Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Iraqi Dogs

It appears me and the Iraqi Lt. patched things up. He smiled, shook my hand and looked me in the eye today. All I did was make it a point to be engaging.

We've got wild dogs here. They don't pay you much mind. Lately over at the Iraqi Base HQ a dog has been hanging around with her pups. She apparently is weening them. They follow her around like sick puppies. I've managed to pet them some, but it doesn't look good for them. We're not allowed to adopt them and the Iraqis won't. They don't care much for Dogs. They're very scared of them for the most part.
Over in my area I'm authorized to shoot Dogs, but, every time I've seen them I've had something pressing. The main concern is disease. They pack up and go into yelping fits. But, if it was a great enough problem I'd hunt them. What I would do is bait them and get it over with. I'm not a Dog Lover, I'm a Dog Admirer.

The other day we had a convoy from Armor Group roll in. They had been hit by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on the way. It was on the other side of the road and only managed to crack the wind shield on one of the Gun Trucks (armored F350's). Later they had to stop for an IED further up the road. The area was cordoned off and a Dog ran out to the IED and set it off.

The guy that told me the story is from New Zealand. It's hard to keep up with what h's saying sometimes. he's a good fellar though.

The Appalachianist

27 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

What's the difference between a lover and admirer? You don't admire them because they have the ability to lick themselves, do you?

10:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

OK. Maybe it sounds corny. Let's say I respect Dogs. I even capitalize the word Dog.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I traveled a few weeks in Australia, and spent the evening at a Kiwi's house one night. So I can sympathize with what yous say about talking with them. It's almost as if they are speaking English...but not quite. Your ears think that they understand, but your brain says, "But the words are... not... making... sense!!" I think it has something to do with all their ridiculous slang that they fill a conversation with.

To follow Murf's point a bit, I'd have to say that I admire, or at least envy, the ability to lick oneself. The whole, "Hello there. I suppose I'll have a sniff of your butt now" scenario is, however, a bit off putting. So call it a raw.
Ed

11:50 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Sorry. In the above post I should say, call it a draw. Calling it raw is somewhat of a different kettle of fish.

R' Ed

11:51 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

The one thing about the sniffing of butts and other areas 'down there' that I like is that within 10 seconds, they know if they like you or not. I think that would be handy.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Suddenly, I realize, this post has gone to the dogs.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

*groan*

4:11 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I don't think I'd have the heart to shoot a dog either, A.I. unless it was rabid or causing some havoc or some such behavior. I do occasionally throw rocks at Elmo (the neighbor's good-for-nothing cocker spaniel mix) when he gets loose from his fenced-in yard and chases the cats (and I enjoy doing it!)

BTW, your mention of New Zealand brings back memories, A.I.

One of the worst hangovers I ever had was the morning after a dinner given in my honor (yes, it's true) by the RNZAF Senior NCO & Sergeants Mess at RNZAF Station Wellington.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, for the most part, thay look healthy enough. A while back we were cleanng up the parimiter and the dump truck wouldn't dump. So, were messing with the dump truck and they walk about five yards from us in about 5 yards away. Walked across the burm inot one of the many dumps here and staired at us as if they resented us watching them.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

real wild dogs can be vicious, these just sound like homeless muts.i guess they have no form of animal controll over there? well, besides shooting.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, we have animal control on the US side(known as Coalition)but, not on the Iraqi side. They've talked about poisining them, but they haven't. They really are not a great problem other than the potential for disease. The Iraqis are afraid of them, wont have anything to do with them. If they were a real problem, I'd killed them already. But, they're not.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I have pictures of the puppys but, it won't let me post them.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would get in trouble so fast,,i can't resist anything cute and fuzzy.i would have a farm if i could.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

That explains how you found AI's blog, Kitten. I don't think there's anything cuter or fuzzier than he is. Cute could be debatable but the fuzzy part cannot. ;)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Tomcatskitten's Mesopotamian Petting Farm...Bunkers to Barns. Now, that's a peace plan.

I can see her now Murf, Google searching for "Blogs of questionably cute fuzzy guys stuck like chuck in Iraq".

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(lol),,well, from a distance is the best way for a cat to play with a dog. but i was thinking fuzzy cat toys...

6:12 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

For the heck of it, I Googled that just in case there are more cute, furry creatures in Iraq. I got nothin'.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm begening to feel like spinning ball of yarn.
It's time for another post.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned that a dog ignited an IED well there you go...sapper dogs...don't laugh...the Bolsheviks used dogs trained to run under Nazi panzers in order to trip the ignition switches on the satchel charges the dogs were porting...I have a photo somewhere...

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Really, I never knew that. I'm not laughing, these heathens are. We don't make enough use of them. Some of it is not using imagination and some of it is one of the biggest problems we have in Western Civilization. Everyone is afraid of Liability. Don't laugh, I'm not kidding.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

Be safe, dude.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jinxy! Great to see you after all of this time. We're watching our six. Thanks.

9:59 PM  
Blogger sage said...

so the dog that set off the IUD just happened to be in the wrong place? You say the Iraqis are afraid of dogs, but how many keep dogs as pets, as guards? Keep safe.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yes, Sage, the dog ran out into the cordon. I don't know what kind of IED it was, if they knew they didn't say. It can take a long time to get what to us is a short way. Just from having to stop and wait on an IED. AS soon as they would have gotten a clear, they would have moved.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but ever since I read this posting to my dog she winks at me, but then it might be my imagination. I might add that my back has not been quite the same either. I don' know how they do it (the dogs), but don't laugh (the purpose of my posting)but did you notice the number of responses to your posting. Hope all is well with all you all. Take care Sarge.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, I'm typing out another Post, shway shway style. It made read oddly.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home