Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Random Stuff

AFN Radio, which has a Planet Station feed from the States, played Helmet’s “Unsung”… “Dieing to young is far to boring these day’s”. Not bad for preprogrammed radio. Helmet is just plain cool. I always perceived the song to be about attention seeking assholes. Maybe that’s the reason I do this. It was never intended to be. But Blogland is full of people fishing for compliments. “Your will to speak clearly has gone too far”.

The last couple of days have been one chaotic event after the other. Friction…Clauzwits Friction. If you can’t laugh or be easy going then you’re going to burn out or become so pessimistic you’re useless.

I was talking to a Convoy Commander the other morning, a civilian; he pulls a Buckeye out of his pocket and rubs it. He has about rubbed through it. I made the comment I had one at home, but carried three crosses and a four leaf clover that had been giving to me. He pulls the same cross out f his pocket that was giving to me the other day. It was given to him by the same guy. They knew each other at anothe FOB. He was worried his Bird Dog back home had turned into a pet.

One contractor had an RPG shoot through the rear door windows of their armored F350. It went straight through, not going off. Don’t tell me God wasn’t looking after them. I’m pretty impressed with the Armored F350’s. I saw one that had been hit by a 155 shell wrapped in ball bearings. Fortunately from afar. It had several holes in it but none made it through. One had bounced off of the Gunners Box in the rear. Nobody got hurt.

It was a while back but some Marines had a mortar round come threw their HMMV and lodge in it.

I’ve also seen an unarmored IP truck where they were clearly shooting for the heads. One round had gone threw the hind part of the door of the passenger side and through the head rest. The round missed him, and may have hit someone in the back.

Bosco, which if you don’t know is my Dog, apparently got her self swatted by a bear. I’m told she has a place on her, but she’s fine. Man, she hates them things.

That picture is a Dust Storm. It coats everything when it does that. Iraq is the dustiest place on Earth.

The Appalachianist

Posted by Picasa

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like that bird dog is getting some good lov'in on him. Hope the same for Bosco.

A pleasure (blog wise)to hear/read your words...about home, war, girls, you.... You bring your own brand of uniqueness to the web.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

A dog needs to hunt. Thats all.

yes, a Buckeye is a nut and their known for luck.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Thank goodness Bosco is all right. From those pics of her you posted in the past she sure looks to be a fine dog.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See there you go with that comment. A dog needs to hunt. That's all.
So the dog will get a little retraining for the hunting season. And in the mean time...as I said before...getting some good lov'in. I'd be in so much trouble taking care of a hunting dog. I had a 18 inch lizard (jessica) that was loved. Creatures and love just go hand in hand with some.

1:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

thanks for keeping us informed and glad your dog is well after tangling with a bear.

Murf, your from where and you don't know what a buckeye is? They're a nut from Ohio, who always plays the Wolverines in Football (of course, they're no real wolverines in MI)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Sage - I thought maybe it was something else since I can't image rubbing a hard nut so much that you rub through it.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Also, Sage...T&A will be disappointed that his transplanted NC brother knows so much about Michigan. ;-)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I lived up in Dayton Ohio area for about 20 years and they always told me that the best part of Michigan was under water.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I knew there are no wolverines in Michigan. I can see where the best parts would be under water, those cedar swamps are great for deer hunting.

I talked about bullet holes and RPG's and all everyone has to say is about dogs. Janie, if a dog doesn't hunt they get rusty.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Now you know that there is a Bosco fan club. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back...perhaps there will be a story about her or perhaps a picture of you in boots. ;-)

8:58 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, Bosco is a brave dog! A bear? I have never seen one up close.
I hope she is all right.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had to drive around in Iraq... it would be in a Stryker! ( :

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got through washing dishes too Helmet's Betty album and think I need the brand new one. Perhaps you do too. Going up top tommorrow to set up stands. Hogs are still there and a bear or three. Bear hunters been encroaching on us slightly training there dogs. So the bears are back at your house. Maybe we can sneek and get him when you are in.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, YOU"L> Sorry I didn't get to yo earlier. I never look at past post worth anything.

Bosco has a fan club...She would get a kick out of it. Yeah, Bosco is feirce on bears, terrified of lightening. I figure she has had a scary summer.

Preseason pressure can be a real problem. Are you planning on hunting up high? Well, you ain't reading this anyway. We'll get together. I'll get you hooked up.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home