Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Scrounging

Excuse Sgt. Soto's language.

This picture and the last two I took while scrounging for some metal in some of the remote and unused buildngs on Taji. Scrap metal is nothing in short supply here, it's everywhere. It's only a matter of finding what you need.

I'm glad today is over with. It was chaotic, most every day is but everything was happening at once. At one point both of my cellphones were ringing while I was being called on the radio. Everything pulled off OK though.

I carry a Military cellphone, an Iraqna phone, and two Motorola radios, monitoring two differant nets. yeah, I know it's weird.

There is an eight hour differance between here and the east coast. Alot of you are going to bed when we're getting up.

The day before yesterday I sat in an S2 breif where it was stated that the high would be 115F. It's alway's hotter than what they call for. At 1600 there was a net call that it was 130F. 110 is nothing. It's like one of our Officers joked, you could bake cookies in the open air.

Someone gave me a Cross today. That makes three Cross's I carry.

People back in the States just don't understand the daily chaos that goes on here. Yes. there is occasional violence, multiple times a day depending on where you are at, but it's the managment of resources, services and the little things that are taken for granted. ..Not to mention peoples attitudes. You get so aggrevated with Iraqi's and you just can't help but like them.

Your not going to make sense of things here just reading the news.

Yep, I've typed enough, wish I could post more often. Heck, this is my second time trying to get this darn pic posted.

Until the comments rickle in...
The Appalachianist Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

shall we send you cookie dough instead of the real thing, and let you bake your own? 130, that's hot, I've been in 125 degree temperature, and felt I could barely breathe. Take care and thanks for giving us an update.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Damn, that is HOT! Have you had any time getting acclimated, or has it been this hot since you have been there?
I am sure the little things we take for granted here, we should all appreciate much more than we do.
I think of you a lot.
Stay safe.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It appears I have questions to answer. I don't mind.

Murf, differant people gave me the cross's. I was also given a four leaf clover by a former inlaw of sorts. I sppose 1 is as good as three, but, people give you things like that for a reason. Now, the stuff sent from home, and from perfect strangers. Snack crackers, Crystal Lite, Lemonade mix, Jerky of sorts and so on. I have a decent stock of personal hygene stuff. It's come from coworkers, family, old freinds and folks that read this.

Sage, it's a dryheat here. Feels like a frying pan. Cookies would fry before they bake. When scrounging the metal I had to wear gloves becaus it burns your hands. Was that 125 a wet heat? Gosh I hope not.

Lee Ann, it is damn hot. It takes a body two weeks to climatize to an enviroment. When I got to theator on June 9th right about dark it felt like that on the tarmac. Kuwait this time of year is like a blow dryer spitting sand. But, to answer your question it's usually a little over 120 each day. It actually felt a little cool this morning.

If youl will notice, you never hear of politicians coming to Iraq in August.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...interesting point, T&A but yet the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders tour the area in the summer. Just goes to show ya that women are heartier than men. ;-)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'll keep my eyes open for them, Murf.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Jimmy K. said...

What is the attitude of the Iraqi people you know to the idea of democracy? What do they think will be the ultimate outcome?

9:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jimmy, I don't know if they know what the outcome will be. Bare in mind I work with those that work with us. I have several out of the blue just say "Iraq mu zein", Iraq no good. Or grinn at me and say Amarica good, Iraq no good. Shaking their head as they say it. They see our abundance and think that it's limiltless. They think everything is still made in America. So, when you say Democracy(wich we really don't have) they think of our prosperity and want to emulate it. But, not all of them want to come to a consensus either. In the past in order for someone to do well in their society it didn't take hard work, it took knavery. I beleive the word may fit.
They really never openly discuss it. They complain about the way things are, but, they never talk of the outcome.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Amarica/America...You'l get my drift.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd mail you the articles but they keep getting culled or censored. I just sent you a military.com article about the new pig (m240g) and it got sent back to me so this is how I get you those articles.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Twister, I'm getting it off of a servor in Brevard. Sometimes things will get get caught by my Postini spam gaurd. It's no worse than what you can read in the stars and stripes. You don't have the in service sensorship you would think here.

10:08 PM  
Blogger sage said...

nah, that 125 was in a ravine in the Mojave Desert--it was baking but dry. take care of yourself, you hear!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home