Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Transylsomewhere

The last few days thunderstorms have been hit and miss around Transylvania County. Thursday night while I was at work we were able to watch a storm in the distance. It started around Hickory and did the unusual thing of of moving south west. For hours we would see the lightening flashing high in the clouds and not hear the thunder. The storm grew as it moved closer, hitting Pisgah Forest about 2330. Through the evening it had been an awesome show of flashing lights silhouetting the the thunderhead. From high in the Balsams and the Blue Ridge you can watch the storms across the Piedmont, but, rarely do you see such a thing down in the valley.

On Friday rain finally fell for the first time in weeks at the house. The thunder sent both Squeaky and Bosco crouching from it's furry. Bosco worries about thunder and lightening so much it's bound to strike her one day. The thunder sounded as if it was splitting Wolf Mountain apart. The air felt refreshing and cool before the rain fell.

Law we need the rain. It's 9" plus behind and growing. I was hearing it was being a dry year here while I was over seas. Of course if your in the South East, this is not news for you.

I've seen the moon and the stars a thousand times, I've seen countless storms every where from the Great Lakes to Panama to the Mesopotamian Plain. But there are certain times that stay in my mind. That one time, that moment in time when there was a special quality to it. That one time you could feel the awe of a world far bigger than you.

Time is a precious thing. It is infinite. Yet time stands still and it disappears. Life in the moment is then and there, life in the future is always on the horizon, life in the past is time that has left. Times come in our lives that we do not hold, it holds to us. That moment of joy that was a wink of an eye or days gone by. That precious time when souls touch and love flows, they feel the happiness, find the harmony in their soulfulness, truthfulness… In their respect of, trust of each other. Souls intertwining in gratitude for the growth they feel with each other…Of each other, feeling it in themselves, having the understanding, the support for and loyalty to one another, finding the intimacy starting with the emotional, culminating in the physical that they reach up gracing their fingers into a higher realm and know that they have Heavens blessing. A time does sometime hold to us. A time is a precious thing.

The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we are very, very lucky we all have those moments of time. An open heart, an open mind and peace in ones soul help bring those moments.

Nicely done on the post. Thinking of you.
hugs~

8:14 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Have to agree with janie, it was a nicely done post.



Of course, the furry rain gave me pause, but otherwise.....

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Thank you.

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I was trying to say in ther previous post(and not too clearly) was that hillbillys is smart (I know the verb is incorrect.). Anyway, as I was reading your posting, I thought two things. I read about Bosco, and I laughed out loud before I knew it. Bosco and I are kin. He is at least a third cousin once removed. The second thing is that you are a good, no a very good writer. Thank God you made it home. Do what I don't do even when people ask me too . . . write . . . write about a place that is so obviously precious to you . . . the mountains and the valleys and the hills and the streams and the rivers and the people of Appalachia . . . wow . . . you did good. No, I ain't angry except when people put people down as a group . . . God doesn't make any group of people stupid . . . some of any group of people are smart or good or nice or special even hillbillies or lint heads when there was a textile industry . . . I lived in a mill town and well, people divide themselves and miss so much. You've seen more than your share of that though. Write . . . and don't throw it away . . . the writing can be built on . . . it's good enough to save. Keep it and let it outlive the mountains themselves. Bill Sipes

5:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank You everyone, I am humbled.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I totally get what you are saying...."That one time you could feel the awe of a world far bigger than you."

Can you believe that if we ever wanted to (or possibly have without even knowing) that you and I have looked at the very same moon at the very same time! Amazing! I can't help but think how massive the land is and we can still look at the same object, that far away from each other, at the very same moment in time.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

So true, Lee Ann. It's something indeed.

9:10 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I love sitting back and watching God's light shows. Fireworks never even come close.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

exMI, I do too, but I also like parachute flairs. It's possible you could see the same storm as well.

1:37 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Nope, I'm too far south to have seen that one. Although a friend over in Cullowee probably did.

Parachute flares are just strange. I'd be out at the latrine late at night at Bagram and suddenly the whole world lights up. Always made me a bit nervous wondering if they were actually looking FOR something instead of just looking.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Cullowee probably heard it but the Balsams probably blocked it. Hickory is a far piece from Transylvania County, but it was a very high storm.

Parachute flairs do have an eeriness all of their own.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home