Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Year

A year ago this time I was back in Buttholeville, "Strangeylvania" County North Carolina with orders for Iraq in my hand. People had a whole list of questions for me. I was going to Iraq, that's all I could tell them and all I knew. Everyone meant well, but with all I had to do it was exhausting. In a days time my Army E-Mail account roller coaster'd. "Sign this waiver saying you will go with less than a 30 day notice"..."Don't sign the waiver"..."You get your orders this weekend"...and I did.

A year before that I was roller coastered in a days time..."We have four names, we need three of you 11 Bravo's to go with an MI Unit"..."Turns out we didn't need you". Well, fate has landed me here, Taji. I could be in worse places.

I'm an Infantryman, and I act more like an MP. We do a Guard Mount with the Iraqis, they would drag to it like it was a burden. Now they enjoy it. They're smiling in the mornings and joking. I go around to check how they are running things, list their issues and try to find answers to sell them. They come to me grinning, "Hey Wilson, Sabah Al Kaihr". They ask me about my home, a place they can't conceive, and when I go home people will ask me about here, a place they can't conceive. I was talking with a Security Contractor, a Mercenary (there is nothing wrong with that) he had done work in Central and South America, I've been to Central America. They can't be compared to Iraq. The Judio Christian (Quasi anymore) West and the Middle East have two different logics. Both Baghdad and Cairo are the filthiest cities I've ever been to. Saddam's Military bases were a collection of junk piles. The Iraqis love gardens, a Forest is something they don't fathom. The find it crazy that we build houses out of wood and not concrete. Only the desert is open space to them and it's brutal and unforgiving. It's two different worlds. A year later and I'm in that world. I once dreamed I would go back to Egypt. I now know that is here. God was warning me I guess.

I was wondering if I would recognize my home town when I get back. I still wonder. heck, they are taring part of it down and throwing up new. Which that happens, but it's a big building with shops and condos. No one gives a damn about the average folk there anymore. Afford ability will not be part of that. The Condos will cost more than the average home from what I read. It's growth, but it ain't smart growth.

Now ain't you glad I posted?
The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

interesting about how neither can comprehend the other... I would love to see Egypt, to hike in the Sinai (pretend I'm Moses), to travel to Turkey and Afganistan (they have incredible mountains which would be great places to trek if it wasn't for so darn dangerous--but then it's always been dangerous). I never really wanted to go to Iraq... Glad you're safe

9:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I'd like to see the Sinai myself. I just may have a chance to see Afghanistan, but I figure the next time will be here. To me there is no place like Appalachia.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

It is very interesting to learn about those places. I am sure it must have been hard on you the ups and downs the known and unknowns.
Just glad to hear from you and know you are ok cutie!
Be safe!
~xo

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son came by to day and actually asked about going camping in the mountains which means Brevard or Cherokee. Cades Cove is a little too far, so I said we can compromise and stay at the Holiday Inn in Cherokee (kidding). I think the Pisgah Inn restaurant is still closed although I will check. I'd get upset about your calling one of my favorite places "Buttholeville," but it's your hometown, and I know you love it, or you would't dog it so. Some folks have a right to say what they want to say and to be exempt from the criticism of correctness. They just need to be tolerated. I have an older WWII buddy (I was a pall bearer at his wife's funeral.) whom I allow to say pretty much what he thinks. He's earned it the hard way, and so have you. Now, remember to stay safe and come home with your experiences to remember and share with us. (I am going to try to go to church there. I hope the little brick church near Camp Davidson.)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read my oh so formal note, but I can't call you x's and o'x and cutie. Just keep your own self safe. Bill

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who said it, but it goes something like, "You can never go home again."

Change is the only constant. After 6 decades that lesson is finally sinking in.

A.G.T.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I don't have the time right now to reply specifically to all of you'll, but I'll get back to yuns.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is way to early for me to get on my soap box this morning,,but home will always have it's wild places,,even if it's just in the hearts of a few locals, and even some respective visitors..

3:42 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Every time I tried to reply yesterday something catastrophic happened to it. Inshalla this will post.

Lee Ann, It's good to see you and I am glad your OK yourself. Thanks for all of the x's and o's.

Bill, I call Brevard Butthleville for several reasons. The church you speak of is made of Rocks. When you pull in across the bridge look straight up at that ridge. I've had some good times up there. Have fun no matter where you go. Nothing personal, but your kind of scuzzy to be given me x's and o's any how.

Gunner, I've heard that. Change is constant, one day we just may manage to change for the better.

Ms. Kitten, this may be true, But, I don't think God intends for it to be a fading memory in our hearts.

Alright, let's see if this posts. You'll don't be too great a heathens.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, if you think "Buttholeville, Stranglevania (or is it Strangelvania?) is bad, how 'bout the place I come from: Franklinstein of Fakin' County,
Nu Clearina, U.S.A. ("United State of Anarchy or United States of Amexica" take your pick. Hint: the more sarcastic I appear, the more angry I have been. I have come to the conclusion that there have been so many whining for zoning here then a moratorium similar to Jackson Counties' building moratorium is order here also. Go "Whole hog or none at all". There are those that say "but what of the jobs?" What? The jobs that out-of-towner contractors and aliens are doing-not the locals. Nobody threw up any signs for we who lost our jobs due to plant layoffs and closings and deindustrializations of "Franklinsteins Monster! To hell with those whiners! The carpetbagging realtors have the monster-making ability! This has all ruined my mountains!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Twister, the biggest difference between Buttholeville and Franklinstein is they sit on two different rivers between two different Mountain Ranges. There is a little more economic opportunity in Trashylvania due to it's proximity to Hendersonville and Asheville. The illegal emigration problem is a result of our failed policy and procedures, the exploiting of the real estate market is progress in retrograde. Now that's carpet bagging!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I said, kind a. Always cone on board after all the x's and o's make me kinda self-conscious. I went to Brevard this weekend. I tried to have breakfast at Kelly's. It is closed. You said it would be. Saw "The 300" with my son and went over Mt. Pisgah to Waynesville and down to Cherokee. The mountains at elevation on the Blue Ridge are still pretty barren, but some green is coming out- a lot of dead trees. Had an argument about an animal in a tunnel. I think it was a woodchuck. At the beginning of the Smokies at the homestead coming out of Cherokee saw five elk. I think they were just released a year or two ago. They seemed to have wintered over well. Hiram, my son, and I kinda visted the old haunts and campgounds. They are still there. Saw the urban sprawl such as it is in Brevard along the strip. Waynesville seems to be in better shape business wise. Take care. Talked to Sgt Maj Sueberling the other night. We mentioned you.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home