Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Hill Billy Bohemian

In the prior post, Video Friday II, a new comer, Dr. C , noted herself as being Bohemian. I misread it as me being bohemian. Am I bohemian? I thought…I put the question on the back burner of my mind. As I woke this morning I set out on a quest to find whether I was bohemian or not. What qualified me as bohemian? What exactly is a bohemian? I always thought them as a sort of beatnik. I pictured them as trend followers…I followed my quest to the New American Dictionary. Bohemian…The 4th definition “A person with artistic or literary interests that disregards conventional standards of behavior.” It suddenly dawned on me…I’m a bohemian. I felt enlightened, freer than I had five minutes before. No I don’t dig on vegan food (I used to live with a vegetarian that smoked nearly a pack a day) but, I know what Love is so I just don’t do as I’m told.(1) I refuse to go through life with the mentality of a trail horse, a drone following the same old rut succumbing to being a victim every day. I know that tradition is not better than what’s in the heart. I own my power!(2) I can read John Boyd and go “Wow” or read Robert Burney and say “Man this guy has a point”. I have artistic interests; I look at rocks, trees, and animals and see beauty. I think naked women are art. I am a Hill Bohemian. I see beauty in ordinary simple things. I see it in people’s silly grins, in the dogs in the yard, in the wind in the trees, in all of that gritty music I listen to. I am going to finish my novels.

This is not a shameful thing. That I’ve lived my life without a label…With people stumbling to find a category to put me in (Rosman NC is the worlds worst place for that). That I never really fit in one place. That my free minded, out of the box thinking and my appreciation for God’s awesome world is me. I can stand on top of Black Balsam Knob, high powered rifle raised over my head and shout that I can relate to Bob Dylan! A singing song writing, born again Christian Jew that likes to draw pictures of naked women and doesn’t let people tell him how to act. Just because there's a dog box in the back doesn’t mean there’s Trashville (3) Country on the radio. I set the standards of my life. “I wasn’t born to follow”, I am capable of feeling Truth.

(1)a spin on these white Stripe lyrics.
(2)I looked for a written definition of the term. The closest thing I found as this article by Robert Burney.
(3)This song by Hank III

I did not realize how well the two songs, "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd" by Roger Miller and "Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols tied in together. Both are cheerful songs and easy to sing along with...Both are empowering, but, the Dandy Warhols song is mostly about being hip...and hot for someone. Being Bohemian is empowering though.

Wado, It is good.
The Appalachainist

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day a long time ago, perhaps twenty years ago now, Hiram, my son, and I were climbing to the top of some mountain, probably not Black Balsam Knob, but a mountain that went to 5,994 feet give or take a foot or two. I remember lifting my son over my head so he could say he had been over 6,000 feet that day. I thought it was the thing to do that day. I still think it was the thing to do. There is symbolism in the doing of it, and it is a metaphor for something fathers are supposed to do for their sons. Yeah, standing atop Black Balsam Knob is being next to God I think, and then I think of being at the Pisgah Inn and looking out into the valley and seeing Looking Glass Mountain to the right and Funnel Top more or less straight ahead and to the left and remember Moses and what we too are denied . . . yeah, it's an experience. Keep doing in it Appalachianist . . . Hill Billy Bohemian . . . I enjoy the reading of it and vicariously visiting the mountains. Thanks for letting me participate. Bill

8:51 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I like that--Hillbilly Bohemian! Enjoy the beauty of the fall down there in those hills as the leaves change color.

btw, stop by if you get a chance and check out the bass I caught Friday using lightweight tackle...

9:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I like your use of the word vicarously, Bill. Don't ever get the Jolly Red Head Giant started on Funnel Top..."I shot that deer so lose blod splattered on my scope"...He's had some good times on that mountain, I've not spent much time on it.
And, it is true, there is a metaphor to it.

Sage, I've been MIA fro everyones blog...Folks will think I disown them. But, I'll be by to check it out.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

I haven't been up the Blue Ridge Pkwy in about 3 years, but your post and Bill Sipes brought it all back again. I could almost reach out and touch it. Thank You!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

hey, Sparkel, so you've been through here? Well, good.

I have had a heck of a day and tomorrow promises to be about the same. it's likely to be he subject of a new and exciting post right here on Appalachian Patria!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know...Icoulda swore we were talkin' 'bout mosta dis stuff over the weekend.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Well, you are probably the only bear and hog hunting (am I remembering right? You do hunt hogs?) bohemian that ever lived.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Twister, yes, we did touch some of that. Notice you didn't clarify your stance on the Catholic Church and your relation to God.

3Score, I don't know, Twister informed me that he has had a poem published and he drew a really nice picture that the teachers declared him an artist, took the picture sent it to Raliegh and he ain't seen it since.

I ain't sure, I'm about over this bohemian stuff.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home