Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Kosher Individualism

I learned somethng this week. Pick up a bottle of Heinz ketchup, now look at the label. See a "K"inside a circle? It's been deemed Kosher by a Rabbi. Same thing with a "U" inside a circle. I guess it means there are no pigs feet inside this pea nut butter. Orthadox Jews look for these labels. What does that mean to you? Well, I don't know, because if you were Jewish you would know. I'm not sure what this means to you, but, I wanted to tell you anyhow.

I met a Rabbi in Iraq, he was 2nd Bgd 2nd ID's Brgade Chaplain, a LTC (O5). Nice guy. Interesting conversation.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I went to Iraq. I did my best, I did what I could and I did nothing wrong...Though, I could have done better. That doesn't make me better or privledged, just reinforces my ideal that I don't want nobody to fuck with me(I'm not anti social, I'm pro Me. I'm also pro You. That makes me pro individual). But, to what I am saying. I have a shirt, that says I was on Taji. No bosting, just not ashamed. The first time I wore it to the Diner a former B52 Pilot bought my breakfast...Very kind of him. The second time, this last weekend, a man asked if I was on Taji. He had just returned from Iraq and Afghanistan filming a documentary on Military Chaplins. He was there a short time and found it fascinating, and it is in the short term. Speaking of I got an e-mail from one of my old terps' and everyone is safe and sound.


The girl that first got Bosco from her mysterious past was blind and wanted her for a seeing eye dog. Every morning as I go down the drive way she's out in front making sure there are no rabbits or any thing to hold me up. Just like she did before I went away. Bosco was going to be a Guide Dog one way or the other.


I've written this in bits and peices. If it reads oddly, rememebr, I'm pro individual.

It's all Kosher
The Appalachianist

17 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Probably only people that go there on their own would find a war zone 'fascinating'.

Speaking of fascinating, I wonder what the "U" stands for. K for Kosher is easy but why the need to use any other letter? Sounds like something Ramblin' Ed would do.
:-)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I beleive the "U" stands for Union of Orthadox Rabbi's. So I am told. Oh, no, it's fascinating. A War Zone is a fascinating thing.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

It reads oddly mostly because you are fairly odd.

I liked the anti-social comment. About being pro-me. Then pro-you. Good way to be. I am all for you (the plural, not you personally AI)and whatever blows your skirt up, right up until you start trying to force it (or its premise, or its acceptance, or its funding, etc) on me. Then, like you, I am less pro-you and more screw you.

Ramblin' Ed knows nothing from Rabbais. Not come up in this lifetime, so you're on your own on that one.

Last comment: I think a war zone would frighten me into soiling my britches. Just the idea of imminent death maks me all girly. Hate to say it, and I will launch missiles at you from 60 miles if necessary. But anything where small arms are involved (except midget bowling) is too close for me.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaah....I can always count on APP to teach me something new and interesting. One of the many things I like about you. I used to be a fan of Heinz, only brand I bought until I got a good dose of Teresa Heinz-Kerry and decided I didn't want to spend my money there, so now I am a Hunts girl until I find something out about them that irritates me. Nice that the Jews have a Ketchup though. I can appreciate that. I recently saw a TV story that Muslims will say a prayer over a chicken before they chop their heads off. I wish American slaughter houses would do that. Animals deserve a prayer if you are gonna eat them. It's the right thing to do.

I am not ashamed you went to Iraq either APP. I am proud of you and of course you did an excellent job, I have no doubt about that. I am waiting for the day to be in the right place and the right time to buy a Vet a meal spontaneous impromptu style. Been wanting to do that for a long time. I have home cooked for a few Vets, but that is not the same. I did take a WWII Omaha Beach, Distinguished Service Cross recipient out for lunch the other day. I love that man, living history and an honorable man. Absolutely one of America's finest.

Thanks for the info on the Chaplain documentary. I have a Chaplain I admire very much, he always would go outside the wire to be w/the men. He bought me dinner when he got back.

And yes, war is FASCINATING. I live and breath it everyday and have never been in one, or to Iraq/Stan, but if I had a chance to go I would go in a heart beat.

Nothing like a dog that does it's job! Gotta love Bosco.

By the way, the chestnut trees are getting those prickly balls on them now. Not long before they will hit the ground, make a mess, hurt like the devil if you step on one in bare feet or flip flops, but they do offer some pretty nuts. I once put some chestnuts in a basket in my home for decor, ya know fall bounty kind of thing, they were so beautiful, a few days later I found worms crawling around on them...so much for decor. Fall IS just around the corner. Nature has her way of telling us such things.

I am pro-me too, and I am ever so grateful to have folks like you so I can stay that way. Thank you so much for being pro-individual. God Bless ya on that one. Nothing wrong w/being odd, however, I prefer to be called eclectic, unique, no one else like me... over "odd".

10:21 AM  
Blogger Snakeeater said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Snakeeater said...

Murf and AI:

The circled "U" stands for parve or pareve, which means that the product has been deemed neither dairy nor meat. Jews who stick to strict Kosher never mix the two and even have two sets of cookware--one for meat and one for dairy. A product that is parve can be combined with either.

The circled "U" comes from an organization called Orthodox Union which provides the service of certifying foods as Kosher, parve, etc. to food companies.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ramb'Ed, I knew could count on you to say something about that while no one wants to touch it...except the next commenter....

Mew, I know that is you. The slaughter thing reminds me of a conversation with a terp once. I did my job, that is all I did. I'm glad you are pro me/you too, for war zones, stay here and see the Chestnut put out, it's far more pretty. And thanks for everything.

Holden, come back, say your piece...

Snakeeater, thanks for the clarification on that. Awfully interesting stuff...makes you go Hmm. Anyhow thanks for stopping by.

I had drill for the first time since I got back this weekend. Columbia was miserable hot. Not nearly as bad as where I was this time last year. I heard rumor a friend of mine from the unit still over there got wounded.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The point being is that you DID your job...not many people actually DO their job...it's our culture these days. Lazy, complacent, pass the buck arse's are everywhere. So just doing your job means you did a good job...if that makes sense. Besides I still hold true, I know you did an excellent job.

If you can track down your wounded buddy's addy send it on, he will be needing some love and support.

What was the Terps' story?

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did fine, and I am glad you made it home more or less whole in mind and body. You did good, and I ain't gonna say no different, and I personally don't want to hear anyone say any different. Folks can discuss the war and argue all day, but leave the grunts alone. God bless them. We (you and me and the country) need them, and I hope that the sun shines on you for a long time. I won a weekend pass to St. Louis from Fort Leonard Wood for shooting expert and got screamed and cursed as I walked around. How did they know I was in the army (joke, ha, ha). I didn't appreciate it.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Bill. I'm sorry for that. People should not yell and curse at other folks. Except for idiot driversin front of you, but they rally deserve it.

I'm headed to K.C this weekend. Want me to pick out an unsuspecting peacenik for a little retribution? I mean, I'm going out for ribs anyway....

3:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew, it's true about folks doing their job, but, truth be told, most people have good in them despite all of the dysfunctional overtones of our society. At times we had push memebers of our section, it was not the most fulfiling mission or the most easily conceptable. Yet, when it came to a crunch, they picked up their step and came through.

Bill, that was different times. It was hip to do such things back then. Now people are just curious.
Good ol' Lost In The Woods...

Is that Kansas City Ed?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yessir, it is Kansas City. Not exactly St. Louis where Bill had his problem, but I figured it was close enough in a pinch.

...And if you think about it, he didn't say NOT to whap a peacenik upside the head, now did he?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, all I know is Kansas City has got lot's of pretty women.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I was stationed there in the mid-70s (Richards-Gebaur AFB, now closed) KC is definitely a good town for ribs.

Glad to hear Bosco keeps them rabbits from impeding you on your way to work.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you missed it, A.I. Here's an interview from Petraeus by Alan Colmes and check out that bit from Tom Brokaw about y'all that went over there and the ones still over there. Interview

A lot of folks appreciate what you all did and those still doing it. It weren't easy by no means, especially Guard and Reservists. That's a heck of a commitment.

So again, thank you!

A.G.T.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I am usually very observant, but I have to admit that I have not noticed the "K" or the "U" before and I have no idea what it means. I am Episcopalian.
I don't see any reason at all why you should be ashamed of being in Iraq. I think you should be proud. I am proud of you.
I also happen to think that you are very much pro Individuals!
Have a great weekend cutie!
~xo
Lee Ann

9:15 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, on a personal level it was a rewarding experience. Not in the way people would think though. I walked away tweeked...I saw allot of history made, that last month especially. I think what people really appreciate is my "commitment".

Lee Ann, nice of you to stop by. I'm a Baptist myself, but I'm more non denominational in my veiws. Christ taught to love each other (not in eros fashion) and you don't see as much of that coming from the oraganised church. Not that I'm a saint, I'm sure not.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home