Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Two Posts In One


I guess you ca see what I want for Christmas...Yeah somebody to shove...



Soul Asylum...Somebody To Shove


October 19th, 1925

As discussed both in the text and comments of the previous post the Shining Rock Ledge of the Pisgah National Forest had a wild fire, there were two, the first one in 1925 while it was property of Champion Paper, then another in 1942 after it became Forest Service Land. My Grandfather witnessed the first one from southern Transylvania County. He said the smoke could be seen for miles, as far as the Balsams could be seen. One site lists a reason for the first fire as being from a locomotive, while no reason is listed for the second one in 1942, it also says the fire was in 1924, but the Forest Service lists it as 1925. While I was a child it was my impression that the place known as Grave Yard Fields were called so because of the burned stumps of Firs and Spruces had turned white, looking like a grave yard. I may be wrong, something happens in old growth forests, trees are blown over and the upright roots eventually make into mounds, in this particular place they resembled a grave yard, hence The Grave Yard Fields. The mounds are now gone, the wild fire of 25 destroyed the soil. What was left, for the most part was just dirt. Now the place, once a conifer forest, is a high altitude savanna. And, the two are now rare climates. Sadly such a significant event is not well documented, at least not on line. The few people left that witnessed the logging, much less the fire are going.


I stand to be corrected...It happens...the Spruces were used for airplanes in WWI, not the Firs.

You can see the view from afar looking across Cold Mountain from this site, better look in daylight...

As well, this PDF File from USFS is worth a read.

Once, the piedmont of NC and SC was a vast savanna, as noted by early explorers. The French Broad River valley was a savanna. Willaim Bartram noted of the Little Tennessee River valley as having "grassy knolls". It was largely occupied by Cherokee Towns. We only see a glimpse of the great land this was.


Well, Southern Culture On The Skids will be playing The Orange Peel Saturday night. I won't be there, Saturday will be a thrilling day of Bear Hunting and Sunday will be spent in Clemson SC with the Army Reserves. My December Drill is being split up. The girls from the B52's made bee hive hairdos sexy, the SCOTS base player made them even sexier. First thing in the morning I'll pick a good SCOTS video out.

This is it, 69 El Camino


Hey, if you want music, go over to Ed's place. Jesus taught us to love our neighbor, John Birch taught us to beware of him.

It's darn near Christmas. Hmm.
The Appalachianist

5 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

LOL! You are funny App, I think we all would like someone to shove for Christmas!

Sorry you will miss the SCOTS, they are a fun band, and great to clean the house to. Once in a while they come through town and I see them when I can.

Yeah, it's near darn Christmas.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I posted about SCOTS before. I actually got turned on to them in Hong Kong and bought my second CD in Woolongong, Australia. I mean, think about it, that's kinda weird.

Anyway, I always described them as the B52's meet Jethro Bodean.

Thanks for the shoutout. I'd like to say that music is my life, but I'm more into drinking and reality TV. Yep, I'm simple as my trailer trash childhood (or was that "wildhood?)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew, by no means am I promoting domestic violence. It's a freindly shove.

No big deal on SCOTS, but yes, they are a fun band. Where else you going to hear good music and get chicken thrown at you from a dancing girl? OK, Waffle House maybe...

Ed, that is kind of weird, I heard them on WNCW and a now defunct station in Asheville. I was going to link you but the machine here at work doesn't link. I'll fix it when I think about it.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I hope you have a safe and merry Christmas!
~xo
Lee Ann

9:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank you Lee Ann, I keep having to remind myself it's Christmas. Merry Christmas.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home