Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Just Me Preaching

I'm no pundit, but, I am a Tax Payer. I'm no genius, but I've got some sense. Using the sense that God gave me is my right and my duty.

Don't expect miracles. Miracles are a thing of God, not us. We're foolish mortals, that, do possess good sense, but, not enough for miracles. God does miracles, we stand in awe.

The United States has been pouring money into Haiti for a very long time. In recent memory we came a hair of invading them, because we didn't like their new boss. Once upon a time in the 80's when I was on Active Duty, we were giving a heads up that we might be sent in to pull out Americans over unrest. It didn't happen. Missionaries from the United States has been, since we don't know when, making trips, preaching, giving, helping and just plain being friendly down in Haiti. I don't know how much money, and I wouldn't be surprised if the real numbers were fudged, but none of it has made the place a utopia. None of it has stopped corruption. Some children were fed and clothed. Some friends were made. Still, the place is a state of chaos.

You can laugh and throw rocks at Pat Robertson, say it's the hand of God, or just a terrible action of Mother Nature. But, it is God's Earth. And, we're not "God's Children", we're his people. He gave us sense, not enough for miracles, but enough to manage. He intended us to be responsible and help ourselves. We're God's People.

Well, it doesn't take a Scholar to tell you what happened in Haiti has been a terrible Human Tragedy. It's really bad and it can happen any where. It could happen to us. As a Nation, helping out is a neighborly thing to do. It's the Christian thing to do. It's just plain compassion. It doesn't matter what form of Heathen you are. But, it's going to start here soon. We're going to want to fix things. We're going to fix this, that and the other. We're going to want to change things. There can be a fine line between helping and meddling. The Private Sector will be where the real help comes from.

I'm not wanting to preach. I say this as a word of caution.

The Appalachianist

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, when I look at the chaos that is Haiti, I think I am looking at the future of this country. Recently 2000 pounds of marijuana was seized in Columbia, South Carolina, along with a weapon, cocaine, money, and, of course, a young Mexican driver (supposedly tied to a Mexican drug cartel). The smirk on his face said it all . . . the other ten cars got away while the cops bragged about doing something. I do not understand a society that needs so many illicit drugs. The guns and drugs and undisciplined behavior of this country are fast becoming part of an untenable behavior that is creating a similar chaos in this country. There was a gun fight across the street from my daughter's home. This is a neighborhood supposedly middle class. If you pur youe bed behind a brick wall or sleep in the tub . . . well you get the picture. Perhaps the Haitians will be more easily helped than we, but I don't think so. Bill

3:36 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, those guns didn't shoot themselves, and if pot was legal, those punks would be put out of business.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the guns. I was speaking to behavior. I thought marijuana was legal (just joking . . . at least at Columbia High School) . . . the chaos is here barely below the surface of society . . . actually Haiti has done well in suffering through this . . . I think Haiti is worse than Katrina and that was bad enough. By the way, Metcalf said that in the days before deer season when he was in high school many years ago, the kids brought their new deer rifles to school and many of the teachers went in the parking lot to look at them or so I was told. I have no problem with that, but times sure have changed as has behavior. We have gone from "I cnnot tell a lie. George Washington to "that ain't my baby." John Edwards
Randy said something about a get together on February 5.
Bill

6:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I need to call him, Randy, that I found Metcalf...Thanks to an old Girl Friend.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home