Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Winters Parting Shot

I owe you pictures. I'd post them, but my camera is out the road in my truck. My truck is awaiting parts. Don't laugh, it beats payments and the Tax Payer is not burdened with having to back a guarantee. But, I do have some pictures from a walk down in the Gloucester Gorge I took last month.

Well, Patriaites, we are about to experience Easter. One sure fire way to tell is not the full moon and spring, but...A cold snap. About Easter every year, we get a cold snap. This one came with blustery winds and blowing snow (accumulations in some places). April 1st may be April Fools Day, but April is a fools month. It's like fools gold, everything looks nice, you want to put your shorts on, suddenly it gets winter like again and you feel like a fool. "A mid spring snow fall, jokes on you". You feel like a sucker. Ones born every minute, but you look at it and think it's pretty and know it won't last long.
Spring is a struggle. That doesn't mean it has to be difficult, just a little hard. Just enough resistance to have to use a some muscle. Just enough to spring out in the open. With that cold snap gone, it's a good time for the people on the mountain to plant their gardens. April fools but is a little prettier after Easter. May is a merrier month.

If you want that soul Asylum song, go here."Anything to be cool".

It can still frost in May, but you can't count on it like the Easter Cold Snap.
The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

My sign of spring is all the easter candy at Target/Walmart that shows up the day after Valentines Day. Now, there is a big drought of themed candy until September when the Halloween stuff starts appearing. I hate this time of year. *sigh*

6:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I suppose that's one way to tell. Heck, they start Christmas at Halloween.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Sage said...

Was it Robert Frost who wrote about "April Being the Cruelist of Months?" We got snow here too... lots of guys and gals who set out to the Appalachian Trail start on April 1--and there have been years when folks get snowed in up in the mountains.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I think your right. It's layed down several feet of snow on the top of the Balsams in mid May. That was back in the early 90's. I know about everything above Fontana on the Trail was white.
Speaking of, it occurs to me that any time I'm at Winding Stairs Gap, it's frozen.

5:10 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

So, as I shop for good boots/shoes to take to Southeast Asia, I took your advice and looked at jungle boots.

Why are military type quick drying jungle boots (currently retailing at roughly $35) so much less expensive than civilian water repellent boots (a high $150)?

*sigh*

10:00 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Funny, we were thinking along the same terms in our respective last posts. You wrote "Spring is a struggle. That doesn't mean it has to be difficult, just a little hard." and I noted that "Life is hard, suffering is optional".

Makes you go hmmmm

5:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pipsqeak, I don't know. About any water proof boot is going for $100 at least. But, then there is not much to a Jungle Boot. If your feet do get wet and your feet sweat, they will dry quicker than the others.

Hmmm, Ed. Is so true.

You'll forgive me for my tardiness. Some storms came through Good Friday and was bad to my modem. So, I'm going to have to get me a new one. Best Buy was sold out of their exoensive ones and there are deals on E-Bay.

5:29 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Hmm Ebay....I think I found what I need...its an amphibious running shoe by Merrell (Waterpro Maipo)...apparently reviewers have gone swimming in them and then hiked the rain forest and was pretty happy with them. The bonus is that I found them online for about 50-60 bucks.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am still trying to fix my computer, so I am using my daughter's computer. You may not have missed me,but I miss this blog when I go too long away from it. The cold snap is interesting. It seems to happen just before Easter no matter when Easter comes to us. I am trying to remember the formula even if I cannot remember the authority who conceived it. I believe Easter comes at the first sunday after the first full moon after spring equinox . . . I think. I will google that as soon as I can, but now my grandaughter and daughter are wanting me to take them to lunch. The weather sounded interesting and intense. Take care. Bill

11:04 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pipsqeak, by the looks of the news, you might want to take a bullet proof vest to Bangkok.

Bill, no matter when Easter is, we get a cold snap. Some folks told me that some friends brought them some Blue Berry Bushes up from Raliegh the week before Easter. They were in full bloom, they commenced to sitting them out and the next day commenced to seeing the weather get them.
I get to wondring where your at.

11:16 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Well the good news is that the army seems to have taken an interest in keeping the current power structure in tact this time...unlike the last coup in 2006 when, apparently, they all decided to go on vacation.

I'm hoping that everything will clear up in the next month and a half...bad news is my mom caught CNN's coverage of Thai current affairs and is now pretty worried.

I think it will all be ok, we are hanging out with Buddhist monks and everyone (except the Chinese govt) loves them.

Is it warming up up your way yet? I'm about done with the cold and rain.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pip, I can darn near bet you that if the State Department issues a Travel Warning, you and the others ain't going. Might have to settle for Cohekia, LOL.

9:33 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

:( sad times

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home