Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The No Name Post



This is Sally, Twisters Red Bone. She is about a year old. 30lbs of dog, 10 of it tongue...Eat your heart out Gene Simmons...Looks like the symbol for The Rolling Stones...She will do good I think. We were training her with Squeaky, she seems to follow his lead well.

I was going to put another picture up, but it had a problem posting due to Blogger, they admitted it, I'm not passing blame. It's of was Squeaky rigged up on the dog box. He had the cough that morning...I think it's allergies, but he struck a Bear 40 yards back from the track that morning and had struck from inside the box the day before. Squeaky also jerked the lead that day pulling me down in the gravel of the drive way and in Court House Creek. I talked with a boy that has sewn him up a couple of times before and the last year Squeaky hunted (2 yrs back) he tore the skin off of a hogs face. Atta Boy!

Did you'l see Osama on TV the other day? Is that a good "Just for Men" commercial or what? One thing I can give the man, he knows how to jerk chains. I had an Iraqi Guard that was always trying to steal from someones vehicle he searched. He was really gray headed, until he went home once...came back just as black headed. He couldn't drive at his age. He was in a cab that was struck by an IED and Small Arms Fire, knocked him out cold for three days. All he had was a headache and a little cut on his head. One of the men with him was killed and another wounded.

One of the guys from my section in Iraq survived the Twin Towers on this day. He told the story about having to run across people to get out. They had fell down and he told them they had to get through but they wouldn't go. He ran through and made it. My Lt. was a Volunteer Firemen in Clevland County NC then, he went up to help. He later joined the Marines (we were a joint section, USAR, USAF, and USMC)Yesterday night a year ago I spent trying to keep the Iraqis from shooting one another. They didn't, but someone had damn sure shot at them. They returned fire and the next day I found where a round cut the chain link fence. I've got a picture of it.

I'm thinking I might take a break, or go back to talking issues..they are never far from my mind. But then that would require allot of time. I may be putting some of my energies into other things. I suppose I'll see. I suppose you'll see too. I may post like I am now. Don't ask questions. You were warned.

Theres a good breeze blowing...Hope it brings rain. At this rate I might as well be back in Iraq...It's so dry it's pitiful.

The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

It took me most of the day yesterday to realize that it was 9/11. You know, I think that is a good thing. There were some stories in the paper, but no banner headlines or anything like that. I dreaded the first anniversary because of all of the hype and, as far as I was concerned, national whining. Now we are able to show a little dignity in our rememberance Again, I think that is good.

The thing I remember best about 9/11 was that despite what you said about "young people" or Americans in general, a lot of good, solid people stepped up to the plate. Some put on the uniform and others volunteered in other ways. But their quiet strength and steely conviction of purpose were, to me, impressive. The American spirit, the REAL American spirit, truly moved me.

Nice post, by the way. Too bad it had no name. It's like what, an orphan or something?

3:30 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Morning, Ed. I wouldn't have known it either if it had not been for dealing with the date. I kind of dread the annivesaries too, we get allot of lamenting to no avail. As sad as it is, allot of people just want to feed off of the drama. Then as you said, some stepped up to the plate. Either one of these guy's despite all faults and interest, I knew them for months before I knew it of either one of them.

I really didn't know what to call it Ed...I figured it was a good name...A non name...Thanks for the compliment though. Remember to watch out for those unmarked school zones.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming home has its problems too. I always thought I'd wait and let you talk about it at your own pace. Getting the dogs together is a grand idea. I am going to try to go to the mountains as much as I can . . . I hope to go down the Nantahala sometime between now and the end of October. One of my favorate memories is being with my children driving from Canton to the Blue Ridge Parkway and my daughter said, "It's like God took a paint brush and painted." She was bout twelve, and she had it right. Like the line from "Where the Red Fern Grows "I knew there wouldn't be much more of it and we tried to drink up all the moonlight before it ended." Take care.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, Bill coming home had it's problems, but it's alright. No, people like the stories I write...I'm starting to write again. There...I'm not sitting around here with PTSD. I have gone through motions...I'm less patient with people. The dogs? We're hoping this weekend to let them off of the lead, let em' run something.

Bill, about these mountains...They won't remember us...Paraphrased.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHHAHA! You funny on two counts...
Just for Men and don't ask questions.
Telling me to not ask questions is about like telling you not to bear hunt in the hill w/hunting dogs. It ain't gonna happen. Just do what ya want.....you are bookmarked.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Ok...But don't be too nosy.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

So, is a long tongue common in Sally's breed or did she just get lucky?

1:52 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You know, Murf, I honesly don't know. Oughtta look it up.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Define nosy...if you don't ask you won't learn, if one doesn't want to answer they will change the subject...or one can say "why do you ask?" Might be a good reason for the question to be asked or it might be someone just being nosy.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous! I'm nosy. Where're you from? I bet you're...from ...Red China! If I'm right I will tell you how I guessed and if I'm wrong I might tell you anyway...heheh. Bill...my red fern hound is pretty ain't she? I fed her some crab and lobster stuffed Atlantic Salmon tonight and she loved it...I even cooked it for her (it was thawed out too long for me for a week). Dan, I never thought her tongue was that long till I looked at the pic.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home