Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Burden Of Lies

In the last few months I was in 3/75 I had a room mate that was some character. He was in his sophomore year of college and decided to join the Army after seeing the movie Platoon. He would have you rolling on the floor. He was full of lots of funny little college stories. He was smart…A little too smart. Every morning when I woke up I saw his Girl Friends face. She was beautiful and reeked of personality from her pictures he had placed on a ceiling tile as a bulletin board. She loved him…Everyone did. The two of us would have never been friends other than being Rangers together. But, we were friends.

After a while his stories seemed a little too much. We started catching him in things. It didn’t seem real. He never lied during any of our duties about them though.

Every morning I saw the girls face I saw her alone. He was never there. He had another Girl Friend actually a couple. I can’t remember exactly how it went, but the pretty blond headed girl from a Mid Western University caught him…unintentionally as far as we knew. Or as his story went, you didn’t know what to believe in him. It seems he acted as if it was her problem. He did say she was really upset though. I remember joking with him to leave her pictures up that I was kind of used to her. He looked at the floor agitated and said “I’m heading out, Willy”.

Me and another of my buddies sat there in the room that day looking at her pictures. He was older, a prior service from the Navy. Women were objects to him. He liked them, but didn’t see them as something to get attached to. He said it though. “He’s done lied to her, messed around on her, and fed her full of bull shit. She’s a good looking girl and because of his shit she hates men now. A fucking waste.”

My room mate started seeing one a little more after that. Another guy in the Battalion had dated her. That would happen and guy’s would rub it in the crudest of way’s they could. It was just cruel joking. When it came around to him he just shrugged and frowned.

The girl he spent the most time fooling around with he decided he was going to get rid of. He tried fixing her up with me. “Willy, you need a girl friend?” “No, but I could use one”. “I ought to fix you up with Name.” That was his college girl friends name, but that’s not who he was talking about. “No, I don’t like the way that sounded”. “Fuck! I don’t know what I’m going to do”.

It was just three weeks later he was married. I was advanced party in Puerto Rico and met him coming off of the Drop Zone. “I got married Willy”, he said. “Who to?” “Name”.

“I guess this means your moving out of the room?” “Yep”.

He was in Ranger School when I left Bn. After calling and catching up with them after Panama went down I learned that the Leadership had referred him to a Psychologist.

He and his Wife split accusing each other of cheating.

I don’t think a Psychologist would have done him any good. When you make plain things into exciting things people like it. Somewhere along the line he learned that. It was a part of his show…The girl from the Mid Western University loved a facade. We were laughing at things that where being blown way out of proportion and events that didn’t happen. Lying got results, so, he lied. It’s a form of manipulation. He was smart and his lies were well crafted. I really can’t forgive him of that. I’d feel sorry for him if I believed in feeling sorry for people.

He was my friend, but, he was a liar, a womanizer and full of shit…And, I’d love to see him. The last I heard of him, twelve years ago, he was a male stripper in Florida. Perfect for him, good looking and full of shit. I wouldn’t know what to believe from him today. But we would laugh while cutting up and I’d do him about any favor I could. He really hadn’t crossed my mind in years, not since we were fighting the Black Beret being issued out to everyone. I thought I saw him on the petition.

Me and the “Texican” were talking about it the other morning. Iraqi’s will lie to save face. They lie to please you. They lie to get out of responsibility. It can be aggravating. But, I can’t hold it against them. They don’t know any better and we’ve all done it. What makes me mad is when they lie about not taking care of their Soldiers, which is chronic.

It’s selfish. Lies are selfish manipulations. Untruths for someone’s selfish gain.

Truth shines through the fog of a lie sooner or later. No matter how carefully crafted. Despite how horrible this world is its God’s world and he is ultimately in control. He simply leaves us to our own devices. He allows the truth to be known. We realize the fools we were.

You’ll can probably use a dose of cheer up after reading this. That stuff is non alcoholic and can’t be gotten in the store. I don’t intend to talk bad about the boy. Like I say he was my friend, but the truth is the truth. He was a liar, a womanizer and full of shit. He was right there in it with us though. He’s not the only liar I’ve known. The pretty disrespected girl friend most likely got over it. The offended wife has long since moved on. The majority of us have lost contact with each other. We’re loyalties that cross each others minds anymore. It's said the best thing you can do is be yourself, but after a while where does the self end?

The Appalachianist

(sorry about the language)

19 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

That was a pretty sad story. Since I don't know where to get a bottle of cheer up I'll have a can of Cheerwine, also non-alcoholic as I suppose you know.

Bill Sipes: Potable means drinkable. That water was non-potable, so you were not supposed to drink it.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I like Cheerwine too, Ed.

I didn't answer bills question didn't I? Sorry Bill. I'm not used to typing at tat many people at once.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for some reason likes murfs name for this girl,,jailbate..yeah, it has a ring..buck us off? well, getty up sugar bear..

9:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

"Good Morning, Jailbate, how are you? Excuse me while I brush my teeth and shave". Hmm...
Oh boy, a sugar bear rodeo...Souns like a road side attraction in Cherokee.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...getting a little bit warm in here...Pardon me while I fan myself. Nice one Tomcatskitten.

I don't like lies either! No way to be in a relationship let alone profess to love oneanother.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes sir, about the potable. I was being stupid and laughing up my sleeve so to speak, but remember the pictures being posted meant you were ok. The other story, this one, is a sad one. I thought for a minute you were writing about Bill Clinton, (or my ex-wife now disbarred and driving a car she has borrowed from me), but it wasn't so. People can hurt you when you would just like them to be and do right by themselves if not you. It's life, and you try to make it "potable" if you can. Having said that little bit of wisdom, you sound good. Hang in there tough. Bill Sipes

5:45 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Speaking of lies...I just happened to notice that at the top of your page you say you are in your mid-30's. ;)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Sorry 'bout the language?

We know you don't make a habit of it, A.I. and sometimes only an earthy, Anglo-Saxon word like that will do.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie!....

Bill, you are so very true.
"People can hurt you when you would just like them to be and do right by themselves if not you." Might as well make it "Potable". Being your profession I should know you were cutting up. It's good you can still be good to her.

Murf, your right, I'm in my late 30's. I've never bothered to change it. I ought to. But, in a sense I'm in my early 30's, my attitude hasn't changed much. Some of my views have, I've always been pretty grounded, I just see things in a different light than I did ten and fifteen years ago. My interpreter telling me I have "much youth about (me)" It kind of makes me feel funny to hear it. But, even after helping to raise a family I have still saw myself willing to start over, possibly doing it again. If the opportunity arose. It's weird to me I'm getting ready to be a "Step Grand Father". I listen to harder music than my kids. Now all of this is weird because I've always pretty much just been me and all of a sudden people are saying it to me. In some way's I can see how I have maintained the attitude. It's me thinking out loud, Murf(and the rest of you, you too Kitten). That's all this post was. I'm getting weirded out, I'm going to stop.

Thanks for the reassurance on that Gunner.

I'd like to have some breakfast.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, but is it a lie,or just perseption? a lot of times that is how the brain heals things that happen with us wheather it is a brused ego or seeing a plane crash..sometimes it's just how we are able to go on or make something more palitable..ask 10 differant people watched the same crash what happened,you'll get 10 differant stories.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You must be thinking out loud via your key board like me Ms. Kitten.
he never did say anything about no plane crash. I'll defend the boy on that.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's just it ai..self and life don't end, they continue togeather,,but we can use bookends like the bible and commnon sence..

11:41 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I agree...be yourself, then what you see is what you get. Either people will like you or not, but they see the real you.
Honesty is the best policy. (I even mention that I dislike dishonesty in my profile).
Keep taking good care of yourself cutie!
~xo

8:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Then it's almost like reinventing ones self, Kitten? Your so cute when you think out loud.

Lee Ann, I can't blame you. You think I'm taking good care of myself, but, my mother doesn't. Stop telling me I'm cute, it's making me blush.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought telling you how cute you were is why your head wouldn't fit in the othere photo...; )

6:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, you ladies are giving me stretch marks behind my ears.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I don't think you're cute, AI.

:-)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm glad somebody thinks so, Murf :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i liked this one best so far :) rock on. B.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home