Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Thinking on the 5th of May

Why do we Americans make a big deal out of "Cinco De Mayo"? We go out and eat Mexican food, drink Mexican Beer...Try our best at Spanish, such a happy sounding language. We party for our neighbors independence.

Now Fourth Of July we eat hot dogs and hamburgers. Grilled cheese sandwhich maybe.
If the South had won, would we eat pinto beans and corn bread?

It is my Grandmother's Birthday.
The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Anonymous Sage said...

Why would anyone want to sink mayonnaise?

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't eat no stinking pinto beans . . . cornbread . . . maybe, maybe a lot of cornbread . . . big heaps of cornbread with lots and lots of butter . . . then maybe some pinto beans. Bill

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized what Sage wrote . . . that is funny! Bill

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sink de mayonnaaise with de cornbread . . . I can't help it. Bill

2:39 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, maybe them Somali Pirates would sink mayonnaise?

Bill, the Army has served cornbread that could sink ships.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous twistoli said...

May 5th was just another day for me and rightly so since it should be obvious mexico is still dependent...on America, more specifically, our money.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Majorly good point, Twister.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous A.G.T. said...

Speaking of cornbread... I knew I'd married into a different culture (midwest, flatland Ohio) when I was served cornbread and beans at my 1st wife's parents house a few months after getting hitched in 1970.

The cornbread had sugar in it; it was in a square aluminum pan; the beans were white Northerns.

Man-o-man, I knew then that this marriage wasn't gonna last. 13 yrs was all I could take of it before I skeedaddled.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I never had sugar in my cornbread until I went in service, then I found I liked it. The Army call si, "Yankee Cornbread".

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concerning the Confederacy and State's Rights it seems the feds are being challenged again.
http://www.kulr8.com/news/local/42560492.html
http://www.panamalaw.org/montana_governor_signs_new_gun_law.html
Prima facie a Second Amendment issue, this case could have huge ramifications for interpretation of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That's very interesting, Sec. Now, as to my point of the post (call me what you like) we ooh and awe over a southern neighbor's unique culture and ignore our own. Not that ours is perfect.
To reflect on it, in Washington, we have political a witch hunt going on in the guise of human rights (the torture stuff) while those very people impose upon the rights of our citizenry.

Quoting the Panama Law article:"Since when did the USA start following their own laws especially the constitution of the USA, the very document that empowers the USA...Things are no longer the same with the USA. Do not be deceived by Obama acting as if all is the same, it is not."

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home