Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Post 290

I can't say I feel bad. I didn't work out yesterday night, the night before I wasn't in any stride. When I do Card and Abs I do 30 minutes on the Stair Stepper ad 30 on the Elyptical. I usually hit just under the equivalent of 4 miles with the Elyptical, doing 2 miles in about 15:25. I was 20 seconds behind that yesterday night. Tonight I did 4.5 miles in 30 minutes, doing 2 in 14:26. I believe I burned about 378 calories according to the read out. This is after doing 30 minutes on the Stair Stepper (240+ calories is all I know, didn't pay much mind) and 50 Inclined Crunches. Some days your better than others. I don't mean to brag, but it feels pretty good.

After I had been here a couple of months the 172nd Brigade was extended four months and brought down from Mosul. They lived in the Gym trying to make time go quicker. You couldn't hardly get in there for them, and, you couldn't blame them. It sucked to be them. That and working longer hours when I first got here kept me from going. Now I'm making time go quicker. By all indications I'm under 100 days left....Just knocked on wood. You do that allot here. And, you never say never.

I learned today that someone I met briefly a few months back got blew up yesterday. I was in BIAP on my way home for two weeks. I had to go to the terminal only to be told to go back and stay at "The Stables", a collection of sand bagged tents and cots. I was waiting for the bus to take me there and saw a Security Contractor that ran some convoy's to us. They were doing a PSD Run to Abu Grhaib. He said they would drop me off (He owed me a favor) and I hopped into one of the trucks. It was driven by an EXPAT American that I had not met. Nice feller, he had no attitude about going a little out of the way for me. He was listening to Nickel Back and the Kurdish Trigger Pullers were grinning at me. When they pulled off I wondered for a few seconds if I had somehow messed with their fate...That was in October. Today I learned the guy that drove that truck got hit a little north of here. A South African guy was with him and two Kurds killed. He and the South African were Airlifted to Germany. Nice feller.

That night at The Stables I talked with a 20 year old Medic that had to scoop his buddies intestines out of a Gun Truck trying to save his life while under fire. He didn't realize he had been wounded too until he got to the CASH. He was fine though. That's War.

I have another post under construction I just don't have the ending direction with it. I don't know when I'll post it. Don't get ancie and bug me about it.

The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got home just in time to write son Hiram a check for tuition. I hope he gradummninates. I ain't gonna agimitate you cause I ain't messin' with nobody's karma. Yeah, knock on wood. A couple of months ago I went to Patricia Nelson's funeral. She had pancreatic cancer and was only 53. You probably remember her from the WET site. Yeah its all around us. I used to over 800 calories tryin' to keep up with you young men and stay in the reserves. I need to get back to the CAC. You shamed me. Tough up short timer and get home. I didn't mean to get srious with you. I know its serious, but I'll post about the bears later. I saw a hen turkey cross the road this morning way out in the woods. She looked like she had wintered over real good and was beautiful. Bill

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exercise is one of those things that you think would make you tired, but it's the opposite effect as in the long run you actually have more energy. Or at least that's what Mrs A.G.T. and I have discovered.

Sorry to hear 'bout the casualties. They've got families that are hurting, second guessing, wishing they'd said this or that to 'em while they were still alive. Damned tough business and I'm thankful there's folks like that and folks like you who do it for us. I mean that, A.I. Thanks for answering the call.

A.G.T.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did all that work and its only worth a few hundred calories??
Hmm..I'll just pass on that 2nd pizza slice. That's more calories than what you burnt up.
( :

hugs~

12:44 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I heard about her dieing. She was pretty cool. I never had a problem with her, of course most folks down there were nice. I've got allot of time spent there, but those days are over. And good. I was ready to move on.

It is having more energy, speeding up your metabolism too. I figure you and the Mrs. have discovered right.

Janie, it takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat. So, working at it from both ends is ones bet bet...Come on now, Pizza ain't that high in calories...

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you. It all moves on with time. It isn't there anymore at least not for us. You've got your hands full now for sure, but you have inspired me to get off my sorry butt and go out to the CAC. I won't be able to use the bicycle anymore, maybe the reclining cycle, but I can at least get back to walking. I was happy to see that Turkey hen the other day. She looked healthy. Spring is coming and a new season. Hope you are home on schedule. Take care and thank you for you kind replies. Bill

11:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

If I can inspire anyone to do anything it makes me pretty dawlgone happy, Bill. That Turkey Hen wasn't wearing a tutu was she?

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should be ready for little outdoor fun if your in that great a shape sugar bear..

9:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Truthfully, Ms. Kitten, I really look forward to stomping those Mountains again. You figure you can keep up?

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home