Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, June 15, 2007

I feel alright – I feel alright tonight

After a 21 ½ hour flight over 5,864 miles the remaining part of my task force was back in to where it had departed from, Volk Field Wisconsin. I was on the first flight into theater and the last flight out. We took 360 over and all came back with every thing intact (we did have some non combat injuries). We thank God for that. The statistics for death in Iraq are light, but, the reality is, you’re going to where you won’t die, but be killed or maimed.

The first week back home has been a stormy one, both in weather and in life. I’ve heard that it’s been dry for months, then as soon as I get back rain. It’s rained every day. My personal life has had it’s storms too. Not from “dramatic effects” of the war, but, life here. I’m not the same person I was before I went to Iraq or this time last week. The earth is a far more pretty place to me now and the world that more uglier. Things are rarely what they seem.

Folks have been really nice though. From the nice folks in Bangor Maine that lined up to shake our hands when we landed in there to the man in the barber shop this morning. My phone has barely rung. I did wind up on the Channel 13 News and receive a few e-mails as well as people saying that they saw me. But, everyone has been really polite, I’ve been asked a few pointed questions, and the strongest one from my Civilian Boss, but, he’s a Vietnam Vet, so I answered him straight out. He’s been there, done that. He knows where I’m coming from.

Nothing I did was glorious or heroic. My experience was not movie material. People often thank me, but, all I did was go do my job. NO ONE has a right to be jealous of me. As all of the fakes come out looking for attention, let them have it. People love it when you’re full of shit. I went and did my job as best I could, it wasn’t pretty nor ugly, it was just my job. Nuff said.

Bosco, as I said, came right up to me. God bless her. I pulled up into my yard after dark, she walked right up to me wagging her tail and let me hug her. Other than my mother and aunt that I let meet me at the air port ( The Reguvinator was going to drop my truck off for me) that hug with Bosco set the precedence. So, I’ve hugged a dog and a Tomcatskitten, and those have meant the world to me. As I was somewhere over the North Atlantic my Grand Son was born. He’s beautiful. Today I held my finger out to him and he grabbed hold and squeezed it. His whole hand wraps around my finger. Looks allot like his daddy, has his mama’s eyes. Odd as it is to me, at not quite 39, listening to harder music than my kids (actually step kids), but, that’s how it is when you get involved with someone that started young and they start young.

So, that’s it. I’ve got things I’m working on. I’ve got a life to live.

Today your love, tomorrow the world…

The Appalachianist

(This picture was given to me by a friend from Kansas, it was from the storms that had the tornadoes this spring)

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, again, welcome home, A.I.

And again, thank you for your service to your country and fellow citizens. A few may not, but a very large majority of us do appreciate the sacrifices y'all make to keep us a free nation.

I mean that. God bless ya!

A.G.T.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Gunner, but I know you really want to know about that Yugoslavian M92 in my hands...

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is just amazing that something so pretty could come from such a storm..glad to have ya back!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, A.I., to be honest I didn't really look all that close only noticing it peripherally and thought "AK", but it isn't one, is it? It that some sort of flash suppressor on it? Is it 7.62x39 or that 5.45 round?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ms Kitten, ain't it the truth...I suppose there's beauty in everything...Maybe even wart hogs. It's good to be back.

Gunner, that is an AK variant. It differs in that the receiver cover flips up, doesn't pull off, and the rear sights are on the receiver cover. It has a 10" barrel. It does shoot the 7.62x39, and that is a Krenkov style stabilizer/suppressor. The shame is, I didn't get to shoot it. I would prefer it without the flip stock. it does come with a side folding stock, but the Iraqi's aren't much for aiming.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Geez, A.I., didn't I tell you that you changed a couple of months ago? You never listen to me. ;-)

Unconditional love of a dog and a baby that doesn't know better yet is a great thing, isn't it?

5:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I suppose your right about Bosco and the Baby. No, I ain't the same person. Thanks for reassuring me.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(lol),,thanks for the dogs and the beans...it's kind strange to have you feeding me..lol..tell mom i said thank you!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, you've fed me a few times over the years. Those Nathan's and those baked beans would make some mean beanie weenies, you know. She'll be tickled.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

My pleasure, A.I. I pride myself on helping people keep their egos in check. I seem to have my work cut out with you North Carolina boys. :-)

3:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I wasn't thinking so much in terms of ego, but...OK. I'm drafting a new post...But, I'm going to go and stomp the woods some.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

By the way, A.I., that's kind of a hot picture of yourself that you posted. Janie and I are big fans of the slight glimpse of chest hair. ;-)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

It is a beautiful world in deed! Glad you are living your life...do it to the fullest!
~xo

6:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I just wish I could have shot that M92, Murf. The guy next to me had a hairy chest too, and he would gladly bare it for you, but, posting a picture of him would be kinda bad...he almost cried when I left. So...I've avoided this embarrassing comment...

Lee Ann, that is exactly what I intend to do. good your recovering fine.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned sumtin' about buying yourself a new "toy" a few posts ago while still in Iraq. Have you done it yet? What caliber?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm hoping it gets here today, Gunner. When it does, you will read all about it.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Why is the flag patch on your arm in the picture upside down?

6:53 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Actually it's more backwards than upside down.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was all good news to me. I was just reading the posting and enjoying the news and minding my own business and then you had to write your grandson had been born and being a stupid, sentimental, old fart who has been blessed with a grandson of his own, I had to gasp and cry. You know what's important and that is what's important. Good going and thanks.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Tomcatskitten said it right about the picture. It is amazing that something so pretty could come from such a storm.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a GREAT post APP!
Congratulations on your grandson! ENJOY!

So happy to hear you got a HUG from Bosco, dog hugs are the BEST!
Some may differ on that opinion but no one will love you like your dog:)

Thank you so much for your update, I really appreciate it.

Hugs and Cheers!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I need not explain that. Which way is the flag facing? which shoulder? In other words the flag is not running.

Bill, yeah...it's funky odd...But, he's a pretty fellar. It doesn't rob me of my youth. I still live my life like I got a pair.

Thanks annon...Your from Virginia, ain't ya?

I really ought to post...

6:38 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Uh...o.k. I guess I'll ask someone else who can explain it a bit clearer.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home