Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Music

Before I get going, let me complain about the Government. It's sad. Real sad. It's ridiculous. Senators rushing into Capital Hill, conveniently on the weekend, much as the House did, to pass a so called "health care reform bill", over 2000 pages long...I'm sure they read it carefully...Cutting drug deals for their home states that are practically criminal. You know, if they don't hurry up and pass this thing little obese children are going to starve. In the mean time, we're sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan and we don't have a signed Defense Budget yet. The economy sucks. It's going to keep on sucking. Borrowing money from China...Government Motors...It's silly and don't let it ruin your Christmas.

Christmas. The thing I don't like about Christmas, other than the hectic shopping, the tension amongst family, some stressed out woman...How in the hell do you'll live longer?...Is Christmas Music. Jingle Bells...Baghhumbug!

Here is my list of cool Christmas songs. Just three.

Mark Sanford likes this one.
I think Tiger Woods is wishing he got something else for Christmas.

I never knew an Emily. Merry Christmas to who ever she is.

I still think about you...Women always have a way of showing back up on me...Answers that question.

And, what's Christmas without Santa Claus?
I like Bob Dylan, does what he pleases. Wheres a mullet if he feels like it.

But, what I heard this morning, coming from the sleepy mouth of Garrison Keeler, what we should all know best at Christmas was said in this poem by Anne Porter, titled Susanna.

Nobody in the hospital
Could tell the age
Of the old woman who
Was called Susanna

I knew she spoke some English
And that she was an immigrant
Out of a little country
Trampled by armies

Because she had no visitors
I would stop by to see her
But she was always sleeping

All I could do
Was to get out her comb
And carefully untangle
The tangles in her hair

One day I was beside her
When she woke up
Opening small dark eyes
Of a surprising clearness

She looked at me and said
You want to know the truth?
I answered Yes

She said it's something that
My mother told me

There's not a single inch
Of our whole body
That the Lord does not love

She then went back to sleep.

Merry Christmas. The Truth shall set you free...
The Appalachainist

5 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Wow, you're on a role today... Do you know Tom Waits, "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis?" There's a youtube of it on the internet. Merry Christmas Appalachianists. By the way, I'm more liberal than you. I've come to the conclusion they should away with the present medical system and recreate it, this mickey mouse crap ain't going to solve anything.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I know that song. I was forgetting it. They play it on WNCW here every year. I dig Tom Waits. Merry Christmas.
Yeah, it is Mickey Mouse.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOe! HOe! HOe! Must be Santa! No! It's Tiger!

Susanna got it right . . . it does speaks to our relationship with God. Last Sunday I was a few minutes late to chuch . . . may have written this . . . I couldn't find my daughter and looking up saw her and her husband with the baby and their six year old Andi all at the Advent candles. I didn't see my grandson and searching for him finally saw him in his acolyte robes . . . preparing to light the candles or perhaps burn the chuch down (another story) and standing there preparing to read was by Number one (only) son Hiram. It was a wonderful day. Merry Christmas to all. Thanks. (I'll admit it . . . Sussana put a tear in my eye.) Bill

9:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, it's no reason for a tear, but a reason to smile.

9:37 PM  
Blogger opit said...

What she said is the reason for the season ; rebirth of the day into longer sun and thoughts of all life blessed by it.
What sage said about the medical system. It isn't just 'insurance' that's the rip.
Then again, you can't have healthy people eating food that has the criteria of safety being what it won't nourish. That's not trust in life and nature.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home