Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Break Out!

“And don't ever let them make you feel like saying what you want is unbecoming
If you were supposed to watch you're mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it

I’m not a pessimist, I’m not an optimist. I’m a realist. Saying the truth tends to bother folks. I got e-mails complaining about what I said of my return home. I said it the way it was and it was not unbecoming. And, not everything I said was negative.

That’s Bear Hunting

Monday was a pretty day. It was spent on a Bear Hunt. No one who has never been on a pack of Hounds with a Bear bayed up four yards away that you can’t see in the foliage knows the rush that goes through you. They don’t know the mix of amazement and disappointment you feel as it winds you and your partner and breaks out with the glimpses of Walker Hounds chasing after it. Listening to the chase go off through the woods you hear it bayed up again…then a shot.

Bears this year has bayed, none tree. That’s a matter of speculation. Why are they doing that?

I got to spend a little while with my teenage stepdaughter last night. She’s such a teeny bopper…adorable. She had a little stuffed duck named Ducky. One time we had to get their Mom, and the two kids along with myself in the cab of the truck. So, I put Ducky in back. Oh no…Ducky wasn’t going to ride in the back. She gave me the meanest stare. She still has that little stuffed duck. He’s been patched up, but, he’s beautiful. I held him there in my hands and the memories of helping raise those two kids flashed through mind. And, they never let me forget the time I cooked supper and it was three kinds of beans. I was somewhat an unconventional stepdadd. I didn’t think they ought to be fed that stuff about Santa Claus, but, I played along.

The last two weeks have been tiring. I can only say, I have allot of folks willing to support me if I need it. I don't like to bother anyone or admitt it. But, despite all, folks have only approached me with their best intentions.

My time is up. Leave is done. It’s time to go back to Iraq. I’ve been an oddity to people. I’m not sure what anyone had to make of me. I look forward to it. There I’m just another guy doing my job. I’ve wondered about my buddies and my Iraqi friends. What crazy things happened while I was gone? What progress was made and what do we need to work on? And…it’s been the same way here. Just, Iraq is crazier than the American Appalachians. Both places are misunderstood. Both places are fighting to place things in order. And…Down inside, I believe one day we’re both going to come out grinning.

It was sweet to hear those Church bells off in the distance…but, it’s time to go.

The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that's the problem with leave, you have to give 'em an ending date.

Take care of yourself over there, Sergeant and here's to the last half going as quickly as the first.

Godspeed!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't believe in Santa, please tell me that you know your Wicked Weasel pictures are airbrushed and they don't really look like that in person? ;-)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, your right. It goes quick.
Thanks.

Murf, if indeed they are airbrushed...It's better than a fat guy down a chimney.

my plane had problems and I've been stuck in Atlanta.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all goes by so fast ecxept when I am waiting for another post from all who respond. I try to keep up with the on going conversations, but I oten find myself wondering about it all. I really enjoy the reading, and I have learned more about everyone in the writing than I ever did in the conversation. I know this, and I know good luck, Sarge and God speed. Bill Sipes, SFC Ret

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, you have been home, now you are going back. Is it hard to go back (I mean even harder than when you first went)?

Stay safe cutie!

Tomorrow, mini movie with me...come see!

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found out why OUR bears weren't treeing. Jimmy C picked me up Saturday.
It is the first time he'd been out involved in bear hunting since last year. When given a choice for either Blue Valley or Wayah he chose BV 'cuz he is not interested in hogs which is what Mike was doing on Wayah. He sez the bears aren't climbing because there are no dogs with hair in their teeth (Plotts). There was a lot of mobility that day as in previous hunts there. At one point during a race we stopped right on the gamelands line and got out to listen. The dogs were coming down Clear Ck. from below the lakes and they were close and coming toward us! We immediately spread out. I and my SBE ran up the road around a bend (prevents possibility of fratracide if the bear were to run between us) to cover a small gap I thought it could run through. So there I was beside the road watching below. Closer and closer they came till I could here frantic rustling of footsteps through the leaves. I raise my shotgun and disengage safety. I see it...no...them. They're....deer!? 2 does and a nice buck. Remember that deer trail we found near the lake? One of the does start up the bank to get on the road and it stops 5 yards in front of me looks me over for 5 seconds and goes around me 20 yards below me. At the same time, Ronny drives from below and sees the doe cross the road. The 2 dogs giving chase are Blubber's and Hogjaw's. They catch hell the rest of the day. All I can say is if that have been a bear I would been tacticly correct in selecting my position.

7:39 AM  
Blogger sage said...

it's a bummer you having to go back so soon. stay alert and safe.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Did you get to vote or was that already taken care of by absentee?

Don't ever watch your mouth. Those that begrudge you your honest opinipn will begrudge you other things. I've had people stomp all over my opinion and storm off in a huff. I just smile and let 'em leave. Someone who believes they know how I should think is just a step away from trying to tell me what to think, and to that I politely say, "No thank you. We have AM radio talk show hosts for that."

Besides, here's a simple moralistic story:

I grew up in the southeast. Everytime some yank would come down and commence to bitching about the humidity I'd think, "Of course you're sweating. It's hot." See, I had never NOT known high humidity, so I couldn't understand how it could not be just accepted as a part of life. Then I went to San Diego for 18 months. Immediately upon returning home and stepping off the plane at Tampa International Airport, into a stifling blanket of wet, muggy air, I understood the tourist's point of view. The humidity was, in fact, quite oppressive. Now I knew what I didn't know. And I understood the tourists' point.

Likewise, if you have never stepped outside of our culture for even a few months, you do not realize just how whiny we (as a people) can be, just how oblivious we are, how frenetic our pace, or how generally rude our demeanor. You think you know. You have a hint of it. But leave and come back and you'll really see it. You'll know then what you didn't know that you didn't know, because you had never been outside of it. Or something like that.

As for the ursine tales: I've never caught a bear, but I have been caught bare. And, like a bad Mentos commercial, locked out of my hotel room. Luckily I was more inebriated than embarrassed.

Love reading your posts. They're thoughtful. Me? I got nothing. Well, a picture of a fish I caught. That's about it. So KEEP POSTING.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ooh. I've got myself allot of responding to do. OK, here goes.

SFC Sipes(RET!) Thanks man. Hope all is well. I got the message. It was a busy leave though.

Lee Ann, I'll check the movie when I can. One day, you'll break down and e-mail me. Until then, stay as sweet as a hot cup of Chai. ;)

Twister. They were running Deer? Now, that's the trouble with getting out of state dogs, or dogs from down east. Folks, Plotts are the king of the Bear Dogs. No offense to walkers, blue Ticks and such. Sorry I couldn't be there. But, glad I didn't get disapointed on that either.Folks, the two of us had a great Bear encounter. So did Bosco. Which is mad at me...

Sage. Thanks, I'll keep my powder dry. You too.

Ed. That was so true. all of it. Now tell me, were you really caught naked ouside your motel room? Now, we've got to hear this...Quick everyone, ovr to Ed's place!

I've done got myself a virus. Yep, suckss. Done tried numerous things, mainly while stuck in the Atlanta Air Port. I have no choice but to relaod this thing. I only hope I can save my pics and vids that I've yet to burn to CD.

Speaking of which, I do have part of a Bear Race on video to burn.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the e-letter I sent to Geico. I was angry when I wrote it. I've had enough.
"Geico’s obnoxious attitude in the way that it pushes its overrated service is an outrage that enrages me and thousands more like me. Geico obviously thinks that if it chops down enough trees to overload the capacity of mailboxes that it will succeed in coercing people (victims) into becoming customers (victims of coercion). From what I am told by people that have actually taken time to check and compare prices, “geico is a con” is the general consensus. Geico had rather spend the money with an aggressive sales campaign of pestilence rather than give quality service. Typical “northern yankee carpetbagger” attitude is my assumption of geico, based on the address on the last solicitation found my mailbox (one gecko plaza Washington, DC 20076-0001). Geico comes close to bringing out the worst in me when I get their trash in my mailbox once a week and sometimes twice. Seems they have somehow circumvented the do not mail list I rendered unto the U.S. postal service (who apparently have been serving themselves by selling my name). If geico thinks its aggressive sales techniques are going to work on me guess again! The stupid gecko commercials and burn barrel fuel (mail solicitations) might work on naïve children but it offends me when geico insults my intelligence like that. This is my way of returning the insult because I think geico really is nothing but a con based upon what I know of its beginnings and certain people behind it. Perhaps geico should send someone in person to convince me otherwise then I could REALLY express the way I feel. I promise to at least hurt their itty-bitty feelings if they aren’t there, in person so I can look them in the eye, to give me a sincere apology. Geico can start this process by sending or mailing an apology and an end to its mailborne solicitations. I’m waiting..."
Does anyone else have similar feelings at this blog. If so let's form the "Geckoslayers Legion" or something and fill THEIR mailbox full for a change.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Sorry, Twister. I'm not a Geico member. Although, isn't Washington DC actually south of the Mason-Dixon line which would make them not Yankees at all?

Other than that tiny point, great e-letter that you sent.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Interesting poitn, Twister.

Murf. while Maryland is not really Yankees, they were forced to stay in the Union, Washington DC instigated the whole matter, so, therefore are Yankess.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

That's a little nit picky, AI. ;-)

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home