Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

I can't think of a title

Merry Christmas...
bahumbug too. For some reason the Bold icon was unforgiving.
Everyone probably has this silly romantic picture you see on the news of GI's trying to enjoy Christmas...I'm pulling odd hours and other than a word to God treating it as any other day...except chow. It ought to be good...Speaking of good, I'm listening to the New York Dolls...New New York Dolls. Dance Like A Monkey!

A pleasant thing is the amount of Muslims that have said Merry Christmas to me. A couple of interpreters, a Jundi or two. One of my terps was telling me that the church in Baghdad was empty...Ramadan is supposed to be a time of peace, but it was a bloody month for everyone...why not there was a US election coming. That's even a great reason to kill each other.

It's natural to want to trust someone, but, in Iraq, you don't trust anyone. You don't completely trust your buddy because he's human, and while he will keep his mouth shut, or not steal your stuff, he's human and makes mistakes. But, by the nature of things you trust him with your life. As you work together a trust is earned. You don't trust the Iraqis period. It's nothing personal, they're desperate people. Despite their politeness, they are out for themselves. I know men who keep it secret from their own Brothers that they are in the Army. Or the terp that only his wife knew. No one trusted anyone here to begin with. Everyone is in tight cliques of family and tribe...Political ties.

The Shia are morbid people. (I mean no offense to my Shia friends) They often have a portrait of Hussein where ever they can put one. I've seen him on wall lockers, cell phones and stickers in in vehicles...Muqtadr Al Sadr is common too. For the most part Hussein's a handsome strong looking man...like a man with a mission. But then sometimes you see him in that leadership pose with a slash across his forehead. He's staring as if the cut is nothing with blood running down his face. His life/death is commemorated every year in a display of blood.

Iraqis aren't dumb. Yet, there is a vast amount of ignorance among them. Saddam cut the schools out so he could fight Iran, no one works, physical activity is discouraged...unless it's foot ball (Soccer to us Americans).They also have a naive perception of the West through Media, both theirs and ours. They believe the US is a great big stock pile of everything...But, so do way too many Americans. They don't have scenes of the desert, they have scenes of lush, green places. They love a garden.

Music Videos are popular. I like the videos of the Arab World...some of the best come from Lebanon, which speaks Arabic, but is not Arab people. They often have innocent stories to them and the women I found charming and beautiful... yeah, ladies, you know what I like. Some are really funny. They are mostly in the quasi Eastern/Western world.

Iraqis have a knack for obnoxious music...I'm not meaning Hip Hop Gangsta Rap, or as some would point out my Metal and Punk. They tolerate obnoxious noises, it's like the explosion behind them, they keep grinning and talking...It wasn't close enough. They carry on conversation in small crowded rooms, smiling the whole time.

I like Jundis...they are Iraqi Privates. Though they suffer from leadership, their Officers are simply self serving, selfish and uncharismatic. If giving some leadership, they will perform dutifully. I know one named Ali. He loves being a Soldier. He's serious in his duties, decently smart, young and energetic. He has ability, but, no one will develop it.

It takes ten years to develop an NCO Corps...with Iraqi Officers running things it may take twice if not three times as long. Despite that I do know a few that are professional, intelligent men. It's a good thing to work with them.


Many of the men I know have relatives in Europe. Anyone who can get out does. But, from what I make out most left well before the US invasion. In the meantime the west commits suicide through Cultural Marxism...

Now, I don't mean to pick on the Iraqis. In many places they have been very kind to me. There are some things I enjoy about them. I can admire them in some lights. So, enough of that...Peace on Earth...Even Appalachia

As I post this it's 0530 on the East Coast...Youngins waking up their parents all excited, some poor American House Wife is stressing over getting something perfect, when it won't be. If your reading this...Relax. Jesus didn't mean for us to be all stressed out.

It's Christmas and no one is reading this today, so, I hope you had a Merry One.
The Appalachianist


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I got up early and read my messages, and yes, I did read your message. It is cold and damp in Columbia, South Carolina. It iw raining. I am going to call my daughteer now and listen for her stress levels and remember what you said about Jesus. You are right. Take care. Every day take care. Merry Christmas

6:36 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Bill. Appreciate the rain. Hope your Daughter's stress level isn't too high.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey cutie~
Merry Christmas!
Have a safe and joyful holiday!
Love,
Lee Ann

12:15 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Merry Christmas to you, A.I. Hope you had a good one.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

hank Yu Lee Ann. Alway's calling me Cutie, your going to make my head swell...give me stretch marks behind my ears. I hope you had a Merry One.

Thanks Gunner, It wasn't too shabby. I hope you had a good one too.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

New York Dolls, huh? Praise the Lord and pass the mascara.

I am headed up to NC towards the end of Jan. Taking the wife for her first visit. So far she's seen Tampa, Orlando, Honolulu, and New Orleans. So, as Monty Python would say, "Now for something completely different."

Would take the opportunity to find my way to Transylvania County except, you know, for the whole you're not home thing. So maybe next trip.

Amen to the 11th Commandment. Jesus don't want y'all stressed.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I hope you and the Mrs. have a good trip...I hope she understands New York, because neither of us do.
I haven't been there since I was a yungin.

Yes, yes, your right, the eleventh commandment. Speaking of witch, Happy New Year.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it was raining all Christmas day here in transylvania as well. but that just makes the fog around the mountains that much prettier..i liked the pics, i am lucky that i have seen several of the slidshows you fellas have put togeather,,it helps alot to take in what is over there..

8:18 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Tom Cat's Kitten, Transylrainia is just as pretty as it can be...even with the over growth. Thanks about the pics. I heard there are some flurries around there today.

8:52 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I like that line about Jesus not wanting us stressed out. Take care of yourself and I hope at least your chow is good. I know you didn't get a white Chrstimas, but heck, even way up north it was in the 40s and I had to open a window to fire up the fireplace...

9:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Sage. I hope you had a Merry Christmas too. I can't believe that far north you have such warm weather.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Oooohhh...I've always wondered what you looked like with the lights off, AI. Thanks for that Christmas gift. :)

Also, is that the infamous mud that I see in the background?

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that your bicycle parked over there?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No that's not mud and no that's not my bicycle.

It's water on gravel.

That's someone elses, mine stays in the room.

Merry Christmas in retrospect, you'l.

Alright, I laughed Murf...

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction, Mr. Appalachian Patria dude. I am taking the wife to NC, not NYC. Why would you think I'd take her to New York? She's done nothing wrong.

Just messing with you because you read too fast. Slow down.

I am signed on anonymous because I don't feel like signing all the way out and signing in again properly. If I try just filling in the user name and password it EATS POSTS and makes me feel like Charlie Brown trying to fly a kite.

Ramblin' Ed

9:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm sorry Ed. That was so goofy of me...I had New York on the brain...I've known a few NC Dolls...Some were cooler than others.

I hope she enjoyed our wonderful state.
Did you go to the flat part, peidmont or Mountains?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

AH HA! I knew you would at least chuckle at that comment. Thanks for admitting to it. It must've been painful for you. ;)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I usually only smile for bear Dogs and Bikini Models...

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just want to fall out of my chair . . . and then again . . . . I had to go back and look at a plaque one of my classes gave me at Fort Jackson praising my "suttle approach and leadership." I told them the word was "subtile." I like the mountains myself. I don't know why really. I guess its just too subtle for me to understand. My dog's too old . . . he can't lick his behind, but he can laugh his . . . off! I ain't been to the coast in a while . . . . I quit. Take care of yourself.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home