Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Schway Schway...

Schway Schway. Little by little I learn more of the language, a little more of the culture. There is no better teacher than the Iraqi. . Show your curiosity and the Iraqi will show you they’re ways. They are more than eager to share, they will always offer a seat to a stranger, always offer food and drink. There is a hospitality that exists in the desert. They’re a hard people, the results of a hard climate. Loving to a friend, brutal to an enemy.
Inshalla…If God Wills It. Back where I come from folks are prone to say "Lord Willing". That’s reserved for long term and often difficult tasks that are prone to interference of circumstances. That doesn’t parallel here. It’s said liberally for the simplest of things. An Iraqi Jundi one night told me after I advised him to wear Helmet and Body Armor "Inshalla, all men die in their own time". That’s something I do agree with to a point, yet he was so casual in saying it. I replied that God helps those who helps themselves. He smiles and say’s Inshalla. There is nothing that they don’t see as Inshalla other than their own carnal pleasures.
One of my Iraqi Counterparts joked that I should be adopted into his tribe and that he would see to it that I had a good wife with big boobs then went into a string of obscene comments of her wifely duties. They think it terrible that I don’t have a wife, not understanding why I’m not married. None admits missing their wife for any other reason than the flesh. They boast of their children’s being not their deeds. That they exist is enough.
One of my Interpreters told me that God has cursed Iraq and blessed the Untied States because Iraq still practices slavery and the United states does not…"All men a free". He gave the example that in the Iraqi Army Soldiers have to obey Officers orders no matter what they are. The less fortunate are obligated to the more influential. "Slavery…You know what I mean slavery?"
An Army is a beast of procedures. The Iraqis don’t understand this. They ask me for answers. I often stand there just as frustrated with the procedures as they are. T.E. Lawrence said that "Arabs believe in people, not in institutions", this is true and I can’t say that I blame them.
The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, to enlighten them as to why I'm not married would be telling the story of my life. My Ex is probably laughing now. As for Polygamy, several of them are Polygamist. Some will tell you one wife is plenty enough.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey, once again, so glad to hear from you. I am glad you stop over, then I know to come see you.
I found your post extremely interesting. Thank you for the insight. Learning a new culture is fascinating.
So, what does schway schway mean?
Be safe...

12:57 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, Schway Scway means, little by little, slowly or so so. Sofi Dofi means nothing much. Means the way it sounds.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

This is my other site!

Oh, I guess I will be learning schway schway from you! ;)

Happy Thursday!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

This has nothing to do with nothing except address a problem a few posts back. I write everything in text instead of Word. It's not so robust in the formatting department, but for lyrics, and blog posts it is just fine. And you don't have to mess with the Word program at all.

My dad used to carry a photo of an extremely unattractive woman in his wallet as he traveled for his job. He said he stuck it to the motel room wall with a thumbtack, and when she started to look good he knew it was time to come home off the road. That is why I offer you livermush. Should you ever say "yes, that would go good right about now" I will immediately do two things:
1) Not send it because you really wouldn't like it and I hate to waste it.
2)Write Congress and tell them to get you home now. NOW DAMMIT because he's losing it.

Later Daze

9:31 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I wouldn't say that is their single motivation. I avoid those subkects to a point with them.

Lee Ann, nice new site. It's friday here now, 0700, but, thanks for the Thursday wish.

Ed, Livermush is real spooky. Some mornings I just don't have the appetite for breakfast. So, I snack on stuff mailed from home instead, like this morning. But, that would be a pretty good way of judging time. Thank goodness they have sweet tea.

It's funny, they put another Brigade on the place and start working on the Chow Halls, cutting the darn things in half. The food is good here though.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's not exactly intact. Beef Jerky makkes the trip well. Murf, Livermush is just...ground liver and some other junk thrown in it. Ed, likes it, and Scrapple too.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home