Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Normal Again

It happened again. I woke this Wednesday morning realizing again I had dreamed I was back in Iraq. I’ve been dreaming it for weeks. Last week when I posted “Notes” I stated I’d just assume go back to Iraq. That prompted some response, even a phone call. I didn’t say I wanted to go back. I have no designs on it. I do have to accept that I may have to go back. Though, my attitude is harder to describe.
When I rolled back into Buttholeville last Saturday evening I ran into the boy I had gotten off the plain with. He asked me how adjusting was going. I repeated it to him and his newlywed wife blurted out, “He says that too!”.
“Tell her, life was simple over there”.
I replied that things were crazy there because they were supposed to be. Here, people are petty.
I’m not the only one saying this. Then I remembered what I had heard someone say... “I wanted to back to Vietnam. My girlfriend got upset and thought I was crazy.”

It’s not patriotic, it’s personal. I put it back in my mind. I didn’t deal with it for a couple of days, then my mind hammered it out. I thought of how many of the others that were activated and sent over with me had been having sleep problems too. For nearly three months I rarely slept a full night. I would wake and be in thought for hours. Over in Iraq our minds were geared to the day in and the day out of a combat zone and relating to a people far different from us. Our minds were “revved” they said.
People are more real, more genuine over there. People relate to one another. The atmosphere is chaos. It’s supposed to be. Things don’t always make sense there, and, that’s alright.
When things become in discord here, your thought is, that it’s unreal, unnecessary. People are getting blown up on the other side of the world. Why doesn’t everyone calm down? Something is not making sense, and that is not alright. You relate to the chaos of war, but not the chaos of society.
When you step off of that plain you step into a harsh environment where "higher powers", externals take precedence. In a combat zone things are complicated but it's simple, day by day.

It's not so bad. I'm not dwelling on externals. I'm frustrated to a point, not a point that it effects the feelings, the view of my Self. I'm frustrated with my environment. It's the same environment. People are the same. I'm not. I won't be either.
My mind, day by day is gearing back to this world as it makes sense of that world. That is why I have the dreams. That is why I say to myself I'd assume go back. I'm relating the two worlds.
I functioned well in that enviroment, and I know it. There is no reason for me not to function well in this enviroment. My energy is ony evening out.

I appreciate things. I appreciate myself. I have a great family, even if thy don't understand me. I have great freinds, both male and female, even if they don't know how to relate to me. I like Western North Carolina allot more than I did the Mesopotamian Plain. I have opportunities in my life. I thank God for everyday.

I'm alright. I'm not longing for the chaos, carnage and violence. I'm unrevving, I'm putting it all in perspective. I saw my step daughter at a gas station. I called her on her cell phone and told her I love her. She laughed and we joked.

I told a coworker about the dreams I having that I was back in Iraq. He said I was back. Back here.

I'm feeling pretty bohemian again. And, I did dig on some vegan food in a hip restaurant yesterday. I also slept pretty damn good last night.

Whoa hoo hoo hoo
The Appalachianist

19 Comments:

Blogger Sparkel said...

Leave it to you to make me feel, make me think more in depth about my soldiers overseas, the crap at home, evaluate every context.

Thank you ~ for you.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sparkel, all I know to say is, I'm humbled.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight is the Hunter's Moon. It will be big and bright if it isn't too cloudy, and it will shine down on all of us . . . each and . . . everyone of us from the mountains to the sea and all the bears of us in the in between of us, and it will be the first night in the grave for a classmate of mine. She died of alzheimer's at 64 never having been at war except in the life she led, and yet she met someone whom she loved and was loved and had his children. She was still a nice looking woman and young. It was that part of her life that was her family that saw the sun shining on her and the moon reflects that light tonight. I only understand a little of it all. Run the hills and howl at the moon, Appalachinanist while you can, and God bless ya . . . and Squeaky too.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I just received my Legion magazine today. You probably have also, but in case you haven't read it yet here's a Pennsylvania Guard Chaplain's take on his return home.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

App Gun Trash....that is the story I was telling App about. How can I get me a copy of the magazine? Chaplain Etter is my Chaplain and the only Chaplain I know that would go outside the wire on patrol to be w/his Soldiers. He has some powerful stories to share that are wonderful to read. I had dinner with him and a few Soldiers last summer. He is a wonderful man. I was gonna send this to App in email and now you have it on the blog. Cool! I wanted for App to read this for sure.
Thanks to you more folks can read his peice.
Mew

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I loved your post App, it was a good one.
Thank you.
Mew

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a great article, an important one, and I can't find an adjective to describe the heartfelt discussion of experience. I am reminded of my father-in-law's experience from WW II. Among other places, he was at Anzio. I guess the rest of us just don't know and some of us just don't get it or want to know. You mentioned patience in one of your postings. Thanks for your service and thanks for your patience, and in the end of the discussion, you are the one who is important to those who post here and important to your family, and important to your community. Ain't I the preacher this rainy morning.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Anon - I think you have to be a mbr of the American Legion to get it. You can have my copy, I'd be happy to mail it to you but not sure how I'd get your address w/o broadcasting it to the world.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Morning everyone.

Bill I did see the moon, I caught it last night as I crossed Whetstone Gap and rounded Quebec Mnt on my way back to town. I was listenig to "Earth and Sky" on WNCW and they were talking about the Hunters Moon.
We got a little over 5 1/2" of rain out of this system in my portion of Transylvania. Good reason to stand around and grin.

In your class mates passing, sympathies to those who loved her.

For some reason I've not gotten a Legion Magazine yet. I have gotten VFW. and the first thing I thought when I read it was "Mew mentioned that."

Thanks Mew. I did know of a couple of more Chaplains that did exit the wire. I can facilitate the exchanges of e-mails if you and Gunner need me to.

I'm sorry I seem short this morning, but, I do want to get something up.

Thanks everyone.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, A.I., I can send it to you if you want and then you can share with Mew. I've got your address if your middle name begins with a "C" and you live just off Flat Creek Valley Road. Email is eastkyfxdl at yahoo dot com

3:43 PM  
Blogger aheartfromtheblueridge said...

App Gun Trash,
Thank you so much! You are the BEST. I have been looking for a copy resource ever since I learned the Chaps was getting published and have had no luck. So God Bless You! I will email APP my address, thank you both for hooking me up!

Funny but true story, I can be a member of the AL because of family members that have served, however, years ago when the war started I went there and some old geezer told me I belonged in the kitchen w/the women! You would have to know me, but I can tell you that did not sit well w/me. Just didn't feel it was the place for me after that.

Don't know why I feel compelled to share this either, I guess because of App's post.
I went to physical therapy today, lovely people, truly I enjoy and appreciate these folks. They had decorated for Halloween and as a joke to play on patients they had put a fake dismembered arm on the table in one of the treatment rooms to get a laugh and scare people. When I saw it all I could think of was my Soldiers that have to deal w/that every day. I got a hit in my heart and gut that I can't explain. I did not find it funny or amusing in any way, shape, or form. When they didn't get the expected response from me, I told them it made me think of Iraq. The gal laughed and asked "how so?" I told her I have Soldiers that see the real deal everyday and have had to pick up body parts. It was an awkward moment to say the least. No matter where I am, what I am doing, I think of my Joe's and Grunts, can't help myself. The war has changed me, I will never be the same person I once was and I have never step foot in a war zone. I just know I no longer can relate to our society. I find the general population disturbing w/their shallow values and attitudes. Give me a Soldier any day over a civilian.

So App, I really appreciated these words of yours....
"You relate to the chaos of war, but not the chaos of society." "People are more real, more genuine over there". Even though I am a civilian I get that, truly I do.
Mew

4:10 PM  
Blogger sage said...

well the moon is pretty up here too! :)

I'm sure being over there will play with your mind for a long time. The son of good friends of mine was shot this week in Afganistan (I can't spell it). Two surgeries later, he's doing well in Germany and his parents are on the way there--from what I'd been told his unit had been in 80 firefights since May... that boogles my mind. He's coming home, and is expected to fully recover, but it'll take a year

9:56 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Sage,
I will be saying some prayers for the Soldier...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I read the article by the Chaplain. Very good and allot of it I can relate to. I rarely got out of the FOB, and then I was flying. But, it speaks for the whole of us.

OK, this is comment 14 so we don't have an unlucky 13 comments.

I've got frost this morning.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

OK, to address Sage, because there are some things the general public doesn't know about Iraq and Afghanistan. In Iraq a fire fight or an engagment is a pretty quick thing. It's done is seconds if not minutes. Mostly it's IED's sometimes with small arms fire. Sometimes it's small arms fire alone. Then there is the Indirect Fire Attacks, wich I experienced.

In Afghanistan, fights develop. There fights can go for hours, days. IED's, and Indirect fire happens. But ususally when there is a fight, wich can be over quick, when it's on, it's on.
In Iraq it usually comes and goes quickly.
Pick your poisin.

There is no absolute to it. In war, just like life, there is more gray than black and white.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

For a bear hunting bohemian you know how to make a feller think. I never did war. I trained for it some till they kicked me out of Advanced Corps ROTC, but I was really too young for Korea, and was married and raising kids by the time Vietname came along. I sent two sons off, one to Afghansitan and the other to both Kosovo and Iraq (both reservists.) They have made things real for me, as have you. Thanks.

9:30 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Bit late to this party but I still have dreams in which I am in Afghanistan or, (more common)in which I am getting ready to deploy back. I've been back for almost three years now.....

4:44 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

exmi...it's never too late to join this party...App always has interesting things to say and share.

3 score...yes, having family deploy does make it real for sure. Makes a big difference when it's your loved ones giving their all.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Three Score, what is it about a Bear Hunting Bohemien that makes you think?LOL.

ExMI, I know it's not just me now. Thanks. Simularly, I would have dreams that I was back with my old Bn after I got off Active Duty. I would sometimes visit. I dreamed we were invading Panama, the next morning, I woke to news of the invasion. I would dream about being back for a few years, but, only maybe every six months or so. This was getting to be weekly. So, I guess we're normal.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home