Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Time

Back home the Katydids are sounding. They go all night long, from dusk to dawn. On a hot night in August they can be so loud. Katydidit. Katydidit. Katydidit. It's a loveley rackett. As the nights get cooler they slack off to a simple "katy". Getting fewer by the night. Folks who've never been to the Appalachian Chain don't know the sound. If you are ever there in the late summer, listen and keep it in your heart.
I'm not in Appalachia though. I'm in Iraq on the Mesopatamian Plain. You don't hear singing insects here at night. The nights are still with the occasional sound of distant explosions. Some a little closer than the others. You hear it and then you learn what happened the next day. Sometimes. One morning a loud explosion woke everyone early. It woke people clear across Taji. Nobody's figured out where the thing hit. Luck, I don't know. It's been a while back.

The last few mornings have been cooler. My Interprators tell me that the rain is coming soon. They say it with a releiving smile. But, the rain brings mud. The ground here is clay, a grey powdery clay. Wind picks it up and carries it threw the air. Water sits on it though. Every "public" building has a mud scraper near the door. Everywhere you look you can see where trucks have made ruts in the muddy earth. Trucks spray the road with water to keep the dust down, for 15 minutes the mud slings onto vehicles and stays there. It's like glue.

Concrete is inferior here. It's not mixed with sand, but the dry clay dust. There are warehouses all over Taji that we bombed during the first war. Some may have been poorly built, but their falling down. I've seen where corigated card board was stuffed into supporting concrete beams as a filler of sorts. Where all of this is so poor to western standards, to the Arabs, it's not as much of a problem. I suspect it's partly due to their vision of time. If it's good today, then it's good enough. There is only today. Tommorow may never come. Inshalla...If God wills it. The Desert is an unforgiving place and I can see it evolve from there.
Meanwhile in the west we build houses to outlast us by many years. Like a monument to ourselves. As if we never see our society failing. We plan forward and sometimes that morphs into our perceived imortality. Being here and turning things over in my mind reinforces the notion of making the best of the day you have...while not losing sight of tommorow.
Time is a tool and time is a weapon. It's always in short supply and high in demand. Time is a space to be occupied, used, cherished, honored and gaurded. Time goes on forever and we can't get enough of it.

En Avant, En Avant...Viva le Appalachia
The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Feeling a bit philosophical today, I see. Also, the Arabs vision of time hasn't changed over the centuries. How they are living today is not all that different to how they lived in the past unlike here in the States.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Your description made me feel as if I could see it and feel it.
Thank you for bringing the vision to us.
I hope things are going well for you.
As always, stay safe.
~xo

11:30 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Katydids, I just swept a dead one off the patio today and darned if it didn't take flight once it got airborne. I guess it was just resting up some.

Yep, Fall is coming here to the Appalachian foothills. The past few days the hummingbirds are really hitting the feeders fast and furious. I told Mrs GunTrash that we better enjoy 'em, cause in a few days they'll be no more until late spring '07.

I don't know which I'd prefer, mud or chalky dust. Don't sound like much of a choice, either one. :-/

5:38 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

M!, your right.
Lee Ann...Uhm, OK. Just be glad you can't taste it. XO to you too.
Gunner, last summer, my dadd had a humingbird do the same thing after a mid air collision.

Yeah. Iraqi's think alot of crab grass.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Geez, I think that's the first time you ever said I was right. I'm saving this. ;-)

I too think a lot of crabgrass.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You better bottle it up for a museum.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Hi Appalachian!

Just stopped by to say hello... ;)

12:10 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Although I may be deep down a Tarheel, there's something about the desert that draws me toward it. I like your descriptions, but I'm still drawn to the high deserts of the American West.

Have you read Paulo Coelho? I just read his short little work, The Alchemist, about a boy taking a journey across the deserts--good stuff in that book about deserts.

Keep your head low and stay as cool as possible.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You should come back more often, Annalis.

Sage, I can't say that where I'm at is very much desert. The Tigris is not far away. There are trees, not many though. Closer to the river are palms. The high ground has "terpa trees" on them. They are really bushes, but, there is no parralell in Arabic. It's real scrubby stuff.
I havn't read The Alchemist. I'll keep it in mind.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Something just for you....here today! Happy HNT! :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

LEE ANN, it's friday morning here, but,thank you...very much.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home