Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just Stuff

I had Drill this last weekend. I've got a young girl in my Company that is on the Delayed Entry Program. She's a High School Student. I found myself taking her to the Emergency Room Sunday. She had caught a wood screw sticking out from a bulletin board and it quickly became sore and red where the screw scratched her. She had to get a shot. I'm not about to spell it. I know it's one of those words pronounced differently from person to person but it's known what is being said. I've done tried phonetics too.
Athens has a nice Hospital. The folks were real nice too. Heck, I wouldn't mind getting hurt myself. Of course I got hit with allot of questions about the Army. And oddly, twice I was told I didn't look old enough to have been in the Army 24 years. Heck, I don't know. But, I do know this, it cost allot of money to have her get a shot. It also took a very long time, a few hours, for her to be seen. And, for reasons I won't get into, will never go off to Basic Training.

I was going to do another post on War, but, I don't have it in me. I'd rather talk about Black Berry Winter. It came with a bight this week. We had frost Tuesday morning. I got in late and threw some tarps over my meager garden. It really didn't frost the ground, just things off of the ground. The corn has uprighted itself already. I'm growing it Indian Style, with my corn in hills and squash in between. I've got creasy greens planted and bird house gords. You can't eat them, but, they are fun to grow. My Plant Engineer remarked about my choice of vegetables that I must be part Cherokee...

That rotten old wild rose is blooming in addition to black berries. Down the Mountain in South Carolina the Iveys are blooming and they are about to here. You might know Iveys as Mountain Laurel, but you people are backwards. It's Ivey, damnit. We don't care what he Encyclopedia says. And, it has snowed in Black Berry Winter here before. This time though, I think it has brought the prettiest sky's I can remember ever coming in with it. They've been like crystal.

You'll probably notice that I don't mention the Reserves much. That's not by design. Actually, it keeps me busy. My phone rang three times before 10:00, this morning. I managed not to get too many e-mails for a change though. I'll be gone down to Georgia in the morning on Orders for the day. As well, I'm scheduled to be gone to Ft. Knox Ky for 19 days soon. That will be some pleasant travel pay. What's that got to do with you...Well, you read this blog don't you? I didn't want you heathens to get the misrepresentation I was slacking off.

Speaking of slacking off, I'm about done here. I'd tell you about this weeks Bear invasion, but, I said I was done.
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Actually I know Ivey only as Ivy. :-)

Where are the picturs of this garden?

6:20 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

You were in pretty high spirits when you wrote that. Fun to read.

And as you know, I mainly just come here to be called a heathen. You can't get that most places, you know.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a grand post . . . misspellings and all. I am off to google Blackberry Winter, but first I must chop away the "ivey" that has gron around muh lag and tied me to a chair here in the lieberry. Bill

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The definition I read was that blackberry winter was mainly a southern term (good going Ap)for a cold snap that coincides with the blooming of the blackberry around mid-May. That does it . . . keep those traditions alive. Bill

3:30 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I drove all over Georgia today and Bosco laid around wagging her tail. She's such a heathen.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous tipper said...

Blackberry winter here too-but luckily no frost for us. The Iveys are blooming all around my house-each year I forget about how pretty they are-until they magically appear again.

9:18 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

I second Murf's comment, I want to see pictures of the garden : )

Why did you plant it like that, harkening back to your roots or does it help with the growing?

Reminds me of a paper we read in class last semester about a little village in Peru that was able to stave off soil erosion and salinization because of the way they dug their irrigation canals for the corn...that and they were lucky to have a soil type that allowed for the salt to be carried away.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Tipper, the Iveys are busting out here. The Laurels aren't doing anything yet, if they do this year. In 07 they bloomed feircly. But, it will be another month before they show. They're good for the Bees.
I've been meaning to link you. I will here in a couple of minutes. I don't manage this thing like I once did.

Pipsqeak, I'll get around to pictures. I planted it that way for, yes, my roots and low maintenance. The beans compliment the corn by putting nitrogen in the soil...clay in my case...As corn takes it out. You get allot of stuff in a place too. Like I say, I've barely weeded the thing. But, we've not gotten any sun worth a darn the last few days and where I have t, it doesn't get any evening sun.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the hottest, most humid fort in the United States of America or at least all the forts and bases I ever visited . . . wow! Bill

7:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bil your too Ft. Jackson. Ft. Pickett is another one. Old as dirt too...I liked the place. Named after a brave SOB.
I pretty much got two e-mails telling me I'm not going to get much time off this summer. The work of a 1SG is never done.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home