Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Odd things back home.

I first heard tell of this in an e-mail from Jellouise and the Reguvinator. My Mother comfirmed it in a phone conversation this week (My first call home). My Father e-mailed me the story, wich is pasted below.
Back Home, in Transylvania County NC, an Alligator was found in the French Broad River. Those of you not familiar with The French Broad, must know that it's not a warm river by Southeastern standards. Even Rivers in the Peidmont, wich feels like an Inferno to the high valleys of Appalachia are not warm enough throughout the year to supprt such creatures. Heck, I thought it was something when one was on the Chatahoochee on the lower part of Ft. Bennining.
Anyhow, someone put the thing in that river. Wich, you will learn from the article is just plain foolishness on several counts.


BREVARD – For more than 15 hours over three days, they stalked their prey.

Finding the alligator was no problem, even for a trio of amateurs from a paddling business. Catching it was harder.

But about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, the wire loop of Sid Cullipher’s catchpole snagged the alligator between head and forelegs. One savvy application of duct tape later, they had bagged the mysterious creature roaming the French Broad River.

The reptile that boaters have reported seeing in recent weeks is a juvenile American alligator more than 3 feet long. It’s at Brevard College until officials figure out where to send it.

Lori Williams, wildlife biologist with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, said the American alligator is listed as a federally threatened species, and the college cannot keep the animal without proper permits.

At first some thought the animal was a caiman, a close cousin of the alligator that some people keep as a pet. But Cullipher said it’s not hard to buy an alligator despite its protected status.

“Apparently you can buy them off the Internet,” he said, “and I know in Florida especially there’s some kind of shady alligator ponds that will sell you hatchlings.”

Growing up in Florida, Cullipher used to handle small alligators. He didn’t expect to go after any as program manager of Headwaters Outfitters in Transylvania County.

But spurred by concern that the gator might die in the cold mountain water or be shot, he enlisted Aaron Motley and Adam Beason and hunted it down.

It didn’t all go smoothly. Once he had the wire looped around the gator, Cullipher tried to wade ashore only to sink past his knees in mud. The reptile swam toward the canoe as his captor tried to wrench free of the mud, surprising Motley enough that he leapt backward out of the boat in surprise.

Once on shore, though, Cullipher got the alligator on its back and brought his hand up its stomach slowly until he could clamp its mouth shut. He wrapped its snout with duct tape and put the animal in a burlap sack.

He hopes authorities will prosecute whoever abandoned the gator, which he said is just as illegal as possessing one.

“Someone could have gotten hurt,” Cullipher said. “This is a wild creature, a three-and-a-half-foot gator. It could take a chunk out of you.”

Gary Peeples, with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said because the alligator was probably in contact with humans before its release into the river, it likely would not be a candidate for re-introduction into the wild.

“I’m almost certain because it was in found in the French Broad River that this animal has had anything but a normal life so far,” Peeples said.

Chuck Byrd, chief of Transylvania County Animal Services said the animal would be relocated but declined to give specifics.


So, there you have it folks. I'm glad it didn't bite nobody.

The Iraqi Chow Hall smells pretty good this morning...
The Appalachianist

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exotics have no place other than where they came from. That is why we don't have chestnuts anymore. There should be strict regs addressing this along with severe penalties.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That is absolutly true, Twister. Now, the best hope for the American Chestnut is the Chinese. The carrier is now looking to be the savior. It's an Irony isn't it?
But one thing about that. Exotic women should be a complete go.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

What sort of breakfast do they serve in the Iraqi chow hall?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, you'll have to ask someone besides me about that. It's out of my league.

AGT, mostly Boiled eggs and such. They allway's have rice for Dinner and Supper alom=ng with a Cucumber Salad, a meat and flat bread. I'm doing KBR this morning.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I will come back again later..promise! Happy Wednesday, love me and the margaritas... sweet dreams!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home