Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Loyal Order of theHill Billy Adrenaline Freaks


Squeaky riding rig on Coweeta Creek, Macon County NC
People, I'm not about to go into details of Friday and Saturday's Hunts. I hunted Macon County Friday and Transylvania on Saturday. Friday, we actually did a section of the Appalachian Trail where we let the Dogs run loose and came back to us in a half hours time. Otherwise we never did strike a track.

Saturday I hunted with the gang here in Transylvania and we killed a Bear and a hog. We let the dogs loose on the Bear a little after 0830, it crossed Hwy 215 and 64, plus two county roads and both the North and West Fork of the French Broad River. At 1110 it was dead. it was not a big Bear, but it was a fast Bear. Neither of my dogs stayed with that race. Bell came back out with two other boys and one said he saw Squeaky still up in there. A couple of dogs were on the Bear already when we loosed them. Squeaky, as smart and cold nosed as he is just can't keep up with that kind of a race. At one point we were stopping traffic on 64 as Dogs came off the mountain and crossed the road. Dogs were trailing up to 10 minutes behind the Bear. It was a fast paced, adrenaline packed race.

After the Bear was down we went and policed up Dogs. I caught one standing in someones drive way. I already had Bell (I took her to the kill, which she began to catch on) and another fellars "Methuselah Dog". She is a story unto herself. I stood along the highway where the Dogs crossed, trying to get a track on squeaky and any other numbers I had. A couple came along and said they saw a Dog up the road, "Black...and white". A Walker or squeaky and his white brand on his hind quarters? It took some calling but the old boy came out to me where we had took the dogs in. Good Bear Dog. The woods had too much feed in them, it was mid day and we let into there again. To make a long story short the Dogs struck a hog on their own. It cut four Dogs, one we stapled up on the tail gate of a truck, and two others on the kill site. After leading the Dogs out it was found one other was cut, and it went into it's intestines. That Dog ad to be taken to a Vet. Hogs are rough on a Dog.

The hog was nearly 300lbs if not there already. It ran off into the rough North Fork Gorge, it didn't get drug out, it was quartered out. It was black, first thought to be a Bear, with four inch tusks. It was about two hours after dark when we got it out.

Saturday was the last day of the first Bear Season. It shuts down for three weeks while Rifle season for deer opens up. Which means it's time to Deer Hunt...Speaking of, Twister up and decided to Bow Hunt Saturday, since his Sally Dog was in heat...Did he miss out.

Here's a good read. Not the same as Bear Hunting, but, some similarities. It speaks for the Rural South.

I grinn just thinking about it...
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Interestin' stories here! Do you smoke the hog?

You should read my post a couple back about "eatin oysters," you might get a kick out of the ending--a tale that sometimes we get to witness justice here on earth.

Come Friday night, I hope to be on Cape Lookout surf fishing

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sage, are you talkin' about "mountain" oysters . . . well, there are such things which leads me to a question about the boar hog . . . is the meat good or is it too "gamey" and if it is how do you fix it for eating? I have had to neuter young pigs with tar and a pocketknife long, long ago to keep domestic pigs from having that gamey taste I was told. I don't know about wild boars though.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sup' Daniel,

This is my official hello on your blog. Hope you're doing well. You have some good stuff on your blog. Talk with you later, buddy.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I went to Sage's blog and it was a good read. If you need a lugh, go check it out.

Bill, Sage is from Down East, on the coast. He's talking about the real deal.

The hog was despensed out to everyone that wanted some. I got a piece that made a small roast, I took it to House of jello and we smoked it. Used a dry rub, Montreal Pepper Steak and red oak.
it was castrated on the spot. Hog is not as gamey. Now what does a wonder to deer Meat is Allegra "Game Tame".

"Choi from Iraq"? Who could that be? Do I know you? I'm getting better by the micro second, buddy. Kuella Zein. LOL, yu up for camping on the Chatooga?

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to look up where 215 and 64 met up and it is below Rosman not far above the road (178?) that takes you over the mountains down toward Table Rock (?) and on to Clemson. That road twists and turns and there is some wild country over there for sure at least I think there is. As a certified old man (64) I get tired just readin' about you younguns chasin' dogs and climbin' mountains or as they say, "Oh, to be fifty again." I really love the stories and on to deer season. I hope the dogs are all well and ready. Didn't they (the government) but European boars loose in the Smokies? I know they tried wolves that didn't do too well, and they released elk. I saw the elk in a field where the Blue Ridge Parkway ends. I kept trying to make the elk something else because my brain wouldn't accept the fact that they (the elk) were there. The coyote came on their own I think. Anyway don;t flatten out the mountains by runnin' on em so much, and rember when you are runnin' around them to sometimes run the other way . . . it will keep one of your legs from gettin' shorter than the other leg . . . you'ens better laugh. Thank you very much. Bill

2:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, we call that junction "Forks of the River". Because, that is the river forks.

The other day the ground was hard and the leaves were slick. It was hard to be sure footed.

3:08 PM  
Blogger sage said...

yeah, App. is right, I'm talking about those juicy things that grow in the sound down east-of all the things I've tried, I've never done a mountain oyster...

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me neither . . . along with all the other things I ain't tried.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I third that

7:21 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

The Loyal Order of the Hill Billy Adrenaline Freaks...good title. Congrats on the bear and hog App. Happy for you, not sure how the bear feels, his adrenaline was probably off the chart.
Ya'll have a staple gun and you staple your own dogs? Staples smart something bad. Hope you gave the dog something for pain.

I love oysters, they rock! Really good on the bottom of an ice cold glass of beer w/a dab of cocktail sauce, oyster shooter. Great way to finish off that beer. Can't go wrong w/oysters no matter how they are fixed.

Mountain oysters not so much...2 male friends took me out for my b-day one year to a fancy place that was a real treat to go to. One friend was gay and a chef, and the other was straight, so since it was my b-day they wanted to order for me. One of our appetizers was a plate of "sweet meats". I had no clue, just was trusting my chef friend. I should have known something was up because of their giggles and such, but we were drinking an having fun celebrating. The waiter brought out this nice pretty dish w/small flat patties fried in some sort of crunchy crust, like a pastry seasoned phyllo crust. I was like "ummm, these are good, what is sweet meat anyway?" They said "mountain oysters", ok, I knew what a shell oyster is, so what is a mountain oyster? When they told me I near about croaked. The jokes that followed were well... crude, rude, and socially unacceptable but FUNNY. Apparently the look on my face said it all. We laughed our asses off, hootin and howling until tears rolled down our faces. Almost got thrown out of the place. It was a birthday I won't long forget. So yeah, I have had mountain oysters, not bad until I knew what I was eating. I don't let people order for me anymore and I always ask what something is if I don't know.

However, they were probably tastier than an ABC'd oyster that the man from Jersey ate. Yuck. And yes, Sage, sometimes justice does get served here on earth, it's nice when we are around to see it.

App, you hillbilly's could get brave and fry you up some Bear oysters...that would be something to write about:)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home