Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Another Post

The Bug Spray Fairy came to see me. When I got in the other day there were two cans of bug spray at my door conviently left for me to fight the Sand Fleas that infest my room. Now if he could just leave me one of these

Mess-o-patamia

Well, Ramadan rumbles on. One of our Interpreters…he’s such a geek…was cutting up about not being able to eat. He also informed me that he was not able to drink water or fight. Bare in mind he’s a geek, although a likable geek, you would just not imagine this guy fighting. I told him to tell that to the guy’s that had dropped mortars on us earlier that day. “Those are not Muslims…They come from Iran, Syria and Jordan. They just want to fight.”

I can’t blame any Iraqi’s for not wanting us here. If they invaded me, even to get rid of a tyrant, and face it we have a few, I’d defend my “National Pride”. But, mostly innocent people are killed here. They kill people for trying to better themselves. That’s what pisses me off the most about them. Anyone able to get out of Baghdad is doing so. The only ones immigrating to Iraq, other than Westerners to do work on the bases, are the Mujahadeen. At least they see themselves as Mujahadeen. Shooting 8 year old boy’s at Gas Stations is not a Holy ethic. Not that I place all blame on the Muj’. Every time I hear of us dropping a 500lbs bomb to kill a couple of guy’s I cringe.

A couple of things you don’t know from watching the news. And, it ain’t like this is classified information, it’s all on the web. The average age of Insurgent or Terrorist (take your pick) is 27 years old and less than 5% of them have previous experience in Jihad. Of course some want to restore the Caliphate and other’s the Ba’ath Party. Those statistics are for those wanting the Caliphate, they provided them.

Christian Iraqi’s do exsist, and they are most likely leaving if possible. I’ve met one or two Christian Iraqi’s. The neighborhood across the river from the IZ is one of the biggest Christian communities in Iraq. For a very long time Christians were able to live here.



Now, those of us fortunate enough to be from North America, know Crows and Ravens to be all black. In Iraq they are black and white. I saw them while I was in the IZ, and recently here on Taji. They have black heads (and something just flew in front of my face) with black tail ends, white in the middle…Lika an Orio. They act like Crows, but, I don’t know if they are as intelligent. There are great numbers of Pigeons.

Insects are aggressive here. Fly’s buzz your face no matter how much you swat them. You feel like the beast on National Georaphic with the birds sitting on them.

Mail doesn't come every day. Sometimes every other day. One of the guy's will not be in, it's his day off or he's on nights, so, we'll call them and tell them they have mail. So, you tell them they got a letter that reeks of perfume from a guy named Steve. One of the guy's is going on his four day pass to Qatar. I told him his wife mailed his bikini to him today. We cut up in little way's. Everyone laughs, they ussually play along with the joke.

No Joking...It's time for bed

The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Aw darnit, Fish, you didn't get to enjoy Ernesto like those of us over here on the east side did (and still are!).

3:56 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Good Lord, that's a comment I made on another blog about 3 weeks ago. Good ol' blogger.com, it's free and you get what you pay for. My comment was supposed to be:

All of that aggravation and no Class VI or NCO Club to wash the dust down... how in the world do you all do it? Of course, the positive side it less Article 15s and general mischief, I suppose.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost didn't click on one of "theseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>" My goodness. The beaches looked nice.

7:54 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Good post, but you'll never make it as an Iraqi tourist agent! thanks for keeping us informed

9:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, that was weird. Of course it's not your fault. About the Class VI, Alcohol is sneeked on. I don't partake, and I haveturned down the opportunity. But, I don't have personal knowledge of someone having it.

Anon, Australia does have pretty beaches.

No, Sage, I won't be selling vacations to Iraq.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hasn't anyone built a still? Do the Iraqi's eat pigeons? Sulphur will get rid of fleas. What is a typical Iraqi meal? How much does a fifth of illegal alcohol sell for? Do the Iraqi's use American money or Iraqi money?

10:03 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

If one of those other things were left at your door, I'm sure sand fleas would be the lesser of your problems.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jimmy K:
Hasn't anyone built a still?...No, not my knowledge. Materials would be hard to come by. I have heard of it, bt, not on Taji.
Do the Iraqi's eat pigeons? I don't think so. I could be wrong.

I've chewed on match heads before, but, there are little matches here.

What is a typical Iraqi meal? Rice, flat bread(Which they tell us is superior to American Bread)Chicken or lamb or beef, some cucumber salad. Meat is often stewed with patatos. Sometimes with a tomato sauce. But, I've mostly eaten in the Iraqi Chow Hall. They tend to feed cheap.

How much does a fifth of illegal alcohol sell for? I have no idea.

Do the Iraqi's use American money or Iraqi money? Both. US $100 is the under ground currency of choice. it's everywhere and tainted with dope.
Thanks for coming by, I hope I answered your questions sufficeintly.

Murf...You had to ruin a good thought with reality. Bummer...

9:48 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Sorry, AI. Didn't mean to be the poop in the punchbowl.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Keep wishing, maybe you will get one of "those" delivered to your door! ;)

Christian Iraqi's, black and white crows, and agressive insects.

I thought I was having a bad weekend. Car broke down. Cannot fix it, too expensive. Need to buy a new(used) car, but don't know how...ugh...anyway, my week is still not as bad as I thought.

I hate flies in my face. I am sorry you have to endure all of that.
Here is a big hug
~xo
and air kiss!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I forgive you.

Lee Ann...Cheer up. God Loves you.
Hugs and Air kisses back.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Thanks, AI. You're swell.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home