Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

What The Kitten Drug In...

Tomcatskitten sent me this, I'm proud to love her
too. Even looks like her some. She's not animated though. Nothing against animated women, I've seen some pretty ones with a load of personality, I'd go out with if I could. The camouflaged bikini suits her, she hunts, but that is not why I love her. I'd love her if she pickled mango's for fun. She's a fun gal.

It hit 99 today and a haze of dust settled over everything. Two days ago it poured, and my truck wouldn't crank. I used another truck, a Nissan CabStar and got it stuck in the mud out on the perimeter road. I had the nearest guard call for a Uaz Jeep over his Motorola and one of the best Iraqi NCO's we have, in my opinion, came out and hooked me up. I was without an Interpreter and after he slipped and spun around pulling me...For about a hundred yards...I
indicated to him to put it in four wheel drive. He said "mahku" and waved his hands in "finish mode". He got stuck pulling me out, and we had to call for a Uaz with four wheel drive. Boy we were a mess. I apologized to them, and they grinned at me. We have put so much gravel on these roads and it lasts but a rain getting pushed down into the clay mud. Once I got so far I knew I had to keep moving or I was going to be stuck. Well, I got stuck.

This one NCO pays attention to his duty, he's smart, on top of things, a former trainer. I see something in him I don't like though. He's beaten down. I've provided praise for him trying to get him in Signal School, only to see the Iraqi Officers look suspiciously at each other. He's identified problems to me and asked not to be named because he would be blamed. On several occasions I've seen him scrambling to take up slack with no support...I mean NONE...from his superiors. I've suggested to him how to adjust Guard Posts to cover a shortage, for him to tell me he couldn't do that, that I could, I was an American. Blamed when things go wrong and powerless to change it. But when we were training Guards back in the fall and winter (most have quit already) he was there keeping them straight, helped with the training, and was good at it, but they beat him down. He came down there and happily pulled me out of the mud, and guy's like him are losing in this damn thing.

The Appalachianist



15 Comments:

Blogger OutOfContext said...

How do you think that Iraqi NCO will fare when the US presence is gone? You've really got to worry about how those who have worked closely with our guys will fare then.
Been reading you for quite a while and wanted to say thanks for a glimpse into the war that's hard to find anywhere else. I don't know what level of freedom of expression you're allowed nowadays in the war zone, but I appreciate the honest approach. Make sure you keep writing when you get back home.
Thanks too, for tipping us on Dexateens, Naked Ground is one of my favorite listens these days.
One last thing--the picture at the top of post reminds me of the way WWII planes were decorated. I just did a post on that myself and wondered what kind of equipment augmentation, if any, today's soldiers do.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lord love you, A. I stop by and read you now and again, since you write so beautifully.

It's a gorgeous day here in Grassy Fork, Tennessee. We had a late freeze that killed most of the pasture, redbuds and dogwood blossoms, but it is starting to come back and the goats, sheep and cows are happy. Haying season will be late this year but come, it will.

I can only imagine how much you miss the greenness. It is a pretty Appalachian spring day today...perfect day to go tease the trout in Big Creek. Just wanted you to know you were thought of.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, i don't think i could get much hunting done in that little out fit.that is more of a coming home out fit...yes tell us about the sort of nose art and graphics used now..i was told clinton did away with a lot of it because it was derogatory to send a nasty message on a bomb you intend to drop from 30,000 ft. and women were somehow degraded by being pained on a beautiful piece of fighting equipment known for it's performance and ability to save mens lives..sorry if i just insulted anyone, but i think i have been compaired to a lot worse..

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sugar bear, you come home safe and i promise i will pickle you some mangos and wear anything you like.i love you too. sorry to hear these guys will have it so tough.

3:30 PM  
Blogger sage said...

something about mud and war... stay safe!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so upset about what you said about the NCO's treatment. I was going to offer my two cents worth and by the time I got through reading all the postings I had calmed down. Just make sure your young rear end comes home. We got a frost two weeks ago that killed 90% of the peaches kinda like Grassy Fork, Tennessee. How can you stay upset when you read the comments of people who are following you and supporting you, but I ain't never gonna call you "Sugar Bear." All you all take care and let's get 'em home. Take care. Bill

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, can you put more of them pitures up. They sure is purty. I had to go back and look and see she is wearin' a bikini. My goodness . . . . it must be my new glasses. Bill

6:22 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey you'll, I'm sorry for not getting to you quicker, especially you first time commenter's. I appreciate you'll.
I don't have the time at the minute for a detailed response, but, I will get back to your questions.

Glad I turned someone on to The Dexateens. I appreciate the beautiful writing comment Rosy.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I can see you liking Jessica Rabbit. So when is the wedding?

5:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Alright, one comment at a time...

You don't have the romantic nose art any more. (Nearly 20 years ago I did see a demon with a blazing mini gun on the side of an AC130 Specter Gun Ship)Anything here is stenciled in black, Ive seen sculls with roman legion helmets on trucks, masked outlaws on Humvees, wolfs heads on Black hawks...You have a heavily gender integrated Military any more (still women liked to be admired), and we are in a Muslim Country we wish to stabilize, these are the ingredients in being more tamed.

How will guys like this one NCO do? First realize, the Iraqis are not stupid. He will deal with things the way he did before we came here. He will say "Inshalla" and work around things the best he can. He will deal with their silly corruption and scrape by on what he can. Will he succeed? Only if his leaders do.

Rosy, sometimes I wouldn't mind farming goats myself. I don't know if I write beautifully on here. That is a real compliment though.
The hay will be late? it's later for us up on the head of the river. I do look forward to seeing the hay grass waving in the wind. "Marriage is love", read that on your blog...I like that. Those three words say allot.

Kitten,You would be so cute shivering in the cold wearing that.I don't know the story...I don't know what was said on the bombs or whatever, or what was said about it. I do know Bill Clinton was more derogatory to women by fathering their children and denying them, among other things than any of those Air Force and Navy E-4's were. The man was a hypocrite. We suffer from Cultural Marxism, even without him.
Women liked to be admired, if it's in good taste...Sugar bear? OK, Honey Bunny sugar pie sweetness.

I'll get to the rest of yun's later on...Fee Mah Laah

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all home..all safe...have a great day sugar bear..

9:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, it's a shame when it frosts like that, but it's Mother nature...Cruel as she may be.

Murf, I intend to romance the Kitten for a while...

Kitten, I intend to romance you...

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my, well big boy, come peel me a grape..lol..take care sugar bear

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doen't Rosie write well? The mountains are there before us and after us. It is why I took my children there when they were growing up. I figured I wouldn't be there one day, but the mountains would, and they are beautiful. They just are. Myself, some day I want to raise guinea hens, but that's another story. Take care. Bill

7:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, I'll look for a pairing knife...

Bill there is a book called "The Mountains Want Remember Us". And they damn sure won't.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home