so thanks for the pictures! They are lovely.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous tipper said...

Pretty pics! I believe I have taken a bath in that river-somewhere along it's course. Back in the day on a camping trip-I'll have to ask my husband to make sure. Pretty country!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Respectively. The two views were downstream and upstream respectively.

Can't help myself, you know.

Respectfully,
Ramblin' Ed

12:14 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Your welcome, Murf. Today would have been a great day to be off in there. And, sitting in the water...But then,that water is still cold.

Tipper, If you camped on Courthouse Creek or Kieese (Ki Ooshie) creek then most likely you did. Hey, corns breaking through the ground!

Bill, I take it your still down and out in cyber land?

Ed, as long as you still respect me, respectfully.

You'll...I'm sunburnt...Heck, it's so bad, my soul is sunburnt...No...No, I did it working on dog houses...Be patient with me, I'll tell yuns later...OK, You'll be good...I'll get around to it...

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote a great mountain man, "There is no easy way down in there, and no easy way out (of cyber land). My short comment was made as a speechless point of admiration for the beauty of the gorge. I'll write later. Bill

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home